PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Mag 7

Leon71
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I have a Mag 7 pump that I bought about 5 years ago. I decided to use it for my 120g. Being that the tank is drilled with a 1" bulkhead (600gph), I figured it would be big enough. So I finally get the sump plumbed and the DT ready and filled. Plug in the pump, and damn is that thing ever loud. Did it get damaged lying around? I thought these pumps were relatively quiet. Any suggestions?

Leon71
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Anyone in Edmonton have one of these pumps that I could "test run" to compare?

Myka
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Some people say they are quiet, but I have 2 or 3 and I just use them for mixing salt because they are so noisy. Have you cleaned it with vinegar recently? A good cleaning might help, same with a new impeller.

Leon71
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Some people say they are quiet, but I have 2 or 3 and I just use them for mixing salt because they are so noisy. Have you cleaned it with vinegar recently? A good cleaning might help, same with a new impeller.

Failed to mention that this pump was never used until this past weekend.

reefwars
12-06-2011, 04:27 PM
put something under it to dampen the vibration sounds

Delphinus
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
They are not the quietest pumps at the best of times, however if it's really rattley it could be a dirty impeller as suggested. Also check the impeller rod, check how freely the impeller magnet spins over that thing, a tiny bit of friction here due to calcium buildup can go a long way to making the pump noisy overall. Also open up the impeller housing and check around, sometimes the holes that the impeller rod sticks into (one on the cover and one on the pump under the impeller) get enlarged a little bit with wear and tear and this will make the pump pretty rattly as well. If the pump was never used though then it could just be a loud pump..

lastlight
12-06-2011, 05:25 PM
There seems to be a lack of consistency with these pumps. I had a used mag 18 for a while that was deafening. The 12 that I used for my chiller is nearly as quiet as my old red dragon no exaggeration.

Leon71
12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I am thinking that I somehow damaged it. It's a pretty good rattle. Or it was just a bad pump. I'll have to see if I can find a replacement.