PDA

View Full Version : Power outage

spawn
11-27-2011, 09:15 PM
So the power has been out for 3 hours now.... The vortec is running 1 pump... How long is this enough? What else can be done to help w/o a generator

Delphinus
11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
The main thing is O2 levels in the water which the one Vortech should be enough to keep it stirred enough to keep those up. Next would be the temperature, but hopefully room temperature is close to your tank temperature which should slow the energy loss some. Hope the power comes back soon.

Crazy winds today. I am watching the siding and shingles fly off every house in the neighbourhood. Downtown is closed, I've never heard of this happening before and I've lived here my whole life!

no_bs
11-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Downtown is closed

I lived there for along time, and yep never heard of that. Must be nasty out there.

Brightwhite
11-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Was just reading and lookin at some pics on a Calgary based forum... Pretty nutty stuff happening.

RedCoralEdmonton
11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
On beyond?

Steve

Brightwhite
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM
On beyond?

Steve

Yep!

Dr_Hicks
11-27-2011, 10:04 PM
If it gets really bad you can triple ziplock bag some hand-warmers and submerge them close to circulation, I have done this once when we were without power for 12 hours, I had enough battery back up for a small pump, and the hand-warmers although unconventional do put out good heat.

I used freezer style ziplocks because of the thicker plastic, worked like a charm.

ps...
The warmers need little air in the bag once you get them going, mine lasted about 4 hours each.

tim the toolman
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
i bought myself a 1300w generator for 175$ at walmart just to have. I used it once so far and it was lots of power to run a heater and a couple pumps/powerheads, while also running my fridge

RedCoralEdmonton
11-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Link? cant seem to find the pics on there....

edit: found it... lol who posts in the law forum....

Steve

Dr_Hicks
11-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Link? cant seem to find the pics on there....

edit: found it... lol who posts in the law forum....

Steve

There is a photo slide show on the www.calgarysun.com

cuz
11-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Lethbridge has some pretty crazy grass fires going on with the high winds!!

lorenz0
11-28-2011, 12:44 AM
K I keep hearing about these crazy winds and didn't experience any of it today. walked the dogs 3 times, rode my bmx down to 1410 for a few drinks and came home after picking up my car by confederation. lol i think i live in a bubble.

but on to topic, you should be fine with the one powerhead. hows your temp?

Dr_Hicks
11-28-2011, 01:03 AM
K I keep hearing about these crazy winds and didn't experience any of it today. walked the dogs 3 times, rode my bmx down to 1410 for a few drinks and came home after picking up my car by confederation. lol i think i live in a bubble.

but on to topic, you should be fine with the one powerhead. hows your temp?

You must live in a bubble mate, seems Calgary and pretty much all of southern Alberta was windy today :wink:

I just watched some footage in CBCNN and it looked crazy!

lorenz0
11-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Turns out I was on my bike during the worst of it

Just happy my apartment didn't lose power. Hopefully everything's working now for sean