PDA

View Full Version : Orchid Dottyback Lifespan?

Madreefer
11-26-2011, 04:09 PM
So i've had this dottyback for i think about 8-9 years now. He has turned in to a real PIA in the last 6 months or so. Any new additions he pesters and attacks and the other day resulted in him killing a wrasse. I know all about traps so not looking for tips on that as i've tried and he is to wise for that. I'm also not about to start taking my rockwork apart and busting up my SPS to get him out. Basically just asking those who've owned one of these fish about how long the've kept them alive? I'm hoping he passes on soon.

hillegom
11-26-2011, 04:15 PM
never had a dottyback so can't say.
But I have heard of people fishing with barbless hooks. Kinda extreme, but you might catch him

Myka
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Dottybacks, Tangs, Angels, and Wrasses are all good candidates for barbless hooks.

Madreefer
11-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Well I guess i'm off to find those hooks. Didnt think they came that small.

Myka
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Well I guess i'm off to find those hooks. Didnt think they came that small.

Get hooks made for fly tying. If you can't find barbless, you can just pinch the barbs flat with small needlenose pliers.

Madreefer
11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Dammit! He just looks at the bait but of course every other fish is willing to go at it. Why is it that every fish that you dont want out has to be the dumb ones that gives in!! By the shake of the head I just got from my wife I look like the dumb one.

hillegom
11-27-2011, 12:41 AM
You can file the barb off the hook.
Maybe if you catch all the fish, they will "learn" not to bite it.
On second thought I doubt it.

Madreefer
11-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Man this fishin blows. Been 3-4 hrs and been more work trying to keep the other fish away from the bait. Only had 1 hook, left to grab another beer and I come back and this is what I got
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/photo.jpg
a damned bristle worm that decided to swallow the hook. And yess the hook is really small, thats all worm.

whatcaneyedo
11-28-2011, 02:30 AM
I think George has the local AquaMedic fish trap if you want to give it a shot give him a call.

Myka
11-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Haha, omg that's awful!

Madreefer
11-28-2011, 02:38 AM
I think George has the local AquaMedic fish trap if you want to give it a shot give him a call.

Ya thanks I have a trap. This fish too smart for that. Hey Russel how long ago was it that Norwolfs shut down? I got that fish 2 years before they closed. Thats frickin old.

whatcaneyedo
11-28-2011, 02:43 AM
I think it was about 6 years ago. Remember Karen started the Reef Tank Tour shortly after to help out her home business.

Could you suck it out with a wide diameter syphoning hose? I've accidentally done that to a small fish before.

Madreefer
11-28-2011, 03:48 AM
I dont know if it's my homemade food but all my fish are bigger than they are supposed to be so he wont fit in a tube that I have. This guys a cave dweller so no that wont work either. I'll just hope that one day he'll disappear. You never know, I might spend next saturday night with Captain Morgan and some more fishing hooks.

Myka
11-28-2011, 03:56 AM
I siphoned an adult male clownfish through a 1/2" siphon hose a week ago. That wasn't on purpose though...can't believe he didn't get stuck in there.

Madreefer
11-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Well just added 2 more inmates to my tank and he hasn't attacked at all. Just checked them out. The last ones he killed was as soon as he seen them.