PDA

View Full Version : Metal Stand capacity?

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Hoping I can get some help. I had a stand built for my new tank made out of 1" metal tubing but I'm wondering if it can handle the weight of my aquarium? The aquarium measures 96" x 16" x 16" and is roughly 95g.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/noirsphynx/DSC_0008.jpg

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Well NOW I am really insulted :surprise: you had a stand built and not by me :question:

Just my 2 cent here but I would not have made it out of 1" without adding at least vertical support every 2'. All my stands are 1.5" tube & anything over 6' I use a heavier walled tube for the front & back top rails.

Are you planning on skinning the stand at all? If you are make sure to screw at least 1/2" plywood securely to the back to give it a little more straingth.

Oh also you are closer to 106 gals by my calculator.

fishytime
12-06-2011, 03:25 AM
All my stands are 1.5" tube & anything over 6" I use a heavier walled tube for the front & back top rails.

oh great......Laurie said you put the stand top up.......then I tumbled it around to get the strech wrap off it without cutting it.....I said it doent matter......its built the same all around.....I could even flip it on its front cuz its 30 x 30 and it wouldnt matter.......*buzzer sound*....wrong!......I dont know if its top up anymore:neutral:......any way to tell, there Grizzmonger?

sorry for the "jack" Dawn.....sweet looking tank BTW

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 03:31 AM
oh great......Laurie said you put the stand top up.......then I tumbled it around to get the strech wrap off it without cutting it.....I said it doent matter......its built the same all around.....I could even flip it on its front cuz its 30 x 30 and it wouldnt matter.......*buzzer sound*....wrong!......I dont know if its top up anymore:neutral:......any way to tell, there Grizzmonger?

sorry for the "jack" Dawn.....sweet looking tank BTW

'Top F' is stamped into the top side of the stand :biggrin:

fishytime
12-06-2011, 03:36 AM
'Top F' is stamped into the top side of the stand :biggrin:

whew!..... thanks bud

Nano
12-06-2011, 03:43 AM
thats more then 95 gallons me thinks. standard 90s are around 48x18x18 i think..

reefwars
12-06-2011, 03:47 AM
thats more then 95 gallons me thinks. standard 90s are around 48x18x18 i think..

ummm not quite dawns is actually about 106g minus overflow and not being filled to the exact top so prob around 95g give or take a gallon;)

standard 90 to my knolege is 48x18x24(at least mine is anyways;ppp)

reefwars
12-06-2011, 03:48 AM
i drink alot(tonight especially) and have been wrong once before though soooooo cheers;)

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 03:49 AM

ummm not quite dawns is actually about 106g minus overflow and not being filled to the exact top so prob around 95g give or take a gallon;)

Kind of what I said in my first post ^^

reefwars
12-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Kind of what I said in my first post ^^

hahaha jebus(edit that so i dont get banned!! hehe) i never even noticed lol good math mate;)

so would the 1" not be strong enough with only 950ish lbs spread over 8ft?? would putting 45degree braces help any in the corners??:):)

Nano
12-06-2011, 03:52 AM

weird I bought my 90 gallon labelled and everything lol 48x18x18! I hope someone didnt screw up and short me 25 gallons!

reefwars
12-06-2011, 03:53 AM
weird I bought my 90 gallon labelled and everything lol 48x18x18! I hope someone didnt screw up and short me 25 gallons!

just shy of 70g ;)

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 03:55 AM

That's only 67 gal compactly at 48 x 18 x 18

Nano
12-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Well that's a **** off guess I'll be Returning it Haha

reefwars
12-06-2011, 03:57 AM
That's only 67 gal compactly at 48 x 18 x 18

kinda what i posted^^^^^ razz!!!! hehehe ;) gregg im gonna want a stand made up here soon one day, more than likely in the spring when i ditch the 90 and the rusty stand its on, hope your up for the task:):)

Myka
12-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Hoping I can get some help. I had a stand built for my new tank made out of 1" metal tubing but I'm wondering if it can handle the weight of my aquarium? The aquarium measures 96" x 16" x 16" and is roughly 95g.

I sure don't like that unsupported 4' span. I've only ever heard of one stand collapsing though, but I would not like for yours to be number two! I think the biggest risk is that you will crack the bottom pane of glass probably right where that center support is. I've seen more than one 8-10' tank cracked in that spot. LOVE your tank dimensions!

mr_alberta
12-06-2011, 04:00 AM
I think you mean every 2'-0" and every 6'-0" right? Otherwise that's a lot of legs! :razz:

How thick is the 1" tubing?

Well NOW I am really insulted :surprise: you had a stand built and not by me :question:

Just my 2 cent here but I would not have made it out of 1" without adding at least vertical support every 2". All my stands are 1.5" tube & anything over 6" I use a heavier walled tube for the front & back top rails.

Are you planning on skinning the stand at all? If you are make sure to screw at least 1/2" plywood securely to the back to give it a little more straingth.

reefwars
12-06-2011, 04:02 AM
I think you mean every 2'-0" and every 6'-0" right? Otherwise that's a lot of legs! :razz:

haha true think greg likes to overkill a bit hehehe

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:17 AM

Just my 2 cent here but I would not have made it out of 1" without adding at least vertical support every 2'. All my stands are 1.5" tube & anything over 6' I use a heavier walled tube for the front & back top rails.

