PDA

View Full Version : Evaporation

mexxedm
11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
What should I do when my tank is evaporated? Do I need to put freshwater in to keep the salinity the same or put more saltwater in? I have read a blog somewhere that I have should put the fresh water in. However, every time I do it, stuffs in there get finicky.
Thanks for your help.

Aquattro
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Always top off with fresh water. Make sure it's RO or treated tap water, chlorine won't go over well.

Douglas
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Fresh RO/DI water should be added to keep the salinity at a constant level. An auto top of system is something that is recommended.

Aquattro
11-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Also, if you've been using salt water, check your salinity, it's going to be high...

phi delt reefer
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
you should be adding ro/di water (ie. freshwater)

you should have an auto top-off unit constantly topping the tank off to stop stuff from getting "finicky". If you are just toping off every couple days then you may be swinging your salinity which is ****ing your livestock off. I know in my 50 gallon system i was evaporating about 1/2 gallon a day and i was topping off once a day but nothing was getting angry in the tank.

staceyd72
11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
As suggested, use RODI or treated tap water to replace evaporation.

I find it's best to add top up water to the sump, give it ample time to mix in. If you don't have a sump, just add a little to the display at a time, as not to shock the inhabitants; try to get the top up water at a comparable temperature to the display/system's water.

Cheers

mexxedm
11-29-2011, 06:38 PM
What is RO/DI water? I have heard and seen the term before but never know what it is.
Thank you.

ScubaSteve
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Reverse Osmosis/Deionized. It is essentially pure water, no other minerals or contaminant.

mexxedm
11-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Reverse Osmosis/Deionized. It is essentially pure water, no other minerals or contaminant.
Thank you.

scherzo
11-30-2011, 01:10 AM
How long have you had your tank for? Have you been adding water straight from the tap for your top up? Are you also using tap water to make your saltwater?

This also may be why your livestock are bothered. There may be something in your water source that make things unstable.

Just a thought.

Beverly
11-30-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm in Edmonton, too, and use tapwater, though perhaps from a different water treatment plant than mexxedm. When treated with Prime, local tapwater is actually pretty good.

When topping up, though, I use store-bought RO mixed with kalk and dripped at night.

reefwars
11-30-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm in Edmonton, too, and use tapwater, though perhaps from a different water treatment plant than mexxedm. When treated with Prime, local tapwater is actually pretty good.

When topping up, though, I use store-bought RO mixed with kalk and dripped at night.

used tap water in edmonton for years half the time i was too lazy for prime lol never had anyproblems;)

Corbin
11-30-2011, 02:13 AM
wait.... to lazy for prime? adding a couple drops is to much work. *slides gun across table*

reefwars
11-30-2011, 02:14 AM
wait.... to lazy for prime? adding a couple drops is to much work. *slides gun across table*

haha yup lol