PDA

View Full Version : ~SOLD~ Fire (Lava)Urchin For Sale

RuGlu6
12-01-2011, 03:27 AM
~SOLD~ Small Fire, Lava urchin fs. aprox 1.5 inch in diameter body, about 2.5 with the needles.
Extremely cool looking neon bright blue dots on dark red.
They were retailing at J&L for $45 after tax.

Take him for $39

reason for selling is that it knocks staff over and it eat my clove polyps (though this may be a benefit for some people). Did not touch any SPS or star polyps.

below is a pic from the web, mine looks way better and brighter.
http://www.daveharasti.com/Sulawesi/Lembeh/slides/05-Fire%20Urchin.html

fishytime
12-01-2011, 04:24 AM
please have the buyer beware of the nature of these urchins:wink:

RuGlu6
12-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Please post some info of what you think is important.
Because other then being stingy and what i already posted i don't know much about them.
Beautiful critter looks hot

fishytime
12-01-2011, 04:54 AM
I agree......very beautiful critter.....stingy would be a slight understatement......they are among the most poisonous of the urchins....their sting can cause paralysis and even death...... and then the bite is even worse.....probably should be mentioned in the "marine aquarium cautions" thread

syncro
12-01-2011, 04:56 AM
I think some species are venomous.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rs/
I have not been able to document any fatalities concerning the fire urchins, but contact with the spines can cause severe and debilitating pain that lasts hours to days.

dc4
12-02-2011, 12:38 AM
My wife has wanted on ever since she saw one in the display tank at Ocean Aquatics. When I saw them come in at JL's site, we went down to take a look and was about to bag one but then the warning from the sales guy about the sting spooked my wife enough that she said no, even though she never touches the tank, lol. Beautiful creatures though, I am still thinking about adding one and just being careful. GLWS!

apexifd
12-02-2011, 01:06 AM
my false fire urchin has the same look but not venomous, and how do I prove that?? I got stung by it quite a few time, and I am still alive to type this message.

dc4
12-02-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm almost positive that the guy said it was a false fire urchin at JL but still venomous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

apexifd
12-02-2011, 02:25 AM
venomous but not deadly at least for me it is not. It felt like bee sting, and irritates for the next few day.

or one simple solution... buy a pair of long gloves...

I have to say sorry to ruglu6 about all the discussion and not buying his urchin.

RuGlu6
12-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Vinegar worked best for me and my wife as well in cases of close contact with nasty marine life.

tang daddy
12-02-2011, 03:42 AM
The lava urchin sounds harmless compared the the long spine diadema black urchin I got stung from before, I was using a razor blade to slit my finger open to tweeze the barb out. It hurt really bad, couldn't stand the pain as the barb kept inching in further. By the time I saw the doctor in ER he said to go home and dip my hand in the hottest water I could stand mixed with vinegar. Never put another long spine in my reef again, but would consider a short spine like the lava!

Norstar
12-02-2011, 04:18 AM
I am VERY interested in it!! Any pictures? I have a severe clove polyp problem that I would love to get rid of!!!

Please PM me if you have any pictures

piusma
12-02-2011, 05:10 AM
I bought one from Ocean Aquatics some time back and it grew fast and actually ate some of my nice sps. I don't believe it feeds on sps, but it was feeding on the algae and continue to eat the sps along it's path.

One day I was doing tank maintainence and I dropped a tool into the tank, and I put my hand into the tank trying to catch the tool (it's pure reflex) without thinking about the urchin. Next thing I know I got stung and my finger turns black (I had to dip my hand into warm vinegar to ease the pain) and hand to stop blood circulation from letting the venom from circulating my body. It HURTS! And that was the last time I've seen my fire urchin!

Steven

BMahura
12-02-2011, 05:17 AM
A couple weeks ago I was cleaning my tank and my long spine (which has grown from a golf ball to volleyball size in 6 months) got me good. After 4 days of trying to pull the barb out and a purple finger I finally managed to rip it out.
Piusma I had the Sam experience with mine as it has been slowly eating away my convexia for the past 2 weeks and am totally unsure why