PDA

View Full Version : Coral Banded Shrimp

reefme
12-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Will banded coral shrimp compatible with fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp?
Right now I have 2 fire shrimps and 3 cleaner shrimps in a 110G. I want to add 2 of these guys.

BlueTang<3
12-03-2011, 01:14 AM
I have never kept these shrimp but from what i have heard from others that have is thy are quite nasty creatures.

reefme
12-03-2011, 01:21 AM
I have never kept these shrimp but from what i have heard from others that have is thy are quite nasty creatures.

Nasty in which way?

BlueTang<3
12-03-2011, 01:27 AM
http://www.3reef.com/forums/inverts/coral-banded-shrimps-aggressive-61793.html

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2050731

reefme
12-03-2011, 01:28 AM
http://www.3reef.com/forums/inverts/coral-banded-shrimps-aggressive-61793.html

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2050731

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

reefme
12-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Sorry, miss the first link.

BlueTang<3
12-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Strange worked for me if you google coral banded shrimp aggressive you will get a few hits. I sure others have kept them and not had an issue. It seems there very territorial.

reefwars
12-03-2011, 01:31 AM
both links worked fine for me and were on topic:x-mas:

reefme
12-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Strange worked for me if you google coral banded shrimp aggressive you will get a few hits. I sure others have kept them and not had an issue. It seems there very territorial.

Read it and thank you.

cale262
12-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I’ve had mine for more than a year and a half. At the time I was brand new to the whole salt world and this was the first sw shrimp I had purchased. I’ve watched him cleaning larger fish and caught him eating smaller fish which I don’t believe he actually preyed upon but was rather just performing his natural CUC duty and opportunistically feeding on the diseased & deceased… The only thing I’ve witnessed him preying on was larger bristle worms which is very entertaining to watch IMHO. It has spent the last year in a rock storage tank with 4 damsels and more recently a yellow tang, they are all very healthy to this day.

Son Of Skyline
12-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I had a coral banded shrimp once at it was the meanest thing I've ever had in a reef tank. It would attack me whenever I reached in the tank (scary!) and was aggressive with other tankmates as well. I had to tear my tank apart trying to catch it but it was worth it.

tinman
12-03-2011, 08:18 PM
i have 2 coral banded shrimp in my 150 one is larger than the other, they tend to stake out territory, the cleaner shrimp is the biggest and he is everywhere doing his job. i don't really see the coral banded shrimp all that much, but they have been together for a long time. and a couple of tank changes.

68shelby
12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Have had mine for a couple years have never caught him doing anything bad, hes kinda shy. Comes out when I feed mysis otherwise hangs around near the back of the tank

reefme
12-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Have had mine for a couple years have never caught him doing anything bad, hes kinda shy. Comes out when I feed mysis otherwise hangs around near the back of the tank

Do you have cleaner and fire shrimps too or just coral banded shrimp?

MMAX
12-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I bought a gold coral banded shrimp a few months ago for the simple reason of I always wanted one. Might have been my worst purchase ever although he only cost $15 and doesn't do any damage to anything in the tank. He's 100% nocturnal. The only time I ever see him is when I turn my room lights on in the morning. Then he runs for cover and doesn't come out untill dark.

ALang
12-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I have had them over the years. Though I have never witnessed them doing anything nasty, personally, but:

They are territorial. To keep two in one tank, even 110G, maybe too many. They will search each other out one day and try to chase/destroy each other.
As for the shrimps, they may attack them for the same reasons.

If you would like to try them anyway, I'd only have one. They don't come out. Most time only thing you see in your tank that indicates that they are still alive are their white whiskers. They don't ever come out for me. Consequently, when they passed away, I didn't even realized until one day, no whiskers...

Good luck.