PDA

View Full Version : Gross - cleaning skimmer cup

Coralgurl
11-26-2011, 06:13 PM
I think the grossest part of this hobby is cleaning the skimmer cup...seriously nasty! Anyone else?

Corbin
11-26-2011, 09:24 PM
doesnt bug me, i clean the cup with my fingers...

Madreefer
11-26-2011, 10:02 PM
It makes a great guacamole

whatcaneyedo
11-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Lifting up a rock to see a writhing mass of bristle worms bothers me more.

Coralgurl
11-26-2011, 11:52 PM
I've seen a couple bristle worms moving about...my cleaner shrimp bug me too, like spiders, one bit me...ahh well.

With your fingers?? Ewwww...lol

dreef
11-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Doesn't bother me at all..and mines naaaasty..i use my hands too clean mine as well. :)

fishytime
11-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Think of it this way.... The nastier it is, the better your skimmer is working :wink:.... And that's a good thing

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Nope, I don't mind since I look at it as that's nastiness that is no longer in my tank:wink:

I agree with the bristleworms comment. Don't have many left, which is fine with me.

jtbadco
11-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Skimmer goo doesn't bother me.

Dead rotting turbo snail!?!? Big time gross.

Triggz
11-27-2011, 01:40 AM
pfft bristleworms....

Try lifting up a rock to a 3 foot+ Eunice worm! I just about puked....

marie
11-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Skimmer goo doesn't bother me.

Dead rotting turbo snail!?!? Big time gross.

I'm fine with skimmer goo, bristle worms and even the 3 ft worm.....but if I ever have to remove another dead turbo snail before the contents have been cleaned out?...... I'm quitting the hobby :razz:

Zoaelite
11-27-2011, 02:10 AM
I'm fine with skimmer goo, bristle worms and even the 3 ft worm.....but if I ever have to remove another dead turbo snail before the contents have been cleaned out?...... I'm quitting the hobby :razz:

+1, also applies to half dead clams & goopy nems *vomit*.

Coralgurl
11-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Well I guess there are worse things than skimmer goo, no dead rotting snails or clams or other funky worms in my experience yet, that's what I have to look forward to?? Oh my....:biggrin:

Lampshade
11-27-2011, 02:53 AM
I lost a turbo snail in my first tank, I took him out the day AFTER garbage day. 6 days later i nearly died opening the garbage can again, worst smell ever.

jtbadco
11-27-2011, 03:08 AM
The turbos were the first snails I purchased when I started my tank.

I noticed one in a corner had not moved in a day or so so I reached in to check it out. I flipped it over and this slime oozed out into the water and the stench was sickening. I almost threw up before I could throw the shell away.

Reef Pilot
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Further to the stinky skimmer goo.... I can handle cleaning my skimmer cup from time to time, but what I don't like is having a bit of that same smell in my sump room, coming from the milk jug where I collect the overflow from my skimmer cup. I empty and clean it about once a week, but the smell starts almost immediately.

I think it is because I have a beckett skimmer that draws a lot of air, which ends up being pushed through the skimmer cup and out through my milk jug.

Any ideas on how to reduce this smell? Can't plug anything, as the air has to go somewhere. It would be nice to vent it outside, but that is not practical with the location of my sump room.

I thought of maybe saving my spent carbon and putting it in the bottom of my milk jug. Not sure if it would absorb the smell or not. In any case, would have to throw it out or wash it regularly, and don't have enough spent carbon to support that anyway.