PDA

View Full Version : opinions on stocking

Baldy
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello,

I have a 75g with a 20g sump that I'm looking for opinions on as far as stocking. I have currently:

1 Foxface
1 True perc clown
1 Oscellaris clown
1 Blue green chromis
1 Matted filefish (recent addition)

I'm thinking about adding a flame angel in a couple months or so, and possibly a Pakistani butterfly later as well.

What do you guys think, would that be overstocking?

fishytime
12-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Kinda depends how big the foxface is?..... They do get quite large

Jackie
12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, the Foxface would be your problem very soon.
They grow so fast!!!

Baldy
12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
The foxface is around 4-5" ATM. I don't want to stock so I have to remove any when they reach full size. I was debating doing that with a regal tang, but decided against it. The butterfly is very much up in the air, I just saw one at my lfs the other day and absolutely loved it. I would rather have a flame angel thoughI i could do without the butterfly

Myka
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM
What kind of Foxface is it? Some get very large, and in my opinion even the smallest species would be too big for a 75 gallon tank. The One-Spot and the Bicolor are the smallest at about 7". The Lo looks a lot like a One-Spot though, but gets bigger. Do you have a reef or a FOWLR? The Pakistani Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to keep, and not recommended for novice keepers (not sure your experience).

Baldy
12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I have a one spot. I'm comfortable with him in my 75 as everything I've read recommends 70-75g min for them. It is a reef tank as well. I don't have much for corals, some Kenya trees, xenia, branching hammer, fuzzy mushroom, palus, zoas, candy cane, and trying some favites, blasto, and chalice frags . My PC fixture is a limiting factor

Back to he original question though, a flame angel and possibly another fish down the road, will it be too much?

ScubaSteve
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM
If you are keeping the foxface, I'd say one or the other. Butterflies are my favourite fish but they can be a bitch to keep, especially the pakistani's. You need to keep the water pristine and keep stress down otherwise they can be disease magnets, which will kill it and your other fish. The flame angels are probably less reef safe than the pakistani's as they'll go after softies (especially zoas... they LOVE zoas once they get a taste for them).

If you do decide to add both, I'd add the pakistani first. I wouldn't want that fish on the bottom of the pecking order, especially with 4 other fish that could be potential bullies. Flame angels are hardy enough to put up with the crap they'll take as bottom fish on the totem pole.

Nano
12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
aren't fox faces coral nippers?

fishytime
12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
The flame angels are probably less reef safe than the pakistani's as they'll go after softies (especially zoas... they LOVE zoas once they get a taste for them).

thats entirely individual fish dependent..... yours liked zoas......Lauries likes SPS.....the one I had didnt touch a thing.......you pay your money, you take your chances

aren't fox faces coral nippers?

some have been know to eat polyps and other soft corals......some dont.....again, depends entirely on the individual fish

Wayne
12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Back to he original question though, a flame angel and possibly another fish down the road, will it be too much?

You should be fine to add a Flame and perhaps another smaller fish.... As long as you skim well, keep up on your water changes and try not to overfeed.

Myka
12-07-2011, 01:37 AM
I have a one spot. I'm comfortable with him in my 75 as everything I've read recommends 70-75g min for them.

Like what? Vendor sites? I have been considering adding a One-Spot to my 90, but I think it is a tight squeeze for a 90, and have decided against it. I think a 75 is too small for a Pakistani as well, and being "TheNewGuy" I don't think you will be successful with that fish. That is a fish that should only be attempted by experienced reef keepers, and imo the best results are with tanks much, much larger than yours.

Lance
12-07-2011, 01:50 AM
I had a One-Spot in my 90g and it outgrew the tank. It spent most of its time pacing the glass. I moved it to the 225g and it was much happier.

reefwars
12-07-2011, 01:58 AM
i think every rabbitfish ive ever had has been to big for any of my tanks.....i dont trust alot of sites where they give you the minium gallons....more of a guideline not to be taken to heart....their even hard to get rid of when they grow to big, not a huge demand for foxfaces these days:)

intarsiabox
12-07-2011, 02:14 AM
My one spot foxface must be a dwarf. I've had him for close to 2 years now and he's still no more than 4" long. Also one of the most docile fish I've ever had next to my chicken firefish.

Baldy
12-07-2011, 02:42 AM
sorry myka, but i was not asking for advice on my current stock. i did my research before purchasing the foxface, and no, it wasnt just vendor sites min recommendations i looked at. Advice taken on the pakistani, it was a potential, something i saw at my LFS and absolutely loved, but not a necessity for me. thanks for the help guys, ive gotten the answers i needed. so before this turns into a bigger flame war, unsubscribed.