PDA

View Full Version : Iodine Supplement for Bamboo Sharks

Taaron
12-06-2011, 05:46 AM
I have 2 Small Bamboo sharks and they are doing just great eating well and everything. I have read alot about these guys and know almost everything you can read. The only thing I can't seem to find is how to supplement there iodine, do i just add it to the water or do i add it to there food? The reason I ask is because if they don't get enough they can develop a goiter on there neck and if it gets bad itll prevent them from eating and will eventually die. I just want to make sure these guys live healthy lives right from the get go. If anyone knows alot or has alot of experience with sharks let me know, Ive seen supplements on the internet for them, just very expensive is all. But if thats what it takes then i'll get them. Thanks.

Myka
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
How big is your tank?

Taaron
12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
180 gallons right now, and i know that they will need much more room than that.

Myka
12-07-2011, 01:51 AM
180 gallons right now, and i know that they will need much more room than that.

Ya, like 1000 gallons. :eek:

Sorry I can't help you with the iodine thing...never heard of it.

Taaron
12-07-2011, 02:28 AM
I am aware of what they will need.

Funky_Fish14
12-07-2011, 03:21 AM
I found some info that suggests you can buy some supplements that can be added to their food, or inject Lugol's iodine in a certain amount (1/2ml/week) into their food.

Here check this link out: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/results.html?cx=partner-pub-4522959445250520%3Ap7g47g81naq&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Sharks%2C+goiter%2C+iodine&sa=Search&siteurl=www.wetwebmedia.com%2Findex.html (clickhere)
Its got a few articles on iodine info in general, iodine with sharks, shark disease, etc...
Bob Fenner is one of the respondents so its good info.

Hope that helps,

Chris

toytech
12-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Table salt has iodine in it so just pass that shaker on down,J/K but seriously lugols iodine for coral dips coulde be of posible use maybe soak some food in saltwater with a couple of drops.

Taaron
12-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Thanks alot! it did help. I will be buying some supplements to add to there food.

Funky_Fish14
12-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Thanks alot! it did help. I will be buying some supplements to add to there food.

Glad to hear! Keep reading on wet web too! There is a ton of great info on there, and its all of fairly good quality!

Good luck with the shark :) And make sure you give that thing it's own bedroom at full size, hah. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

Myka
12-07-2011, 04:23 AM
I am aware of what they will need.

That's good, not a lot of people are. Or they think, "It will only grow as big as the tank it is in anyway." There's an old, old wives tale! are you really going to get a massive tank to put these brutes in? Would love to see a pic of them! Did you hatch them yourself?

reefwars
12-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Glad to hear! Keep reading on wet web too! There is a ton of great info on there, and its all of fairly good quality!

Good luck with the shark :) And make sure you give that thing it's own bedroom at full size, hah. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

wwm is one of my favorite places to read:) always good advice bob and the crew are pros:)

Taaron
12-07-2011, 04:47 AM
I'll get a picture of the 2 of em for you guys. I will be upgrading in june or july to a 300 gallon setup 84x36x24 I think is the dimensions. And a year or so after that when I get my own house, I will build a 650 gallon or more depending on the space i have to work with. They will be family, and well taken care of. I didn't hatch them myself. You have a much higher success rate with an already hatched individual. They are probably the coolest things in the world though ones about 8" Marbled or white spotted bamboo shark, the other is a 7" Banded bamboo shark. They will be with a couple groupers, hoping for a green moray and that will probably be it. They only change i want to make is getting a 72" flouresent type light instead or the 3x175w MH and 2x96w flourescents that i have right now.

Funky_Fish14
12-07-2011, 04:54 AM
wwm is one of my favorite places to read:) always good advice bob and the crew are pros:)

For sure Denny!

I'll get a picture of the 2 of em for you guys. I will be upgrading in june or july to a 300 gallon setup 84x36x24 I think is the dimensions. And a year or so after that when I get my own house, I will build a 650 gallon or more depending on the space i have to work with. They will be family, and well taken care of. I didn't hatch them myself. You have a much higher success rate with an already hatched individual. They are probably the coolest things in the world though ones about 8" Marbled or white spotted bamboo shark, the other is a 7" Banded bamboo shark. They will be with a couple groupers, hoping for a green moray and that will probably be it. They only change i want to make is getting a 72" flouresent type light instead or the 3x175w MH and 2x96w flourescents that i have right now.

They'll need that 300 faster than you can imagine... :razz:

Shoot for as big as you can with the 650+ upgrade.... I can guarantee you'll get flamed by people constantly even with a tank that size (which does seem big, yes)... but if you've been doing your reading, which im sure you have... you'll know they need something bigger than that long-term. I not here to flame you... but I do hope you go at least 1000+ for those sharks eventually, especially with other large fish in with them.