Well, I had it built for free :mrgreen:

Not planning on skinning it just probably going to throw a skirt around it.

So I assume this thing probably isn't going to withstand the weight?

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 04:18 AM
kinda what i posted^^^^^ razz!!!! hehehe ;) gregg im gonna want a stand made up here soon one day, more than likely in the spring when i ditch the 90 and the rusty stand its on, hope your up for the task:):)

I was a little more persise :razz: & yes always up for a task :biggrin:

I sure don't like that unsupported 4' span. I've only ever heard of one stand collapsing though, but I would not like for yours to be number two! I think the biggest risk is that you will crack the bottom pane of glass probably right where that center support is. I've seen more than one 8-10' tank cracked in that spot. LOVE your tank dimensions!

My point exactly :biggrin:

DAMN iPad, yes your correct. Edited my first post thanks :biggrin:

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Well that is a good point Dawn, free is always good.

If you wiggle the tank at one end in both directions how much does it move?

Myka
12-06-2011, 04:24 AM

Oh come on...it weighs a ton, bet it doesn't move easily! :p

Dawn, just add some more vertical pieces. :) I would say two more along the front and two more along the back.

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:25 AM

And the glass is also 1/2" thick.

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:27 AM

That's my fear!:cry:

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:28 AM

Not too sure.

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Oh come on...it weighs a ton, bet it doesn't move easily! :p

You would be surprised how metal moves if it is not solid enough, I should know I work with it every day. 1" tube can bend fairly easy.

Myka
12-06-2011, 04:30 AM
I was joking Grizz. :neutral:

And the glass is also 1/4" thick.

Isn't the glass 1/2" or 3/8" at least? Is it really 1/4"? Do you know how thick the bottom pane is? Is the bottom pane tempered?

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 04:30 AM
I know this is going to be a tough question to answer but are the corners of the tube almost square or do they have a bit of a rounded corner?

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Well that is a good point Dawn, free is always good.

Not even a little bit.

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:32 AM
I know this is going to be a tough question to answer but are the corners of the tube almost square or do they have a bit of a rounded corner?

A bit rounded.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/noirsphynx/DSC_0032-2.jpg

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:38 AM
I was joking Grizz. :neutral:

Isn't the glass 1/2" or 3/8" at least? Is it really 1/4"? Do you know how thick the bottom pane is? Is the bottom pane tempered?

Oops, yup it's 1/2"

The Grizz
12-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Ok well it's possible that the tube is 1/8" thick but for piec of mind I would see if you could get 4 more vertical tubes put in so that there is one every 2 FEET. :biggrin:

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Ok well it's possible that the tube is 1/8" thick but for piec of mind I would see if you could get 4 more vertical tubes put in so that there is one every 2 FEET. :biggrin:

Yeah, I would feel more comfortable with that. Really kicking myself for not getting some input before I had this thing built :sad: Now I'll have to see if I can find a welder near by to fix this thing up for me. Thanks for your help Grizz!!!

reefwars
12-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I would feel more comfortable with that. Really kicking myself for not getting some input before I had this thing built :sad: Now I'll have to see if I can find a welder near by to fix this thing up for me.

humm dawn a welder who frequents edmonton alot and likes frags....gee could be tuff hehe:)

noirsphynx
12-06-2011, 04:55 AM
humm dawn a welder who frequents edmonton alot and likes frags....gee could be tuff hehe:)

Lol Denny, not much of anything available in my tank right now to share and I'm 20 mins. north of Edmonton so it's a bit out of the way. I may be able to get some help closer to me, we'll see(I hope).

My main problem now is muscles to move this tank off the stand because neither myself or my hubby can lift it due to back issues =/ I dragged Shaun & Chris out here to get it in my house.

Hustler
12-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Just get more cut with a plate on each end and screw em in :) then you dont have to move anything...If your skirting it anyways
the weight will go down when its full unless you plan on rocking it I dont see a problem.
My stand is 8 feet and only has a center brace... its 1 1/2" 1/4 wall but still its got 300 gallons on it :)
And heres my 180 dual rack i made with No Center braces in the top part of the stand...and its a 2 piece so its not even welded together LOL
Rock solid and 1 1/4" I have alot of faith in thicker softer styrafoam to take up that bit of flex in the stand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/dragonfish1ca/012-5.jpg

All that being said however... I didnt build it so theres no warrenty here LOL

sphelps
12-06-2011, 05:21 AM
1" tube with 1/8" wall would put you at about 100MPa so depending on material and your ability to live life on the edge you're technically OK as even plain carbon steel is around 220-250Mpa. So either make sure it's secured to a wall or something to prevent it from being bumped over or take the advice of others and add some reinforcement. Personally I would get myself some 3/4" ply and screw it to the frame all around and cut some access panels in it for doors, that would make it plenty rigid, plus who likes unfinished open stands?