PDA

View Full Version : Houston Smithers & Bulkley Valley

Dr_Hicks
11-26-2011, 03:30 AM
Hello fellow reefers, I'm new to the area and thought I would start a thread for anyone in the area to communicate.

Please say a quick or long hello, I would love to hear from you.

telkwa girl
11-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Hi I'm in Telkwa.

Dr_Hicks
11-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi I'm in Telkwa.

YAY a Townie !

I am so glad you posted here, what kind of tank have you right now, or are you just reading the forum?

Where do you get supplies from, live stock, do you know of any other reefers around the area; would there be enough of us to have our own group meetings once a month or so.......

I am so happy you posted!

telkwa girl
11-27-2011, 02:40 AM
I have a 33 gallon saltwater tank and a 77 gallon freshwater tank. My saltwater tank is pretty basic since there is no where local to purchase anything to do with salt. I usually order from J&L Aquatics in Burnaby. I have also bought coral from Whatcaneyedo in Prince George. Don't know anyone else in the Bulkley Valley that has a saltwater tank, so it's nice meeting you. What kind of set up do you have?

Dr_Hicks
11-27-2011, 03:40 AM
I have a 14G right now, however I have something in the works for the Bulkley Valley ;-) My small 14 is in my office is basically entertainment for my nephew; I have some bigger tanks planned for fragging on a retail scale soon.

Do you have items air shipped from J&L to Smithers?
I ask because I would like to know if Smithers gets air freight daily.

Like you I am only aware of the two of us in the area now, however if there is something available retail shop wise, I think more people might be interested in getting into it.

fishytime
11-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Ok..... I don't want to come off sounding like you guys are not welcome here, cuz you are.... But I can't be the only one curious about why you all are on a Canadian based reef site???:noidea:..... It's not like there is a shortage of American based reef sites:mrgreen:

Steve-O-
11-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Ok..... I don't want to come off sounding like you guys are not welcome here, cuz you are.... But I can't be the only one curious about why you all are on a Canadian based reef site???:noidea:..... It's not like there is a shortage of American based reef sites:mrgreen:

What are you smoking crack? The live in British Columbia so why would they go on a american site. There 2-3hrs away from me. Hense the reason they posted in the BC interior section

beginnersluckpg
11-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Wow Smithers is in BC buds...... I'll leave it that so is Houston

beginnersluckpg
11-27-2011, 05:16 AM
What are you smoking crack? The live in British Columbia so why would they go on a american site. There 2-3hrs away from me. Hense the reason they posted in the BC interior section

Thought the exact same thing lol

fishytime
11-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Ok..... So I fixated on the Houston part...... Didn't know there was a Houston in BC ......or a Buckley valley for that matter:redface:

Steve-O-
11-27-2011, 05:21 AM
yup there is.

fishytime
11-27-2011, 05:23 AM
I'll shut up now..... Carry on:biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
11-27-2011, 05:30 AM
lol I grew up in Houston, BC (not Texas)! From the age of 3 to 13 anyways. But sorry I don't know of any reefers there. I used to know of some in Burns Lake and Smithers but thats about it.

mike31154
11-27-2011, 05:00 PM
There's a Vulcan in Saskatchewan (correction, Alberta :redface:) . Wonder what forum they go on?

reefbyremote
11-27-2011, 05:09 PM
FYI Vulcan is in Alberta... just southeast of the centre of the universe.

mike31154
11-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Damn, I guess fishytime isn't the only one who needs a geography lesson! Shame on me.

Dr_Hicks
11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
You guys are funny haha ;-)

Sorry about the Houston part, I should have been more forward with the title of the topic lol

Madreefer
11-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Anything north of Hope really does'nt seem to matter anyways. Nothin but igloos and trees beyond that.

Dr_Hicks
11-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Anything north of Hope really does'nt seem to matter anyways. Nothin but igloos and trees beyond that.

Took the words out of my own mouth :lol:

telkwa girl
11-27-2011, 07:04 PM
I AM CANADIAN! And it's Bulkley not Buckley!
Anyways, yes, I get my livestock shipped up on the plane to Smithers. I have also had it shipped up on Greyhound, but I prefer the airport as the greyhound office is usually closed by the time I get off work.

Dr_Hicks
11-27-2011, 07:11 PM
I AM CANADIAN! And it's Bulkley not Buckley!
Anyways, yes, I get my livestock shipped up on the plane to Smithers. I have also had it shipped up on Greyhound, but I prefer the airport as the greyhound office is usually closed by the time I get off work.

Awesome, the freight charges pretty reasonable you think?

telkwa girl
11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Usually cost me around $60 for shipping, except once when I ordered over $200 worth of livestock then the shipping went down to $40 if I remember correctly. So if you ever want to get together to place an order let me know.

beginnersluckpg
11-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Fair amount of people on here from prince George that I'm sure you could piggy back an order or two.

mike31154
11-28-2011, 06:46 AM
I'll be heading up Prince George way end of Feb 2012 on the way to a backcountry ski trip to Dezaiko Lodge. Be willing to bring some stuff up there for youse, but coming from Vernon, there's not a lot to be had deal wise from here. A couple buckets of salt would probably be doable, if you can hold on/remember the offer 'til then. I could actually get a ski buddy from Victoria to maybe bring them from the big city on the way through.

telkwa girl
12-02-2011, 01:24 AM
Pet store in Smithers getting into saltwater. Only $6 for an astrea snail!

Dr_Hicks
12-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Pet store in Smithers getting into saltwater. Only $6 for an astrea snail!

YIKES!

I hope it comes with garlic butter, toast and a class of 1974 champagne, everyone likes to get dinner first before getting phucked lol

I will be there tomorrow, I am gonna have a poke around :wink:

telkwa girl
12-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Told my mom to pick me up some snails at Petland in Terrace awhile back, she got me 3 turbo snails for $30. Almost had a heart attack when she told me what she paid. Worst thing was that they were in the tank my friends manage to kill off this summer when they were looking after my fish.