PDA

View Full Version : whos upgraded tanks before looking for advice

isaac1
12-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Hey guys I'm putting my 1.5 year old 35gallon reef and 6 year old 60 gallon reef into my brand new 80 gallon I've filled the 80 up with water and sand I'm just running a power head in it to circulate I have lights for it but I won't be setting them up untill the weekend when I can install a gfi outlet my biggest question my 60 I picked up off a buddy because he had his tank crash twice from not being able to keep up with the maintence and so theres not much on the rocks except for green hair and aptsia every where so I was wondering if I should slowly add the rock or just add it all at once like witch way will mature the new system quicker I'm not planing on adding any of my 35 untill I'm positive the water is perstine

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Don't put any of your buddy's rock into the tank. I made the terrible mistake of doing someone I barely knew a favour several years ago and stored some LR for him. He didn't tell me it was covered with aiptasia and hair algae and I didn't put the rock away until he left. At the time, all my tanks were sumpless so the crap rock went into my display and just ruined my good rock.

BlueTang<3
12-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Why add rock covered in aiptasia and algae into a new system? It seem odd to start of fresh tank with a battle.

isaac1
12-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

BlueTang<3
12-05-2011, 02:21 AM
ok

Myka
12-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Agreed. I would suggest you fix up that rock before you put it in the new tank. Do you have a few pieces of rock you could steal from the 35 for in the new 80? You can also remove say 15 gallons from the 80, store it in a container while you remove 15 gallons from the 35. Then use the "new" clean water from the 80 for in the 35, and the old aged water from the 35 into the 80.

fishytime
12-05-2011, 02:37 AM
You can also remove say 15 gallons from the 80, store it in a container while you remove 15 gallons from the 35. Then use the "new" clean water from the 80 for in the 35, and the old aged water from the 35 into the 80.

why would you do that?....if he's not transferring any live stock atm, what benefit would that have?

isaac1
12-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Well ya I see what ur saying. one have the battle is in the 60 because he let it get out of control for lack of maintnence I was thinking bout fresh water dipping the rock but its a loseing situation the rocks are coverd in great nutreints I was think bout adding a couple peaices at a time and using aptasia x untill the waters good enough for my peppermint shrimp.