PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie Question

reefgirl189
12-07-2011, 12:21 AM
All my research points to the fact that if you want to grow corals, you have to have great calcium levels. You need to buy a fancy smancy calcium reactor or dose kallwasser, etc.

Why is it that so many members on this site have tanks that make me drool, with beautiful soft, LPS and even SPS corals that look like they are thriving and all you (general you) have in your setup is some decent to good lights, a skimmer and live rock? How do you guys do it? Am I thinking too complex when it's really quite simple?

reefwars
12-07-2011, 12:26 AM
All my research points to the fact that if you want to grow corals, you have to have great calcium levels. You need to buy a fancy smancy calcium reactor or dose kallwasser, etc.

Why is it that so many members on this site have tanks that make me drool, with beautiful soft, LPS and even SPS corals that look like they are thriving and all you (general you) have in your setup is some decent to good lights, a skimmer and live rock? How do you guys do it? Am I thinking too complex when it's really quite simple?

alot of corals need food, tank maturity,good lights and good water parameters(even if you have to dose) backbone to good coral growth:)

Nano
12-07-2011, 12:26 AM
different strokes for different folks so it seems, there are tons of opinions and ways of doing things, no way is right or wrong per say, but there is always a better way. I have heard of people not using dosing units either (I'm new by the way lol) and I am currently not using one, and my corals are growing! not in huge amounts but they are growing. but let some one a little more experienced then my self tell you the "right" (best) way for things to flourish.

BlueTang<3
12-07-2011, 12:29 AM

It is because you never see under the skirts :smile: I could not jam another thing under my stand.

BlueWorldAquatic
12-07-2011, 12:34 AM
LOL, so true Wes, I know the reactor you have.

Depending on your tank size, you can get away from a calcium reactor.

Lots of things to dose, just depending what you want to keep.

You just have to keep the levels at stable state so you hard corals have building blocks to grow. Could be as simple as adding AragaMilk.

Ken - BWA

jtbadco
12-07-2011, 12:39 AM
I imagine it might be different or more difficult in a larger tank but I do my 33 gal reef with all kinds of LPS, softies and even a few SPS.

I dose Purple-Up and SeaChem Reef Calcium every 4 days.

I think in larger tanks, some type of automated system that would keep levels stable would make your life much easier.

Nano
12-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Ken you mentioned dosing aragamilk, I was steered away from that earlier last month (sorry not trying to steal the thread) is it something I should use from time to time? the only thing thats ever off in my tank now that I'm working the bugs out, is my calcium which is low usually around 320-340 and my alk is usually around 12-13dkh on the high side.. maybe you could (or someone else who is smart) PM me whats best in my case so as not to steal the thread from our new guy here?

reefgirl189
12-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Ken you mentioned dosing aragamilk, I was steered away from that earlier last month (sorry not trying to steal the thread) is it something I should use from time to time? the only thing thats ever off in my tank now that I'm working the bugs out, is my calcium which is low usually around 320-340 and my alk is usually around 12-13dkh on the high side.. maybe you could (or someone else who is smart) PM me whats best in my case so as not to steal the thread from our new guy here?

Steer away. Learning is learning and I'm trying to get a grasp on everything so every tip helps.

But answer another one of my questions too please (everyone). I'm getting a 180 gal with 30 gal sump (courtesy hawkaholic) this weekend and already ordered an apex controller for it. Hawk had a beautiful set-up with corals and the like and I believe his lights, the ones coming with the set-up, to be appropriate for coral growth. I'd like to someday upgrade the sump to accomodate a refugium but financially this will have to wait. Do you think with consistant water changes and proper maintenance that I should have the need to invest in a calcium reactor? Do you think I'll need to be dosing often? We would like to aim this tank towards a SPS/LPS reef with perhaps some soft corals long term. If so, given the fact that this system will be automated with the Neptune Systems controller, can I perhaps get a cheap automatic doser for this unit?

I know this question is loaded and depends on many factors but I just need to know that it's not too difficult to grow these beautiful corals. We have installed an RO unit and will be using good quality water. Also, I am extremely anal when it comes to my 'pets' husbandry and won't buy a thing unless I have done enough research to know that I won't kill it.

So yeah folks! Educate me!

e46er
12-07-2011, 01:50 AM
the amount of calcium and alk you need to dose depends on your coral load

softies dont use much LPS use more SPS use lots and clams use TONES (apparently -Ive never had a clam)

I use dry chemicals for dosing I did the daily hand measure and dose but that got old REAL quick so I invested in an automatic doser worth every penny - my favorite upgrade Ive done

never use Kalk or a Ca reactor but from my planted tank days refilling CO2 gets to become a pain in the ass So thats why i went the dosing pumps route

takes me in total about 15 min a month to make up new solutions.

heres a good read on dosing
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

reefwars
12-07-2011, 01:55 AM

the only reason we steered you away from using aragamilk is that your tank is small and the corals you have dont demand alot, water changes in your case should be enough for now as your getting the hang of things.now that your tank is in better conditon and the panic has dropped you can tr to boost your calcium but do so slowly....kalk imo is a tried tested and reliable way to do so, once your calcium is higher your alk will start to fall into place, in a small tank like your (15g lol sorry had too lol) dont dose too much or too many things start with one and start slowly,keep a record of what you dose,how much and when you do it, then record how long it took for your calcium to fall(doubt it even will):)

marie
12-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Reef tanks can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. If you are planning on corals then alk, Mg and cal test kits are a must......everything else can be done by hand or as fancy shmancy as you want to make it

I don't use an automated topoff, dosing pumps or even a calcium reactor anymore, I just dump the required alk and cal into the tanks by the cupful every morning and top off with the required fresh water every night.....but that is kind of labor intensive, luckily I enjoy it :lol:

*edit* Oh and I have a 175g bowfront packed with sps, a 120g with clams, some sps, mushrooms and zoas and a 60g cube in the process

intarsiabox
12-07-2011, 02:28 AM
I wouldn't worry about dosing anything for some time yet. You won't know anything until your tank is set up and has been running for awhile. Then it is time to buy some good quality test kits and see if you really need to dose anything at all. Never dose anything without testing for it first. Some salts have a fairly high calcium content to it to begin with and it may be awhile before your system starts using up more than you are adding with your water changes.