PDA

View Full Version : My LED Project

Brandon5555
12-06-2011, 06:25 PM
So, instead of devastating my savings account on an ecotech radion, i've decided to build a DIY LED set up. Does any body have any ideas for a housing? and Im going to have about 24 bulbs over a 40 gallon breeder. 2 watt cree, or 3 watt? It will be for sps.

tang daddy
12-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I recently built a DIY fixture with 3w crees from rapid led.

I ordered the heatsinks from heatsink USA, for a 40g breeder I am assuming it's 3ft long. You will need a heatsink of 10"x30" at a minimum so that its not dark at the ends. If you have a canopy it's easy enough to mount the heatsinks in it using aircraft cables. I would also use 36leds as 24is too little for an sps tank.

You will also need a solder gun and tester to test LEDs and driver when hooking it up, also a controller if you decide to have it do sunrise and sunsets.

You're looking at about $500-600 all said and done maybe alittle more.

Do some proper research before jumping on it and good luck!

Nano
12-06-2011, 08:53 PM
nice this is a thread I can read! I am interested in doing leds on my next tank as well and 3w crees were one of my picks along with modulars. I will be watching your progress! :)

molotov
12-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I too would recommend Modular LED. I like what he's done by using the boards and eliminating the need for soldering your led's together. I was thinking of building a fixture but will have to wait because my tank hasn't yet been delivered.

I was originally going to use the AI mounting rails.
http://www.modularled.ca/ai-sol-mounting-rails/

However I was recently at Rona and they had different lengths of Aluminum that were "L" shaped that would have worked perfect for mounting the heatsinks. The finish on the aluminum strips are quite nice and would match the heatsinks perfectly. It would almost look like they were made for each other and wouldn't look something like a frankenbuild. The heatsinks would be exposed but wouldn't look much different than how the AI SOL's mounted. Just a thought you might want to consider.

phi delt reefer
12-06-2011, 08:59 PM
speak with milad at ledgroupbuy.

he has some new colors in and the kids on canreef are doing some neat stuff with color blending.

philg3
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Chris,

What combo LED colors did you end up going with. When i bought your halide pendants you were talking about how the Royal Blues were too "Disco-Raveish".

mseepman
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I would look into the 24 bulb premium dimmable solderless kit from reefledlights. Pricing is good and after using bjb connectors, I'm loath to ever have to solder again. I wouldn't use heatsinks as they cost a fortune to get here in Canada...I'm using just good sized u-channel and you can customize how that will look for you for cheap.

ponokareefer
12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Here is a link to my recent build through modularled.ca.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80649&highlight=125+led

Super easy to deal with and great price. Plus, he is pretty close to you as he is out of Red Deer. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me as I just finished this build.

I went with 38 LED's over a 125 gallon using the new 3 watt Cree HEW's for white's, so I think 24 should be lots if you use the same HEW's.

Reefer Rob
12-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Hey Tang Daddy, did you get you're LEDs hooked up over you're tank yet? I've had mine going for almost a week. Yee-ha, colors on steroids, hopefully the corals grow well.

toytech
12-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Aquastyleled.com is also an option if your not set on crees or your like me and poor. I got 2 of the 24led kits and am very happy

The Grizz
12-07-2011, 04:02 AM
Im also doing a large LED built with Modular LED. Building my own heat sinks 39" x 12" & splitting 272 LEDs per heat sink, 5 -120w drivers, 2 - 75w drivers, 2 - 38w drivers and 6 - 120 mm fans all controlled by my Profilux 2EX controller. Using cool white, cool white HEW, nuetral white HEW, blues, royal blues, red, green & XP-G cool white for high noon kit.

Beverly
12-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Im also doing a large LED built with Modular LED. Building my own heat sinks 39" x 12" & splitting 272 LEDs per heat sink, 5 -120w drivers, 2 - 75w drivers, 2 - 38w drivers and 6 - 120 mm fans all controlled by my Profilux 2EX controller. Using cool white, cool white HEW, nuetral white HEW, blues, royal blues, red, green & XP-G cool white for high noon kit.

I really want to see what mix of colours you use. Ponokareefer's colour selection was pretty good and I'm hoping to see what you do.

Plus, 272 LEDs per heat sink?!? Like, OMG, dude :eek: :eek:

Nano
12-07-2011, 04:29 AM
I really want to see what mix of colours you use. Ponokareefer's colour selection was pretty good and I'm hoping to see what you do.

lol thats like brighter then a metal Halide!

The Grizz
12-07-2011, 04:31 AM

Hope to start building this week. It's going to be 272 LEDS TOTAL split on to 2 large heat sinks for my 300 gal 8'er.

Nano
12-07-2011, 04:35 AM
Hope to start building this week. It's going to be 272 LEDS TOTAL split on to 2 large heat sinks for my 300 gal 8'er.

thats a big build Greg! I hope to get to that point someday *insert positive star wars quote here*<--- "Much learning you have still young padowan!"

The Grizz
12-07-2011, 04:47 AM
thats a big build

You have no idea Grasshopper :lol:Watch for the build threads.

syncro
12-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Some info on LED color choices

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246394

SauceBoss
12-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Royston?

Reefer Rob
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Some info on LED color choices

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246394

That's a good link. It saves you from having to read the huge RC LED aesthetics thread it references.

tang daddy
12-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey Chris,

What combo LED colors did you end up going with. When i bought your halide pendants you were talking about how the Royal Blues were too "Disco-Raveish".

I went with 56 LEDs on 2 heatsinks, 14 rb 14 b and 28 cw. The colour is ok for now, I still feel it's abit on the dark side with lenses in the middle and edges. I am also running 2 overdriven t5 for supplements. Not discoish at all now but may add more regular blues to get a more 20k look, right now I would say it's a 12k look running the t5 and LEDs.

Hey Tang Daddy, did you get you're LEDs hooked up over you're tank yet? I've had mine going for almost a week. Yee-ha, colors on steroids, hopefully the corals grow well.

Hey Rob, LEDs are running for about a month now. I ended up melting and bleaching a few montis like my forest fire digi, pokerstar and rainbow. The lenses really focus the light. In the next few weeks or maybe after the new years I will be turning the cw up to 1000ma, currently all running at 700ma. As for the sps they have colored up alot more under these lights, the LEDs sit about 4" from the surface with 80 degree lenses, acros are about 4-6" under the surface. I am happy with the LEDs for sure!