PDA

View Full Version : Replacing burnt out Leds ?

Acipenser
11-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I have a burnt out Led moon light in my AquaticLife 24" light, there are two 1 watt Led's, 1st thing I would prefer to find the proper light as then it would be plug and play. If not then I was thinking about replacing the two 1 watt Led's with this strip light (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hm-ledsb20/Hamilton+Blue+LED+Lighting+Strip+%2820+Inch%29.htm l). I just not sure that the fixture would be able to turn it on or if it would over load the Aquatic life light ? Any other options ?

The Grizz
11-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Modular LED has a moon light kit that would be fairly inexpensive if you were able to modify your fixture. Just an option.

monocus
11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
i picked up a moon controler moonlighting system off ebay for 60 someodd dollars.nice little low profile system which is expandable up to 10 lights.i light will light up a 50 gallon,but the best thing it has manual dimming or you can use the moon phase

mike31154
11-26-2011, 11:16 PM
There's a video on the Aquaticlife web page showing how to replace the LEDs on your type of fixture.

http://www.aquaticlife.com/products/286#

Pops out quite easily and it appears you simply discard the whole plastic LED assembly & plug in a new one. Can probably get a replacement from them. But before doing that, why not remove the broken LED assembly & see if it's possible to unsolder the dead one and replace it with an equivalent 1 watt replacement? They're quite inexpensive these days. I imagine the Aquaticlife assembly will cost a few dollars more than just a discrete LED & might take some time to get.

If there was more info on the power supply in the fixture that runs the LEDs, you might even be able to upgrade to a 2 or 3 watt LED. Just need to make sure that the LED driver in the fixture can handle the higher power LED. Might also need some added cooling though. Same goes for adding strip light you linked to in your post. You need to verify the power output & voltage of the LED driver in your fixture to see if it will work. Looks like the one you're looking at has it's own small power supply, probably 12 volt DC. Since you only have two LEDs in your fixture now, the driver is probably more like 3 or 6 volts.

mike31154
11-26-2011, 11:23 PM
crap, sorry double post

gregzz4
11-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Put either the original in or find a replacement as suggested. Don't know what's out your way but in Vancouver @ 1st & Boundary is Active Electronics. Great selection. Not a true retail store so you have to find the bulb on the shelf yourself. Don't bother with the website for snoopin', it's horrible.

If you were to hook up that strip, you would most likely fry the LED circuit in your light. It was probably built to just barely run the 2 1w bulbs you have.

Maverick00
11-27-2011, 12:34 AM
if you just want a replacement, try calling aquaticlife and say you have a defective one. Apparently some units shipped out with 'duds' in the last couple years. I had to replace all 4 modules on my 36" fixture. They just wanted the serial number on the fixture and they sent 4 new modules free of charge. Amazing customer service. (actually come to think about it I think i just emailed them)