PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate removal with lanthanum chloride

lastlight
11-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Not sure many people know about this stuff but I'd sorta forgotten about it until recently. Here is an old thread on RC I had come across a while back. The good news is you can buy it from pool supply stores and is likely not terribly expensive. Not sure of longterm effects I need to take another rip through the thread. I know Joe Y. who runs the amazing 20,000 tank and more at Atlantis Marine World uses it last I heard.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13390505

reefwars
11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Not sure many people know about this stuff but I'd sorta forgotten about it until recently. Here is an old thread on RC I had come across a while back. The good news is you can buy it from pool supply stores and is likely not terribly expensive. Not sure of longterm effects I need to take another rip through the thread. I know Joe Y. who runs the amazing 20,000 tank and more at Atlantis Marine World uses it last I heard.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13390505e

nice link man im sure the lfs mark up is probably going to be huge compared to pool supply stores that have been selling it for a long time;)

Myka
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13390505

:lol: Noticed my comment on another thread? :D

Be aware that if you dose more Lanthanum chloride than you have PO4 for it to bind to, then it will bind to CO3 and precipitate out which will deplete alkalinity. Personally, I wouldn't be dosing Lanthanum into a tank, but I would definitely use Lanthanum for curing base rock or high PO4 live rock. Lanthanum will not be skimmed out, it has to be mechanically filtered out. It seems as though getting 100% of it out of a display tank setting is not possible and some people (including Randy Holmes-Farley) question what this precipitate will do over time if left in a tank.

waynemah
01-18-2012, 12:39 AM
:lol: Noticed my comment on another thread? :D

Be aware that if you dose more Lanthanum chloride than you have PO4 for it to bind to, then it will bind to CO3 and precipitate out which will deplete alkalinity. Personally, I wouldn't be dosing Lanthanum into a tank, but I would definitely use Lanthanum for curing base rock or high PO4 live rock. Lanthanum will not be skimmed out, it has to be mechanically filtered out. It seems as though getting 100% of it out of a display tank setting is not possible and some people (including Randy Holmes-Farley) question what this precipitate will do over time if left in a tank.

Not to dig up an old thread, but I recently ran into an issue where my alkalinity dropped from 8.4 to 6.4. The only difference was a couple of doses of Foz Down and the addition of a Calcium reactor (My Calcium levls stayed exactly the same). Could it be related?