PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a quarantine tank?

reefgirl189
11-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Just curious who has one, how does it compare to your main (gallon wise), do you keep any inhabitants in it, what's the setup etc.

And most importantly, has it ever actually saved your main from imminent failure?

And yes I realize that I spelt quarantine wrong. Sorry!

Aquattro
11-29-2011, 03:22 AM
And yes I realize that I spelt quarantine wrong. Sorry!

fixed that for ya :)

No, I don't.

Mike-fish
11-29-2011, 03:30 AM
I have a 30g tank for quarantine my main tanks are 30g cube and 175g I have been lucky with my fish all have been healthy. To me it's well worth the time and money

Maverick00
11-29-2011, 04:47 AM
Not currently, I do plan on getting one eventually.

The Grizz
11-29-2011, 04:53 AM
I have a 20 gal tank, heater & HOB filter that I can throw together in minutes if needed. When I need to set it up I pull water out of my display & depending on what fish is going into it I have a range of pieces of PVC pipe to drop in.

emerald crab
11-29-2011, 04:57 AM
I don't add anymore fish,( so no quarantine for that) but I dip and quarantine every coral for six weeks.

fishytime
11-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I did have a QT for a short time, but no QT now.....I feel that the QT process adds an extra stress to the fishes life....

Reef Pilot
11-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I actually have 2 tanks that I use to quarantine fish or corals. One is my refugium that I can disconnect from my DT if I want. This gives me some flexibility to quarantine fish or corals as needed, and rescue any corals that might get picked on by my Pearlscales. Both are 30 g.

Also use it to move/clean live rock from my DT and see if any aiptasia reappear. My Pearlscales and Copperband have done a great job of removing them from my DT, but I am sure there are still some hiding out, and I want to totally eradicate this pest. I used to have hundreds of them all over the tank, until my butterfly fish got to work.

reefgirl189
11-29-2011, 03:48 PM
fixed that for ya :)

No, I don't.

Thanks!

globaldesigns
11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
NOPE!

Leah
11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
NOPE!

Are you sure about that? :lol:

daniella3d
11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Sure do, it's a 21 gallons and it's up permanently. It has liverock and macro algae in it but no fish.

Damn..I just got a small mantis shrimp baby on some piece of liverock with zoa...I have put it in there and hope it will survive. It's only about one inch for now so that quarantine will be a temporary home for the mantis if it does survive.

Nano
11-29-2011, 09:18 PM
I have a 20 gal tank, heater & HOB filter that I can throw together in minutes if needed. When I need to set it up I pull water out of my display & depending on what fish is going into it I have a range of pieces of PVC pipe to drop in.

Never thought of that haha, good Idea

globaldesigns
11-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Are you sure about that? :lol:

NOPE :biggrin:

globaldesigns
11-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Sure do, it's a 21 gallons and it's up permanently. It has liverock and macro algae in it but no fish.

Damn..I just got a small mantis shrimp baby on some piece of liverock with zoa...I have put it in there and hope it will survive. It's only about one inch for now so that quarantine will be a temporary home for the mantis if it does survive.

Isn't that a refuge then? HEHE.

daniella3d
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
What ever you wish to call it. This is where my fish go until the pass the check up time and if I need to treat, I remove the plants and leave only the liverock. so far I never had to treat with copper, so I was lucky. I treated with hyposalinity, Paraguard and prazipro so no need to remove the liverock and no ammonia what so ever.

It is even nice for the fish with hiding places.

Isn't that a refuge then? HEHE.

gregzz4
11-29-2011, 11:55 PM
This is my exact plan. Already have all the gear as I was running freshwater before.

Cal_stir
11-30-2011, 12:23 AM
YES
20 gal, rock rubble, canister filter, cheato.
learned my lesson a couple years ago

reefgirl189
11-30-2011, 12:31 AM
YES
20 gal, rock rubble, canister filter, cheato.
learned my lesson a couple years ago

Mind if I ask what happened?

I'm trying to justify getting one but I'd probably just turn it into another display. haha

Cal_stir
11-30-2011, 12:51 AM
ICH!
we use to qt new fish and use it to treat fish with ich in hyposalinity

toytech
11-30-2011, 01:17 AM
I dont but i will soon , not so much for desease but more so to make sure the fish is eating well .

whatcaneyedo
11-30-2011, 03:32 AM
I've got a pretty simple 20gal with heater, T5 fixture, and two koralia power heads. I rarely ever buy fish these days and the ones I do acquire tend to come from friends so I don't bother with them. But I do quarantine all new coral and clams. Quarantining has saved me from re-introducing red bugs, majanos and perhaps a few other pests on a couple of occasions.

My main system is 240gal.