Good luck,

Chris

Delphinus
12-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Some of the best setups for bamboos that I've seen have really been more indoor ponds than tanks. The nice thing is you don't seem to need a lot of height for them. We don't see anywhere near enough pictures of these please post some when you get a chance!

Taaron
12-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Yeah i agree with you guys on the size maybe i'll have to make a room sized tank. I like the idea of an indoor pond but i wanna be able to really see them. I appreciate your concern for the sharks. I also thank you for not flaming me over this. Thats why most of the time I don't say anything about them, but things that I don't understand is like the tassled wobbegong at a LFS here in Calgary, where are you going to put a 10 foot shark? Or an open water shark like the black tip at another LFS on display. I do understand these guys get big and i will take every measure that i can to give these guys a full and healthy life. A healthy one lives around 25 years so i'm in for the long stretch. All I do with my spare time is look up/ read about how i can improve my care for them. I will get some pictures for you maybe this weekend my camera has dead batteries and there none around the house.

Funky_Fish14
12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Pictures will be sweet! Glad to hear you are considering bigger!

Stores are stupid... simply put... they bring in tons of stuff that is completely unreasonable all the time. Its most unfortunate...

You could do a 'raised' pond, and install viewing panels in the sides. That would be pretty awesome.

Taaron
12-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Pond may be easier to do and probably alot less expensive, i guess some research is in order. I'll have to look around at materials and all that stuff we will see have to see but i know my next purchase will be a 300 gallon for now and by then i should have some sort of a plan.

paddyob
12-07-2011, 12:09 PM
That's good, not a lot of people are. Or they think, "It will only grow as big as the tank it is in anyway." There's an old, old wives tale! are you really going to get a massive tank to put these brutes in? Would love to see a pic of them! Did you hatch them yourself?

Or you get the classic person who says they know what they need and never upgrade to it.

Good luck. It's the filtration that will most likely get them.

Myka
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Pond may be easier to do and probably alot less expensive, i guess some research is in order. I'll have to look around at materials and all that stuff we will see have to see but i know my next purchase will be a 300 gallon for now and by then I should have some sort of a plan.

Check out the forums at www.monsterfishkeepers.com (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com). They have some really great ideas for some really big tanks/ponds as well as filtration. A lot of their big ponds are concrete or plywood with a sealer put over top, and then glass viewing panels. At least with these sharks you don't need much height, so you can use with thinner glass and it won't put you broke!

Or you get the classic person who says they know what they need and never upgrade to it.

Yeah, sadly that seems the norm. Once people start looking into the cost of that big upgrade they never get around to doing it, and then the fish die and "problem solved". I would LOVE to see these sharks get big and have a big pond to swim around in...I'm fascinated by big ponds/tanks of fish.

Funky_Fish14
12-07-2011, 04:09 PM
"Zavlar" by Liquidrubber is something you could try. I have a 1 gallon pail of it. Its a rubberized coating.. the stuff is crazy (and fish safe). I literally made a 6" 'box' out of printing paper and scotch tape... coated the inside with several layers of zavlar till it was sealed, filled it with water and it actually held. Ofcourse the sides deflected so the shape was like a circle, but it completely held water. Anyways... you can find threads about it on MFK (which Myka linked). I know its a ways out, but just something to keep in mind.

*Zavlar can be ordered in through home-hardware... though I had a hard time finding a store that was willing to order.

Braeden
12-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I have 2 Small Bamboo sharks and they are doing just great eating well and everything. I have read alot about these guys and know almost everything you can read. The only thing I can't seem to find is how to supplement there iodine, do i just add it to the water or do i add it to there food? The reason I ask is because if they don't get enough they can develop a goiter on there neck and if it gets bad itll prevent them from eating and will eventually die. I just want to make sure these guys live healthy lives right from the get go. If anyone knows alot or has alot of experience with sharks let me know, Ive seen supplements on the internet for them, just very expensive is all. But if thats what it takes then i'll get them. Thanks.

Well, nice point. I'm just concerned about that supplements. I couldn't
find it. Do you have some stuff regarding it? I'll be thankful.

Taaron
12-09-2011, 06:12 PM
The supplements are called "Mazuri Vita-Zu Shark/Ray Tablets". They use them at alot of public aquariums from what ive read about them.

Funky_Fish14
12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Well, nice point. I'm just concerned about that supplements. I couldn't
find it. Do you have some stuff regarding it? I'll be thankful.

Read the links I added on page 1. There are several suggestions in there.