PDA

View Full Version : growing macro vs. skimmer

chris88
11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Has anyone ever tried growing macroalgae instead of using their skimmer. I am getting feed up with my skimmer and i am thinking about a change?

Proteus
11-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Growing sponge would be a good way along with macro

reefwars
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Has anyone ever tried growing macroalgae instead of using their skimmer. I am getting feed up with my skimmer and i am thinking about a change?

ive ran more setups without skimmers and using fuges than i have with skimmers lol you may want to consider your waterchange routine then though hehehe ;)

for anyone new i would never recommend not using a skimmer but if youve been in the game a while(like you have) then we learn where the bio load comes from....me personally im not a fish fan, too messy,too risky and no payback...... since i always keep a very low bioload and it stays that way for a long time the only new stuff that hits my tank is corals and media replacement/dosings.

running a sps dominated reef will be a bit harder then what ive always done(mixed reef) so i guess you will have to be extra diligent on what goes into and out of your tank:):)

reefwars
11-28-2011, 05:33 PM

what kind of macro were you thinking and are you going to use it directly in your display or keep it isolated in your sump ??:)

fishytime
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I think you would need a metric tonne of macro to completely replace what a skimmer does.....like Denny said you will need to adjust your maintenance routine...... whats the issue with your skimmer?

Myka
11-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Maybe you need a new skimmer? The awesomest is using a skimmer AND Chaeto. :Banane01:

Skimmerking
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
You need to call the skimmerman for all your skimmer needs

reefwars
11-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Maybe you need a new skimmer? The awesomest is using a skimmer AND Chaeto. :Banane01:

awesomest....im so stealing this lol thanks mindy hehehe:):)

chris88
11-29-2011, 04:29 PM
i use a bubble magus and it works awesome when it is working. Problem is that the air line keeps getting slighlty clogged and the skimmer over flows and makes a huge mess.

I have always used a skimmer but lately i think growing chateo in the sump might be easier.

phyto4life
11-29-2011, 05:40 PM
I'll have to agree with reefwars.

Not having a skimmer just means you have to limit you bioload, feeding and increase the dilution of your pollution through consistant weekly/bi-weekly water changes.

brianlow
11-30-2011, 12:44 AM
For the natural route check out algae turf scrubbers and deep sand beds.

What is clogging the airline? I've had good luck so far with a pill bottle silencer. You could add additional airline intakes so they take longer to clog. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168424