View Full Version : Coral Reef Adventure DVD

Samw
02-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Has anyone checked out this new DVD?

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000YED1S/701-6849255-0961160

How is it?

monza
02-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Saw it when it was in IMAX. It was ok, I was kind of disappointed. Cool filming for sure, made for simple non reefing minds, light family styled entertainment.
It's also on out on dish.

Dave

(Sorry comma police, I like the things)

Delphinus
02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
If you like anthias, you will like this movie. Unfortunately there are a lot of other parts of the reef that are glossed over or overlooked altogether.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "disappointment" but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations. For example, I don't think there were any scenes dedicated to anemones or anemonefish.

But boy, if you like anthias, it is just shot after shot, scene after scene, of anthias. Did I mention there is a lot of anthias in the movie? Because there are a lot of anthias. Pretty fish, ... but ... uh ... there are OTHER pretty fish in the reef too, no?

Aquattro
02-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Tony, did you happen to see any anthias in this film?

Son Of Skyline
02-16-2004, 05:21 PM

I heard there may be some anthias in the film somewhere.

whaase
02-16-2004, 05:23 PM

I heard there may be some anthias in the film somewhere.

Darn, it must have gone by so quick I missed it... :mrgreen:

Walter

Bob I
02-16-2004, 05:30 PM
If you like anthias, you will like this movie. Unfortunately there are a lot of other parts of the reef that are glossed over or overlooked altogether.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "disappointment" but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations. For example, I don't think there were any scenes dedicated to anemones or anemonefish.

But boy, if you like anthias, it is just shot after shot, scene after scene, of anthias. Did I mention there is a lot of anthias in the movie? Because there are a lot of anthias. Pretty fish, ... but ... uh ... there are OTHER pretty fish in the reef too, no?

Hmmmm, Anthias eh. You are such a good salesman, I ordered one for $19.50 :eek: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
02-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Hmmmm, Anthias eh. You are such a good salesman, I ordered one for $19.50 :eek: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

But are you prepared to feed it 3 times a day ? :eek: :razz:

Bob I
02-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Ahhh Steve, you must be post padding. :razz: :rolleyes: :eek: :mrgreen:

Delphinus
02-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Do you not agree though? I didn't mind the anthias, just was a bit overwhelmed by them.

Don't get me wrong, it's worthwhile seeing the movie. I just wish they could have gone further with some things.

I seem to recall it also does pitch the guilt factor somewhat.

I think it is a very basic overview of reefs. To someone who's never seen a reef, it's a jaw dropper. To someone with a higher-than-average knowledge of the reefs already, it doesn't really tell you anything you didn't already know. But it's good eye candy still.

Buccaneer
02-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Ahhh Steve, you must be post padding. :razz: :rolleyes: :eek: :mrgreen:

Ya got me :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
02-17-2004, 01:42 AM

Did you read up on the requirments of anthias? if not is it to late to cancle your order. most Anthias requires more room than tangs, and to keep them properly you need 1 male and aprox 6 to 10 females in a tank no smaller than 150 gal (on average) some species can live in 135 gal tanks. on thge other hand you can keep a single one in a tank no smaller than 50 gal BUT that is not optimal. If the ratings are in line to how tangs are rated then it is grosly under sized. for instance a yellow tang is listed as a min tank of 40 gal. where almost every species of anthias is min 50 or bigger. this is all in adition to there frequent eating habbits which means you need to feed them a minimum of 2 times a day preferable 3 or more, But seeing as you are retired I think you can handle that part of it.

you've heard of the tang police well I am the anthias police :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
02-17-2004, 01:48 AM

Did you read up on the requirments of anthias? if not is it to late to cancle your order.

Um, pretty sure Bob ordered a DVD, not an anthias. :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
02-17-2004, 02:28 AM

ok thats allowed then :mrgreen: sorry Bob it was hard to decern weather you ordered the dvd or the fish hehe.

Steve

Bob I
02-17-2004, 03:01 AM

ok thats allowed then :mrgreen: sorry Bob it was hard to decern weather you ordered the dvd or the fish hehe.

Steve

Yes I was not totally clear on that. I would not dream of putting any Anthias in my small tanks. (I don't even have a Yellow Tang) Anthias are beatiful fish, so I have ordered the video so I can watch them. I actually have nothing bigger than a young Tomato Clown in my tanks. :lilangel:

StirCrazy
02-17-2004, 03:34 AM
:lilangel:

ok now were pushing it :mrgreen:

Steve