PDA

View Full Version : Better or Worse

zulu_principle
02-17-2004, 02:35 AM
Just put back together my 60 gallon at home, have added a medium height sugar fine sand bed and filled with di water. Heater on and have not yet added the salt.

Do you think its better to wait until the sand settles or just turn the baby on ??

Thanks for the input.

Wendell

StirCrazy
02-17-2004, 02:39 AM
I personaly would mix in your salt and turn the puppy on. if you wait for it to settle you will be waiting a long time. also add a couple large chunks of LR as it seams to make the sand settle out faster.

Steve

martym
02-17-2004, 02:43 AM
I would just add the salt as well, for no other reason then I'm impaitent :smile: When do we get to have the Vancouver meeting at your house? I think Jack and Shao would agree :biggrin:

Aquattro
02-17-2004, 03:58 AM
Yup, I'd add the salt and fire it up!!

sumpfinfishe
02-17-2004, 04:20 AM
Wendell, when you added the ro/di water, how come you didn't mix the salt to the water before you added it to the tank? I would be concerned about salt setteling into the sand, thus causing a slow increase in salinity.
Maybe take out 5 or 10gl and mix your salt in the pails first just to be sure all the salt dissolves.
Do you have any live rock in there also?
I think after it runs for 24hr or so, things should look alot clearer.

zulu_principle
02-17-2004, 04:28 AM
Well I have tried it the fire up way every time I have setup an aquarium.

Think I will try it the wait for a day then turn it on.

That being said, the sump has a little leak so I have to wait..........

Wendell

PS the sand bed thing is interesting, ill add the salt into the sump.

Son Of Skyline
02-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Whenever I wait for things to settle first, the stuff just gets stirred up again as soon as I plug in the pumps so I'd say fire it up...as soon as you fix your leak :smile:

Bryan
02-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Wendell.

Add some salt to the water to raise the PH, otherwise the water will stay milky due to the fact the sand is dissolving.