PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon Clown eggs in my FOWLR, not asking what to do anymore

The Grizz
12-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Tonight as I was feeding my FOWLR & was looking about the tank I noticed this on the back, lower right side of the tank........

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/e7a3f0a3.jpg

The picture really sucks but you get the gist.

My question now is what do I do now? I have never had eggs before so need some help.

RedCoralEdmonton
12-01-2011, 03:45 AM
Step 2 - get some bacon..... Lol

Steve

marie
12-01-2011, 03:55 AM

Steve

:rofl:

When I read the title of the thread that was the first thing that popped into my head but you beat me to it.....

Delphinus
12-01-2011, 04:06 AM
My question now is what do I do now? I have never had eggs before so need some help.

Do nothing but enjoy your fish. Yes you could theoretically one day try to raise fry but to mobilize a fry rearing setup now would be a futile race against the clock.

Usually once clowns settle in and start spawning it is a regular event. My ocellaris are almost never without eggs.

If you really did want to consider raising the fry, there is a good book called "Clownfish" by Joyce Wilkerson which details the various species, their biology and how to raise clownfish fry including getting rotifers and greenwater cultures going and so on.

They'll hatch and be good fish food. Yeah, it sucks, but so does life in the ocean if you think of it. For a fish species population to be stable, on average one mated pair need only produce two fish to replace them in their lifespan. Now consider that they'll lay hundreds and hundreds of eggs every two weeks, the number of fry they produce versus the number that need to survive has a huge disconnect. :neutral: Mother Nature is a harsh mistress!

The Grizz
12-01-2011, 04:24 AM

Steve

:rofl:

When I read the title of the thread that was the first thing that popped into my head but you beat me to it.....

A couple of smart arse's ^^

Do nothing but enjoy your fish. Yes you could theoretically one day try to raise fry but to mobilize a fry rearing setup now would be a futile race against the clock.

Usually once clowns settle in and start spawning it is a regular event. My ocellaris are almost never without eggs.

If you really did want to consider raising the fry, there is a good book called "Clownfish" by Joyce Wilkerson which details the various species, their biology and how to raise clownfish fry including getting rotifers and greenwater cultures going and so on.

They'll hatch and be good fish food. Yeah, it sucks, but so does life in the ocean if you think of it. For a fish species population to be stable, on average one mated pair need only produce two fish to replace them in their lifespan. Now consider that they'll lay hundreds and hundreds of eggs every two weeks, the number of fry they produce versus the number that need to survive has a huge disconnect. :neutral: Mother Nature is a harsh mistress!

That's kind of what I figured too, oh well. It is cool to actually see in one of my tanks though.

Leah
12-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Crackers

Seamazter
12-01-2011, 05:14 AM
Grow rotifers, its the only size of food they will eat.
Has to be rotifers and they must be alive.
get some cloramx too, to remove exess amonia.
Wait till hatch day and siphon out the babys to a small tank with heat and air.

fishytime
12-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Grow rotifers, its the only size of food they will eat.
Has to be rotifers and they must be alive.
get some cloramx too, to remove exess amonia.
Wait till hatch day and siphon out the babys to a small tank with heat and air.

no, no, no....he's got the cinnamon clown eggs already......a little milk and some texas cut bread and viola....french clown toast:mrgreen:

reefwars
12-01-2011, 07:58 AM
survey says!!!!!.........protein shake!!;)

The Grizz
12-01-2011, 02:55 PM
The REAL survey says YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF ARSE'S :razz: god I love this place :lol:

Leah
12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
The REAL survey says YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF ARSE'S :razz: god I love this place :lol:

Oh so true. We aim to entertain. :wink:

Reef Pilot
12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I have a cinnamon clown that keeps spawning at the base of some colt coral. Used to think she was a male, with her bulldog attitude to my other fish (has killed a couple already), and to me when I clean the tank (have had a couple good bites on my hand from her). What's weird though, she is solo, no male, but guess she just can't hold it.... Eggs only last a few hours, and then she abandons the site, and resumes her bulldog ways.

Myka
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
If you're not worried about doing it for profit, and more about just trying to see if you can do it then you can raise them without live rotifers or live phyto. You can use Otohime A as a first food, then NHBBS after that. The trouble with using dead foods is that you will fight water quality and not many will make it through, but it can be done. All you need is a small tank (5 or 10 gallon), a small air pump and stone (and ball valve to control flow), some AmQuel, a SeaChem Ammonia Alert, and some Otohime A, B1, B2, and C1. :) You don't need greenwater unless you're using rotifers.

Otohime comes from Reed Mariculture so any LFS that carries Reef Nutrition can order it for you. It isn't cheap though, and you can't just buy one small package.

Rotifers are easy to raise though. You can buy them from Reed's too. Rotifers are easily raised on dead phyto from Reeds as well (RotiGrow to raise them, and RotiGreen for greenwater).

reefwars
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
have we ruled out egg painting????

reefwars
12-01-2011, 03:28 PM
possibly caviar business??? maybe set up a little kiosk at the mall lol you can can em " gregs eggs "

reefwars
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
greg i was just reading that incubating the eggs yourself isnt out of the question just set up a small straw nest grab a cold beer and a good book and have an ol fasion sit down take it easy raise a few fry ya know easy stuff right;) kinda like on looney tunes;ppppp

The Grizz
12-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Sounds like it would be more time consuming & that's is something I don't have a lot of, free time. So I will let nature take its coarse.

Denny, I think you need to get out more, you silly arse :lol:

Myka
12-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Sounds like it would be more time consuming

Oh yes.

asylumdown
12-02-2011, 10:15 PM
hey were those my old clowns? those two were horny little suckers.

The Grizz
12-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Yes I believe they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk