PDA

View Full Version : killing aiptasia with "majano wand"

imcosmokramer
11-29-2011, 08:04 PM
this is sweet: http://reeftools.com/news/majano-wand-killing-aiptasia/

Lampshade
11-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Defintily a cool device, i love mine, I made my own it's not too hard.

12V powersupply, a switch inline, and used 2 fish-hooks as my probes(they have held out the best so far, i used a syringe needle that melted in a few uses). I wired them through a case from a Bic Pen and sealed it with silicone so that one probe is out about 2", the other about 1/2". Turn on the switch, it melts anything. I made it for aptasia, works well, but defitnily beter at mojono's since if you kill the mouth they're toast, aptasia can grow back from nearly nothing left.

Overall, cost about $10 and took maybe an hour to wire. I hear if you use graphite on the negative lead it holds out better, but my fish-hooks have done the trick, i cut them off so they where some what straight, and they come with a nice eyelet for wiring :P.

imcosmokramer
11-29-2011, 10:31 PM
you got a pic of yours?

Beverly
11-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I use a syringe loaded with kalk water. Kills 'em dead everytime. Cheap, too.

The Grizz
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
I managed to buy the last SWC zapper before they went off the market due to the court battle. I love it for my frag tank but my CBB keeps my apitasia & small white feather dusters to non existent.

Beverly
11-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Oh, I love the little feather dusters! They are some of the things in our 10g that my 6 year old granddaugher and I count when she visits :lilangel:

Lampshade
11-29-2011, 11:05 PM
I'll post a pic of mine when i get home, it looks homemade, haha, but works.

Son Of Skyline
11-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this video makes this wand seem strangely phallic? It must be the music.

The Grizz
11-30-2011, 01:57 AM
Oh, I love the little feather dusters!

I don't mind them when there are not in the thousands. My whole sand bed was covered, all 8' x 2' of it!

BlueTang<3
11-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Overall, cost about $10 and took maybe an hour to wire. I hear if you use graphite on the negative lead it holds out better, but my fish-hooks have done the trick, i cut them off so they where some what straight, and they come with a nice eyelet for wiring :P.

They are only using the graphite as a resistor, I had made one with out the graphite and with a 24 volt 3 amp power supply. First run was with needles and melt them in seconds i switched to hooks and melted in minutes. Did a little more research and found people using them as a resistor, I cant understand why they did not just use smaller power supplies.