PDA

View Full Version : 150g Build future plans sketch ups, etc. *New Mockup pictures*

Nano
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Hey guys, I'm going to be buying a house this summer/fall, so New house=new&bigger tank! So I have started shopping online, to find the best deals, I have my led set up picked out as the tank is going to be alot of DIY and completely LED I am going to do a 125-150 Gallon tank, and am looking for the best place to buy an aquarium from! Now again, this wont be for a few months, but comparing prices and finding the best one is always a good place to start so here I am! anyone know of a good wholesaler? or online supplier for either glass or acrylic tanks?

Lampshade
12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Canreef is a great place for tanks in the buy/sell section, always people upsizing or downsizing. also check craigslist, etc. Lots of deals like this:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=80148

Nano
12-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Canreef is a great place for tanks in the buy/sell section, always people upsizing or downsizing. also check craigslist, etc. Lots of deals like this:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=80148
I will certainly be watching over the next few months on here! but if I am moving to a larger tank I want to start with 0 scratches if possible lol

RedCoralEdmonton
12-01-2011, 01:34 AM
We have new RR 75s with eurobracing for 275..... with our sales its an additional 15% off.... not too shabby me thinks!

Steve

The Grizz
12-01-2011, 01:41 AM
We have new RR 75s with eurobracing for 275..... with our sales its an additional 15% off.... not too shabby me thinks!

Steve

I think your RR 75's needs stands Steve :biggrin:

Nano
12-01-2011, 01:42 AM

Steve
Damn.. Now if you could only give me a deal like that in 8-10 months ;);)
DIY Stand and canopy will definitely save a huge chunk of change what size sump would be best for a 70-75, 30g?

reefwars
12-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Damn.. Now if you could only give me a deal like that in 8-10 months ;);)
DIY Stand and canopy will definitely save a huge chunk of change what size sump would be best for a 70-75, 30g?

go with the biggest possible sump you can fit in there my friend, if its possible have the sump in your basement or behind a wall so you can go bigger and add a frag tank later as well:):)

ps.steve has amazing deals and greg makes wicked ass stands;) dealt with the both of them and had the best service every time:)

Nano
12-01-2011, 01:52 AM
go with the biggest possible sump you can fit in there my friend, if its possible have the sump in your basement or behind a wall so you can go bigger and add a frag tank later as well:):)

ps.steve has amazing deals and greg makes wicked ass stands;) dealt with the both of them and had the best service every time:)
Greg as in Grizz? lol neat I'd love to do a metal stand and case it with wood. An maybe have enough room for a 50-75 inthe stand for a sump, I'd like to keep everything in one area I think. but I have nearly a year to think and dream and plan... Ahhh to dream... :wink:

reefwars
12-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Greg as in Grizz? lol neat I'd love to do a metal stand and case it with wood. An maybe have enough room for a 50-75 inthe stand for a sump, I'd like to keep everything in one area I think. but I have nearly a year to think and dream and plan... Ahhh to dream... :wink:

yeah go as big as you can so as to increase your water volume(which is great come pollution probs) and more room for goodies and a fuge.

ii have a standard 90g with a 75g sump and still wish i had bigger especially in the refuge section lol

greg is the grizz hes the best at what he does and will give you a supreme deal, def go with metal for your stand and then skin it with something later:)

also consider your tank dimensions upgrading is what alot of people put the most money into they start off with one go slightly bigger then slightly bigger again and again and so forh so ask your self will it be big enough for you, go check out some 75g tanks in person and then make your decision:) my 90 is wayyyyy to small i hate the dimensions and am going with a 200g or bigger in the new year;)

Nano
12-01-2011, 02:06 AM
well I have a 4ft 100 gallon cichlid tank and I love it, I wish it were a bit bigger, but I can definitely live with it lol. The nice thing about having nearly a year to sit and think on this, is I can make changes and decisions with out wasting the money, first things first though, gotta se when we buy a house what typ of space/layout, maybe I could divide a roomwith a nice big tank, but I dont know that yet lol for now I plan on making this a learning/teach me/plans thread then I will be able to go back to it at any point in time for answers and stuff

RedCoralEdmonton
12-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Grizz has amnesia I think..... I have his metal stands at the store to go with the tanks.....

Steve

The Grizz
12-01-2011, 04:26 AM
:lol: no amnesia here, just built so many stands this year I can't keep track.

Nano
12-01-2011, 04:40 AM
now.. Since I'm already taking the larger tank plunge, and there is the chance that I might want to go bigger if I just go 75.. What say a 125 long? (that way I'm not doing it twice, and ticking off the wife) :mrgreen: I think this is plenty, 6' long by what woul that be, 24x24? or 18x18? something like that. I think this is a better way to go, post pone the tank a couple extra weeks/ months and just go all out. corner over flows? center? whats best in this case or both? this is going to be a super awesome project!

