PDA

View Full Version : sump life questions

mytank90
12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
this is my first sump that has a place to grow algee and i have a few questions .can calapara /mangrows grow if you are useing np pellets? if not what would you use .live plants or pellets? .am useing a 27000k buld over sump would that be ok?

Lampshade
12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Use a regular light bulb spectrum for your sump light, 6500K is considered daylight color by most company's, anything around that will work great. I use pellets and have very good growth from my algae's, I used to run my output of my reactor through my refugium since it needs to be oxygenated, now it's more convienient to use my skimmer. WOrks great, you'll have no problems. My only suggestion would be to use cheato instead of Caulerpa since Caulerpa can go sexual and makes your tank a mess when it decides it needs more room.

Myka
12-06-2011, 12:09 AM
My only suggestion would be to use cheato instead of Caulerpa since Caulerpa can go sexual and makes your tank a mess when it decides it needs more room.

Good advice! My thoughts exactly. A bulb 4000-6500K is fine, 2700K (I assume you made a typo) is a bit too yellow, and won't grow Chaeto as well as a slightly higher Kelvin.

hillegom
12-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Home depot has daylight compact fluorescent, 6500K.
Those curly ones, cheap and work well