PDA

View Full Version : Plate coral

Coralgurl
12-01-2011, 02:09 AM
I have what I think is a plate coral but I don't know where it came from. Found a weird shell like thing quite a while ago, checked it out, left it in the tank and noticed a few days later it was gone. Didn't think much of it. A week or so ago, saw what I thought was a mushroom tucked in some rocks, score....but it moved around, one day there, next day gone. I finally found it again, pulled it out and it's a hard base with spines on the top. So plate coral right? Put it back in tank in front on the sand, today it's moved back into the rocks. It's reddish and has tentacles. My camera is in my car so I can't get a pic, which I know would def help. Do plate corals move? Or is this something else?

BMahura
12-01-2011, 04:39 AM
This sounds very strange and not like a plate coral to be moving this much. With my first plate coral if it was not happy where it was it would blow it's self up and float in the current until it was happy. However I don't see why they would move that many times in one day. I've also never seen a red one. A picture would help alot.

Coralgurl
12-01-2011, 05:12 AM
I read up a bit tonight on plate corals and understand they can inflate to move. I will post a pic tomorrow, I know it will help identify. It's def reddish pink. First time I saw it, it was about half the size it is now, so it's growing, but it's tentacles are stringy looking. Weird.