The Grizz
12-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Center of tank OF or end OF box if tank would be visable for both sides. Dual corner OF, center OF box on the back, coast to coast OF if only front view.

There are so many options when custom building that it can make your head spin. If you are using as a room divider I would go 72"L x 30"W x 24"H.

Nano
12-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Center of tank OF or end OF box if tank would be visable for both sides. Dual corner OF, center OF box on the back, coast to coast OF if only front view.

There are so many options when custom building that it can make your head spin. If you are using as a room divider I would go 72"L x 30"W x 24"H.

thanks Greg, I'm not too sure what I'm planning yet! :) A little off topic, but I was testing my water with a voltmeter today, and the needle moved, now, I'm completely illiterate to these things, so to solve the problem of the needle moving I began unplugging things until the needle went back to 0... I unplugged everything, but it wasn't until the power bar it self was unplugged, that the needle went back to 0.. so is it safe to assume my power bar is a P.O.S.?

The Grizz
12-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I would try a better power bar but I cant see how the stray voltage is getting into your tank if you unplugged EVERYTHING and it didnt go away until you pulled the bar.

Blom
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I agree I cant see how the voltage is climbing into your tank after everything was unplugged from the power bar. That said always invest in a decent power bar, even if its just for the computer stuff. The cheap 10 buck Canadian tire special have always creeped me out.

Take your time on the tank, figure out over the next bit what it is you want to keep in the tank. Look at others tanks to get a feel on size and what can be done in them. For example I have a 180G in my house right now that may be the I use to setup my "dream" tank or may not. Its 7feet long which I like, and 20" high so its nice and shallow. Issue for me is it is 2 feet deep (width), which is bigger than any other tank Ive ever had by a long shot... but it may not be deep enough for the aquascaping idea I have. 3 feet would be mucho better. But we will see as building a tank adds a bit more cost then buying used off here (which is where I got my 7 footer from). There are some unreal build threads on canreef here, as well as reef central. Spend the next months reading through peoples builds to get ideas, and avoid issues by living vicariously through their mistakes.

Nano
12-02-2011, 12:07 AM
nothing exciting here, but since I decided this will be a "plans" thread, I thought I'd start mocking stuff up. So this is a 125gallon, 72x24x30 with a 36" high stand metal framed, and 3 heatsinks with simulated led lighting after this picture I will try to figure out sump plans plumbing and placement, on the assumption that it would go in a laundry room

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/125tankshotwithlight.jpg

I havent decided on the overflows yet, but I have lots of time to figure that one out.

Nano
12-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Also this is just simulated led on cinema 4d(an animating program) so, I'm not sure if its 100% accurate, but if it is, I will do 3 custom heatsinks 50x50cm with about 24 leds per heatsink if thats enough. Based on my simulation it look like lots, but again this is fake lol. this is where Gregs expert LED advice comes in :wink:
I might also need to add some extra supports into the stand but again Greg your the pro on this haha

xtreme
12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
A standard 125 is usually 72 x 18 x 22. The dims your have (72x24x30) make a 225.

Nano
12-02-2011, 12:15 AM
A standard 125 is usually 72 x 18 x 22. The dims your have (72x24x30) make a 225.

OH? oops well looks like I'm already bigger then I thought! ok well lets call it 72x18x22 haha my mistake!

Nano
12-16-2011, 07:38 AM
So now that I have figured out that I want a 125-150 gallon more likely the 150
I have decided on a canopy & stand casing these arent the actually colors but something along these lines, also I have Decided to go Center Overflow/Returns Is that a good plan? or should I route in some returns in the corners or base of the tank?
This is basically it so far, I have also Decided to go DIY LED but havent decided if I'm going cree or modular yet, I know either way I will be hopefully getting Grizz(Greg) to build me one of those B*tchin Heatsinks, the canopy will also have fans built in for circulation
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/mockup.jpg
I am open to suggestions to help me along on the plans I have a year or so to get this perfect so any criticism is welcome. I hope to plump the sump into a "fish room" or into the laundry room or something so its not a noise concern. I am also taking suggestions for equiptment, such as ATO, wave makers or circulator pumps, Heaters, skimmers and other equipment as I dont have a clue when I get into that stuff hahaha :) thanks guys!

Nano
12-16-2011, 08:03 AM
pretty straight forward here. sump is in the laundry room or basement, out of sight. I dont know if I'm doing this right but its the basic Idea for now I suppose.
You can see I made a line to a drain/laundry sink for quick water changes.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/mockupwithsump.jpg

MarkoD
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
i can build that stand.

heres a similar one i've built in the pst

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2011-07-16at104231AM.png

Nano
12-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Neat nicely done Marko! It probably going to be done by my dad and I though some man bonding time haha, but thanks for the offer!