PDA

View Full Version : What the... ID?

dc4
12-03-2011, 03:53 AM
What's the whitish/clear thingy on the side of my brain? At first I saw our on the opposite side and now it had moved here...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Myka
12-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Need a pic...?

dc4
12-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Need a pic...?

Pic up.

It almost looks like a clear lettuce nudie the way it ruffles...

Myka
12-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Ya maybe...I can't figure out what it is in the pic. Looks like air bubbles from my point of view. :lol:

Madreefer
12-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Looks like the stuff that Grizz put in Mykas tank a couple of weeks ago.

dc4
12-03-2011, 04:09 AM
Here's a better pic.

Myka
12-03-2011, 04:09 AM
Saaaaaaaaaaaaay what?!?!?! :eek:

Myka
12-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Here's a better pic.

Ohhhh I can tell now! That is what brain corals do when they are being aggressive. That is brain coral guts. He is trying to digest his neighbour. :D

ScubaSteve
12-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Looks like misenterial filaments to me. Brain is going to war.

Lampshade
12-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Brain vs GSP, I saw round 1 of this fight in my tank, sadly, the brain had to be pulled out of the fight early and relocated. GSP wins, just like the UFC GSP, lol. I'd suggest doing a trim if you can.

dc4
12-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Brain vs GSP, I saw round 1 of this fight in my tank, sadly, the brain had to be pulled out of the fight early and relocated. GSP wins, just like the UFC GSP, lol. I'd suggest doing a trim if you can.

Ahhhh crap, those are actually pipe organs, I was wondering why they were not opening, damnit!

I dont know what to do now...

fishytime
12-03-2011, 05:12 AM
What's the whitish/clear thingy on the side of my brain?

*little kid* "maybe its a tumor?".....*Arnold* "it's not a tuma!.....it's not..at all":mrgreen:

whatcaneyedo
12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Ahhhh crap, those are actually pipe organs, I was wondering why they were not opening, damnit!

I dont know what to do now...

Separate the two so that they are no longer touching.

paddyob
12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Ohhhh I can tell now! That is what brain corals do when they are being aggressive. That is brain coral guts. He is trying to digest his neighbour. :D

CRAZY! I NEED TO WATCH FOR THIS!

I just relocated my brain coral next to one of my Acans. I never knew they were aggressive like that.

Does it do this at night? Daytime? ANYTIME?

Myka
12-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Brains can be aggressive at any time of the day. I have a brain that starts doing this when I need to change the carbon. It's not close to anything, I think it is just a reaction to chemical warfare in the water column. I have lots of GSP (which is a photosynthetic gorgonian btw) on the back wall of the back, plus several other photosynthetic gorgonians which have the potential to all be quite aggressive. So it may be the gorgs that are bothering the brains.

paddyob
12-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Brains can be aggressive at any time of the day. I have a brain that starts doing this when I need to change the carbon. It's not close to anything, I think it is just a reaction to chemical warfare in the water column. I have lots of GSP (which is a photosynthetic gorgonian btw) on the back wall of the back, plus several other photosynthetic gorgonians which have the potential to all be quite aggressive. So it may be the gorgs that are bothering the brains.

Gorg??? Green Star??

I tried finding this but I always find it as softy. Someone mentioned this about a year ago... and I was unable to source it then too.

Where do you find most of your coral facts Mindy?

Myka
12-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Gorg??? Green Star?? I tried finding this but I always find it as softy. Someone mentioned this about a year ago... and I was unable to source it then too. Where do you find most of your coral facts Mindy?

GSP is Briareum species, so try Googling that instead. :) Time has been the biggest contributing factor to my knowledge of coral facts. Things like scientific names of coral is often from books and just memorizing names or reading online articles by well-known authors. It's not like I sit down and think "ok, self test...what is the scientific name of GSP?" It's just that I have seen the scientific name so many times over the years that I remember what it is. Things like the brain allelopathy descibed in this thread is just from experience. I enjoy the nerdy side of this hobby too which helps learn "facts".

phyto4life
12-03-2011, 11:44 PM

lol