PDA

View Full Version : How to frag a frogspawn?

Coralgurl
12-03-2011, 01:01 AM
I have a huge frogspawn taking up prime space in my tank. My new clowns are hosting it so I would like to keep a bit and sell the others. The frog isn't a branching type, it's shell is in the shape of an "H". So how do I frag it, what tools do I need etc? Or am I better to find someone who knows how do it for me? Thanks

fishytime
12-03-2011, 01:11 AM
its not easy but..... take a rubber band and put it around the wall frogspawn/ hammer in the area in which you plan to frag it....... Leave the rubber band in place for a couple of weeks....... The polyps will recede on that part of the frogspawn/hammer........ After all the polyps start extending to their former 'glory' you can take the frogspawn/ hammer out of the tank, remove the rubber band and run the wall through a band saw (like the Inland Band Saw) or a Dremel.

BlueTang<3
12-03-2011, 01:13 AM
its not easy but..... take a rubber band and put it around the wall frogspawn/ hammer in the area in which you plan to frag it....... Leave the rubber band in place for a couple of weeks....... The polyps will recede on that part of the frogspawn/hammer........ After all the polyps start extending to their former 'glory' you can take the frogspawn/ hammer out of the tank, remove the rubber band and run the wall through a band saw (like the Inland Band Saw) or a Dremel.

Really thats hardcore? I usually just take it out and throw it at the floor and have multiple frags

fishytime
12-03-2011, 01:17 AM
oh. and I forgot to mention to have a good coral dip on hand to help prevent infection

Coralgurl
12-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Drop on the floor....haha. I couldn't do that...lol

Cal_stir
12-03-2011, 01:57 AM
i use side cutters

Madreefer
12-03-2011, 03:05 AM
I just break it off with my hands. I've done it for alot for fellow reefers. The thicker peices I use sidecutters. By the description are you sure it's not a hammer coral?

Coralgurl
12-03-2011, 04:09 AM
It's a frog, I haven't seen another like it in any lfs, it has multiple nubs on each tentacle.

I'm trying to add a pic but on iPad and it sucks. There's a photo of the frog in my thread New Stuff.

[URL="http://http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_2054.jpg"]

Lampshade
12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
here you go, looks nice
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_2054.jpg

fishytime
12-03-2011, 05:03 AM
yes people this is a WALL frogie......not a branching frogie......a little different beast to frag then just side cutters.....doing "tearing" or "crushing" damage to the tissue can open the it up to infection(hence the coral dip after fragging) and a large percentage of improperly fragged LPS melt away....this is not an everyday coral and I dont think she wants to go at it with a slam to the floor or side cutters:wink:........or " a pair of pliers and a blowtorch":mrgreen:

Coralgurl
12-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks Lampshade!

Fishytime, I knew it was different, thanks for the ID! Cool to know it's not common.

I paid ALOT for this frog....so hard to think about fragging, but it's too big. Kevin at red coral offered to help but hard to get it there during the week, was hoping to do it myself, but don't want to do damage.

BlueTang<3
12-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Thats a cool coral i was totally thinking of the branching one, good thing we have Dougie around here to stop the insanity. If its rare i wold let it grow as previously stated it cut wrong it could die. Keep an eye out around your tank you would be surprised how often frogspawns bud out. I have 2 large colonies in a tank with almost nothing else I find chunks every few weeks.

mark
12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
interesting, any pictures with the polyps retracted?

Coralgurl
12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Here's a photo with it retracted, its from August when it first went in the tank. I need an updated one to see if the shell has grown, but this shows what I'm talking about a bit better.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_1591.jpg

I've done some reading now that I know what this guy is and I'm not going to frag him. I'm going to have to move some things around in the tank and will place him in the sand. Bf says need a bigger tank.....sweet!