PDA

View Full Version : Opinions sought on Tunze placement

Delphinus
11-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I have 4 6105's in my 280g right now aimed in such a way to create an alternating gyre.. long story short the effect is neat but I'm not really convinced it's a good enough flow pattern because there is a fair amount of detritus settling on the rocks.

Think I'm going to change things around a bit. Any opinions out there for good placement? Anywhere along the back wall and left side are options.

Currently they are in the corners with the exception that the right back corner has 2 and the front right corner is empty due to the right side being visible.

gregzz4
11-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I assume you already have the deluxe multi-controller
Any thought on adding a couple Vortechs to create the undertow Tunzes just don't do?

Reefer Rob
11-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I like the gyre concept, and was planning to use it in my tank rather than the surge/random flow of my previous setup. Perhaps its a little too gentle for good clean rocks (I'm a bit anal about that). You could try adding more pumps to add flow without interfering with the gyre.

Delphinus
11-27-2011, 06:21 PM
I was sort of hoping not to add any more pumps at this point and see what I could do. I'd love Vortechs but the the cost is too prohibitive for me at this time. I have a 7095 controller. I'm noticing the 7096 has a desedimentation mode though so I wonder if I should consider getting into that controller.

From an aesthetic perspective the gyre is pretty cool. It's even cooler seeing it change directions every couple minutes. But the detritus settling is a huge issue and I think I need to fix this. I'll try posting some pictures/videos later, you can see how bad the detritus is settling in spots and the consequences this is having on the tank's overall health.

RDNanoGuy
11-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I had a similar problem using the 7095 and 6055's in my 130 gal reef. I solved the settling detritus problem by adding a nano wavebox. It's amazing how well it can get the particles up and into the water column and to the overflow!

Delphinus
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I have a wavebox on the tank already. In fact, I had two until a couple weeks ago. Took one offline and sold it because the second one wasn't really adding a whole lot of dimension. I guess the aquascaping idea having islands with overhangs is the issue. Maybe more pumps in the flow shadow zones maybe is the answer I'm looking for. .. Darn.

... or maybe a tank re-aquascaping project in the near future. ... :lol:

lastlight
04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Shoot guess I didn't help ya Tony.

In my defense my tank wasn't running yet so I wasn't in the know. I hope we're still cool? :biggrin: