PDA

View Full Version : IO reef salt

Aquaria
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Anyone using the new IO reef salt? What do you think? Worth the extra coin? I started about a month ago and have to say this stuff is awesome I'm not a tester so I don't know how the perams Stand up to there claims but I know my coral love the stuff way better then regular io plus it mixs cleaner to

Aquattro
11-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Do you mean Reef Crystals? Certainly not new :)

lastlight
11-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Can't be reef crystals I'm left with a lovely brown layer of sludge after every mix lol.

Aquattro
11-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Can't be reef crystals I'm left with a lovely brown layer of sludge after every mix lol.

I told you, stop mixing it in the toilet.....:neutral:

Aquaria
11-30-2011, 03:57 PM
New to me lol iv used alot of diff salt and have never seen it available till j&l got it in

lastlight
11-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I told you, stop mixing it in the toilet.....:neutral:

haha doh!

Aquattro
11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
New to me lol iv used alot of diff salt and have never seen it available till j&l got it in

J&L have had it listed on their site for years. Not a bad salt, just IO with more Ca and alk, I believe. Overall, IO has had a good reputation for salt...

Blom
11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Its what I use. I figure if its good enough for the Atlanta Aquarium it should do fine for my little cube

Aquaria
11-30-2011, 04:10 PM

That's what reg io does to me I had to scrub my PH n heater after EVERY w/c since iv switch I havent had to clean them so Much and u can tell my coral is happier with the change only 1 month in and I'm getting new color, better polyp extension and best of all actual visible growth on my sps.

MarkoD
11-30-2011, 05:57 PM
I use regular IO and dose with b-ionic all and calc. Everything growing well

Never and sludge or anything. Always dissolves completely

daniella3d
11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I have been using reef crystal for a year now and never ever had brown sludge. I have gone through 4 buckets already and nothing but happy. I have huge large palythoas and zoanthids polyps and my sps are doing great and growing very fast.

I will not change salt and will stay with Reef Crystal. I love it and it is much cheaper than H2O which I tried and had bad results with my zoanthids and some SPS.

Best salt I ever used and I tried a few (H2O, Red Sea Coral Pro, Seachem). It always mix clear and fast. I even use it right after mixing when replacing the water from the coral I sell and it clear become clear in no time.

lastlight
11-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I love it as well and just bought 10 pails =)

I'm not very good with rinsing my mixing container after a water-change so I think letting things sit isn't great either. I think what I'll do from now on is get the next batch mixing immediately to make rinsing it unnecessary.

Aquaria
11-30-2011, 10:34 PM
I love it as well and just bought 10 pails =)

I'm not very good with rinsing my mixing container after a water-change so I think letting things sit isn't great either. I think what I'll do from now on is get the next batch mixing immediately to make rinsing it unnecessary.

Thats what I do otherwise I rise well with hot water if I plan to have thebucket empty. (only takes me 5 min wink wink lastlight) I mostly started thisthread to see if others had the same experience with switching from io to reef crystals Did u guys notice the same changes? I also recommend others who are using IO to try out the IO reef crystals coral definitely like the latter much more and it's not that much more then reg IO. Anyone in bc know who sells buckets of io reef crystals? All I have been able to find is 50g bags I might phone j&l see if they can get buckets there's nothing on the site or instore about pails

phyto4life
12-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Thats what I do otherwise I rise well with hot water if I plan to have thebucket empty. (only takes me 5 min wink wink lastlight) I mostly started thisthread to see if others had the same experience with switching from io to reef crystals Did u guys notice the same changes? I also recommend others who are using IO to try out the IO reef crystals coral definitely like the latter much more and it's not that much more then reg IO. Anyone in bc know who sells buckets of io reef crystals? All I have been able to find is 50g bags I might phone j&l see if they can get buckets there's nothing on the site or instore about pails

too pricey for me in the 50G bags and imo I would not pay more then $10 a pail, not alone a bag, for this stuff, when regular I.O work's fine.

so what they rinse it a tad bit better and add mag,ca etc. not worth it unless you like to max your bioload out. everything else can be added.

Aquaria
12-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Idk were ur getting salt but $10 a bucket seems pretty cheap, you must let me know. it's a $6-8 difference from io to io reef in 160g pails and a 4 dollar diff on the bags it still cheaper then other salts and I haven't had to dose since starting i think its a better instant ocean salt. My coral are ALOT happier since changing I clean my w/c equipment less I don't have to dose calc or alk and it's still cheaper then the rest of them its worth it to me. And for the record iv been using io for awhile now cuz I found the rest to not be worth the extra $10-25 all I was asking was if others liked the change