I know it's a seastar, but what kind?

Mandosh
12-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Asterina

paddyob
12-04-2011, 08:46 PM
+1.

Remove them.

They reach plague levels, like in my tank and they are killing my zoas. Others have the same issue as me.

Royal flush.

telkwa girl
12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Okay, thanks! Will grab him the next time I see him.

Myka
12-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, it is an Asterina sp starfish. Most species of Asterina don't reach plague level unless the tank has a nutrient problem (and thus algal growth), but this particular Asterina specie that you have with the darker coloration, any that have numerous or disproportionate legs, and those that are larger than usual seem to often be problematic. I personally question if this particular specie is reef-safe or not...I question if they might be partial to coral appetizers on occasion. This particular specie of Asterina I would remove from the tank. The tiny, plain white ones seem to be quite reef-safe.

http://www.garf.org/Star/starfish.html

telkwa girl
12-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Caught it and moving it into my quarantine tank where it can't do any damage. I think this one had an appetite for cloves as something in my tank was slowly eatting them. Thanks for the help.

fishytime
12-05-2011, 12:55 AM
theres a good idea......keep it in the QT until your cloves reach plague proportions then you can put it back in the DT:mrgreen: