PDA

View Full Version : So this is what i woke up to

Corbin
11-29-2011, 12:16 AM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/ColorMe_01/a5774a77.jpg

Apperently over night a Maxi jet decided it didnt want to stay on the glass and thought it would make a better life as a sand sifter...
I couldnt do anything cuz i had to go to work, i just pulled the power head out and left, Talk about stressing your fish/corals out, i just did a major re scape of the rockwork added some more sand and everything was good and the water was just about cleared up when i went to bed.
Just got home, only about 40-50% clear, cant even see the back of the tank and most corals, most my LPS was covered, hope nothing is lost, all my SPS is on the other side of the tank so they are okay.
I can tell my Sea cucumber is losing its mind, i got it like 2 days ago, and it was so happy on the first day, running around everywhere feeding, now for almost 2 days its been sitting at the top of the tank not moving or feeding - not moving so much, that a baby turbo snail and a few pods have taken up shelter under neath it.

OH TANK WHY IS YOU SO STRESSFUL... i need a beer

P.s. guess i should just do a water change

Dr_Hicks
11-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Try to stay clam, I know this seems very very bad; however it will be okay; after all the sand is not poison and toxic, this same thing can happen in the wild with hurricanes and storms.

Just let the water clear up and break out the turkey baster to gently start cleaning the large sand granules out of your corals and rock work..... start from the top and work your way gently down :-)

Good luck with your project, and hope you are feeling better soon mate :wink:

Nano
11-29-2011, 12:29 AM
man that sucks! lol hopefully all is well

BlueTang<3
11-29-2011, 12:45 AM
What kind of filter do you have? You should be fine your system is new and you wont have harmful gases built up in the tank. I would run some polywool and carbon in your filter if your able to to take as much of that crap out of the water as you can.

Corbin
11-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Just let the water clear up and break out the turkey baster to gently start cleaning the large sand granules out of your corals and rock work..... start from the top and work your way gently down :-)

haha that sounded a little dirty ;)

What kind of filter do you have? You should be fine your system is new and you wont have harmful gases built up in the tank. I would run some polywool and carbon in your filter if your able to to take as much of that crap out of the water as you can.

No mechanical filter, Yes it is only been running since sept.

well since the post its clearned up pretty fast, i can see the back (bearly) all the sand i removed first then when i got home, seemed to be most of it, and the polyps are still open..

not so much worried as stressed.

Beverly
11-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Wow. Sorry to hear about your powerhead dropping off like that :( I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often with powerheads that use suction cups to stay put.

Corbin
11-29-2011, 02:34 AM
i know right, im retiring them all and getting more koralias, suction and magnets, both cant fail... though knowing this hobby i better not say that.

Hustler
11-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Im in the same boat today as you... Added 40lbs of sand to my sump and ta da... rinse and all its still like milk... 2nd time Ive waited this out now but 3 days and your good to go.
Any way you can get some filter floss working in there? cuts time in half...

Corbin
11-29-2011, 02:49 AM
I could but i dont have any handy...

reefgirl189
11-29-2011, 02:58 AM
Oh I would be so angry!

But I'm going to say to you, don't worry. Stay happy.

All will settle in time.
Poor sea cucumber though. It's been a rough week for him.

Maverick00
11-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Mine fell off my remora skimmer when i was out of town. I didnt use the suction cups, figured a couple zap straps would be strong enough. My tank looked just as cloudy, however i didnt lose any sps/lps or livestock. Good luck with the cleanup