PDA

View Full Version : Iodide/ine

Brandon5555
11-27-2011, 12:56 AM
So I was told to dose iodine to my soft corals that start looking nasty. Problem: I can only find Iodide. Is it the same? Also how do I go about treating?

Seamazter
11-27-2011, 01:14 AM
I can attest to it helping corals.
Yah the stuff on the shelf at the store is the right one.
Mostly when someone says iodine, just think iodide.
Its the norm for everyone just to say iodine.

whatcaneyedo
11-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Iodine in Marine Aquaria: Part I
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Iodine in Reef Tanks 2: Effects on Macroalgae Growth
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...l2003/chem.htm

Maverick00
11-27-2011, 02:18 AM
I attempted to dose awhile back but quickly decided it wasnt worth the risk of overdosing. Overdosing can cause serious problems, I found the test kits rather difficult to perform as well as read.

tchndie
11-27-2011, 02:52 AM
I have been using Brightwell Aquatics Lugol's Iodine Solution for about 1 1/2 years and will keep using it!!! Iodine will also help richen the colours of you SPS corals as well! But be careful not to overdose it! I would buy the D&D iodine test kit if you want to dose iodine! Good luck! keep us posted!

Brandon5555
11-27-2011, 05:38 AM
I heard people use the term "iodine dip" What does that involve?

mikejrice
11-27-2011, 06:49 AM
It's really not safe to dose anything that you can't test for. Iodine is most easily replenished by water changes.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

mikejrice
11-27-2011, 06:51 AM
I heard people use the term "iodine dip" What does that involve?

It does make a really good dip for coral pests. I don't have exact measurements on how much I use, but I simply add enough to give the dip water a yellow hue. Let the corals sit for about 15 minutes and watch the little critters fall off dead.

Michael Rice

Nano
11-27-2011, 07:29 AM
It does make a really good dip for coral pests. I don't have exact measurements on how much I use, but I simply add enough to give the dip water a yellow hue. Let the corals sit for about 15 minutes and watch the little critters fall off dead.

Michael Rice

I was wondering how that was done thanks! Just for future referenceif I have any pest problems Haha

Brandon5555
11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
WOW! Alright so I mixed some iodide with regular salt water so it was a little yellow. Put my xenia in for 15 minutes, put it my tank and this morning I was blown away. Its open and happy as can be! Thank you guys so much

Myka
11-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Make sure you don't have any nuisance algae in your tank...iodine and iodide will sure help nuisance algae grow as well! ;)