PDA

View Full Version : hah, now i feel like a dick..

Corbin
12-02-2011, 12:15 AM
So i brought a feather duster over a month ago, it shed its feathers in the first day or two, for whatever reason... left the tube just chillin since then asuming it was/would be dead from everything i read about them losing there feathers.
so today, i just got so curious to know since its never opened up, or anything has happened with it. i pulled it out, looked at the tube, i could see through it with a strong light behind it, and i couldnt see or feel anything inside, next thing i know a worm crawls out the end... still has no feathers, but its been alive for well over a month just chillin, the Bald feather duster worm.. i wonder how its been feeding, the end of the tube has always been closed.
now hes sitting in a container with his tube, maybe he will crawl back in, lol sorry worm.

toytech
12-02-2011, 12:19 AM
I think they can make a new tube , i know that if there not happy they will move (without there tube). So there your not a dick.

Corbin
12-02-2011, 12:26 AM
yeah, i know they can too, i put it in a little hang on breeder thing, if it doesnt crawl back in ill throw it in my fuge - i think my eel or wrasse will think its dinner in my DT

mark
12-02-2011, 01:23 AM
it was the feather duster worm (not that I would have a clue of what one looks like), not some other type that just moved into a empty home?

Corbin
12-02-2011, 02:23 AM
it was a duster worm for sure. its in my refuge now.

Funky_Fish14
12-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Duster worms are kind of nasty looking if I remember correctly. I remember peering in on one I used to have that lost it's crown.

pscott99
12-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Mine did the same thing, the feathers disappeared for over a week. I put it in the sump and it came back out. Always keep it submerged when you move it's casing. Air will kill it. They are sensitive to being bothered by critters or too much flow. Sometimes it just hides for a couple days and I can't really see why. After I saw that is was happy in the sump I put it back in the display and it's been fine since.

Myka
12-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Feather dusters are non-photosynthetic so their food requirements are very difficult to meet. Feather dusters don't usually survive in typical reefs.

loveless
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Ive had mine for years. Three worms grew out of the live rock I bought and they have been doing well ever since. Maybe just luck or just a good kind that does well in captivity. Who knows.

Aquaria
12-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I think he's talking about a coco worm type feather duster not the run ofthe mill reef dusters as I call em

Corbin
12-04-2011, 01:19 AM
no - normal feather duster the big one, coco dusters arent technically 'feather duster worms' :P there coco dusters ;)

Funky_Fish14
12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Feather dusters are non-photosynthetic so their food requirements are very difficult to meet. Feather dusters don't usually survive in typical reefs.

Really? I see lots of them in reef tanks that have been around for awhile.

pscott99
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM

I know they are filter feeders but if you feed your tank well.....mine is almost a year old and I do nothing special to it ? Do they have specific special needs ?