PDA

View Full Version : what a good Ro/di unit?

Nano
11-29-2011, 02:58 AM
I've Convinced the Mrs! Finally lol, now I just have to find one in the ball park of $150 that can attach to plumbing or a faucet in my case, that can also be used for drinking water lol tho I think most can. anyone know of a good system? I've seen some online for around 200 that come with ATO's but don't know if that would work well in my apartment

Dr_Hicks
11-29-2011, 03:10 AM
I have purchased three systems from these fellas, excellent service, free shipping and no TAX!

No one online can touch this price either
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AQUARIUM-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-7-Stages-100GPD-0ppm-/260867150954?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3cbce4d46a

Their company website is www.aquasafecanada.com

If you purchase though ebay it's cheaper than going though their company site.

Nano
11-29-2011, 03:17 AM
I have purchased three systems from these fellas, excellent service, free shipping and no TAX!

No one online can touch this price either
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AQUARIUM-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-7-Stages-100GPD-0ppm-/260867150954?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3cbce4d46a

Their company website is www.aquasafecanada.com

If you purchase though ebay it's cheaper than going though their company site.

ro is safe for drinking too right?

Dr_Hicks
11-29-2011, 03:18 AM
ro is safe for drinking too right?

Yes I use it to fill up our five gallon water cooler style jugs, it's perfect for drinking.

Nano
11-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Yes I use it to fill up our five gallon water cooler style jugs, it's perfect for drinking.

k I thought so I just wasnt sure cause there is aquarium ones and home ones lol does it matter which one?

Mike-fish
11-29-2011, 03:21 AM
I have a vertex 100g/d ro/ di unit and love it unfortunately it's out of your price range by almost double I would save up for a good unit

Nano
11-29-2011, 03:23 AM
I have a vertex 100g/d ro/ di unit and love it unfortunately it's out of your price range by almost double I would save up for a good unit

lol money is a scarce thing with diaper bills lol

Aquattro
11-29-2011, 03:24 AM
k I thought so I just wasnt sure cause there is aquarium ones and home ones lol does it matter which one?

no. I believe almost every one of them use a Dow membrane. A basic unit is well within your budget, and really all you need. You can add on later to most units if you have the desire.

Dr_Hicks
11-29-2011, 03:27 AM

No doubt it's a great unit, I have however been running one of these exact systems in my personal home for about two years, and the other units are also preforming 100%.

No need to blow a bunch of cash on a name brand nanomano, the filers and resins are all of the same chemical makeup, and produce the same results; so it makes no sense to waste money on a name in my opinion.

reefwars
11-29-2011, 03:31 AM
agreed you dont need to spend a fortune ,keep an eye on here and kiiji they pop up all the time;)

Dr_Hicks
11-29-2011, 03:32 AM

The home unit has a pressure tank system that is not necessary for your application, the aquarium model also contains an extra two stages of filtration, it's a full seven stage system; the home system is a five.

Nano
11-29-2011, 03:40 AM
Awesome again guy, thanks for the help and speedy responses!

mike31154
11-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Before buying a system, best to find out a little more about your tap/source water. I assume the city of Wetaskiwin is the water provider? If so, they likely have a web page with water quality data, such as TDS, and whether the water is treated with chlorine or chloramine for disinfection. Chlorine is commonly used and once you confirm this, you will not need a 7 stage system with two carbon pre filters. Two carbon stages are usually only required for water treated with chloramine.

100 gpd RO membranes have a lower rejection rate than a 75 gpd or 50 gpd, so although you'll be making water faster, you will likely be using up DI media faster as well, and DI media is costly. Also better if pre filter housings are made of clear acrylic rather than the white plastic on some of the cheaper systems. The clear housings make it easy to monitor the condition of your sediment filters visually. The DI stage should also be mounted vertically, not horizontally as on some systems. Horizontally mounted DI cartridges will not make full use of all the DI media inside. A good quality system will also include at least one pressure gauge and a TDS meter.

Saving a few bucks up front on a cheaper system may end up costing you further down the road. I'd recommend budgeting about $200 and you'll get yourself a good quality system with no surprises, such as inadequate pre filters or cheap RO membranes. Most RODI systems use standard, generic 10 inch filter housings and vendors simply stamp their brand name on the product. Aquarium RO systems are no different than others, except that we tend to add the DI stage to completely strip the water of all contaminants. Plenty of info out there, do a bit more research before spending the $$$s.

Nano
11-29-2011, 03:50 AM
....whether the water is treated with chlorine or chloramine for disinfection. Chlorine is commonly used and once you confirm this, you will not need a 7 stage system with two carbon pre filters. Two carbon stages are usually only required for water treated with chloramine.....

It is treated with chloramine so I have found out, I wasn't able to get a full report, but called the water treatment facility and got some info, also finding out there is a miniscule amount of mercury in the water!! Apparently only 2 parts per BILLION but this is still present! This scared me as I love my water, so no more tap water for me lol.

mike31154
11-29-2011, 04:02 AM
It is treated with chloramine so I have found out, I wasn't able to get a full report, but called the water treatment facility and got some info, also finding out there is a miniscule amount of mercury in the water!! Apparently only 2 parts per BILLION but this is still present! This scared me as I love my water, so no more tap water for me lol.

There you go, you're ahead of the game already. There are few nasties in our water here as well, all within allowable limits for drinking, but I'm still glad I now have a RODI system and have been using the RO for drinking water, coffee, making beer/wine and occasionally when I'm cooking, like making a fine gravy or something.

Since you've confirmed that your water is chloramine treated, you will need two carbon stages before the RO membrane in order to protect it. Should only need one DI stage though, same housing as the pre filters. The one linked to on eBay with the 3 DI stages stacked horizontally is not only overkill, but very inefficient due to the horizontal mounting configuration. I'll reiterate that a TDS meter & pressure gauge are two items no system should be without. You might even want to pick up a handheld TDS meter & check your tap water before buying the RO system. I found one at the local WalM for just under $10. Should be in the aisles close to automotive stuff, where the RV gear is. They sell them so people can check the water they hook up to with RVs when traveling.

Nano
11-29-2011, 04:10 AM
There you go, you're ahead of the game already. There are few nasties in our water here as well, all within allowable limits for drinking, but I'm still glad I now have a RODI system and have been using the RO for drinking water, coffee, making beer/wine and occasionally when I'm cooking, like making a fine gravy or something.

Since you've confirmed that your water is chloramine treated, you will need two carbon stages before the RO membrane in order to protect it. Should only need one DI stage though, same housing as the pre filters. The one linked to on eBay with the 3 DI stages stacked horizontally is not only overkill, but very inefficient due to the horizontal mounting configuration. I'll reiterate that a TDS meter & pressure gauge are two items no system should be without. You might even want to pick up a handheld TDS meter & check your tap water before buying the RO system. I found one at the local WalM for just under $10. Should be in the aisles close to automotive stuff, where the RV gear is. They sell them so people can check the water they hook up to with RVs when traveling.

Right on thanks for the info! I have some reading up to do I guess haha

Hustler
11-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Ive got the aquasafe, Great unit... cheaper on ebay :)
but i have 2 older units that did just about the same thing.... Buy used and get new filters/membrane and you will be just fine and cheap bro