PDA

View Full Version : Flag fin angel in a reef?

doch
11-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow am I not smart. I went to the lfs that I always said I'd never buy livestock from, and there it was... A gold flake angel! Mislabeled... Or so I thought, as a flag fin angel. $90!? I'm in! Looked into it a little further... Crap! It's a flag fin.

Anybody have any experience with these guys? Specifically in a reef with sps and clams? Are they a hit and miss reef safe angel, or should I put it directly in the sump until I can find it a home?

PS Anybody looking for a really nice flagfin angel? 3-4" looks very healthy! Will trade for a gold flake... Hahaha! Will deliver to edmonton, ote anywhere in between fort mac and edmonton.

George
11-25-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't have first hand knowledge of flagfin. But I am into angelfish in general and read a lot about all kinds of angelfish. From what I gather, flagfin is more on the hit side (destroying your sps and clams). I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

doch
11-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, the angel is now in my water change tank. I can't believe that I did this... I'm usually so prepared and picky. Serves me right though.... I figured that since this particular LFS has such a huge mark up that has burnt me several times that I'd get something back out of them. Not so much... although I do have a pretty sweet looking fish in my way too small for the fish water change tank. I want to put him in the frag tank, but there isn't much in the way of hiding spots in there for him. We'll see.

Seriously... anybody in Alberta looking for a flag fin angel?

Also, and better yet... anybody have good experiences with them in a reef?

fishoholic
11-26-2011, 02:31 PM
IME (I had six large angels in a reef) angels mostly nips sps then zoas. Usually they leave lps alone.

mark
11-26-2011, 03:40 PM
So you buy a unsuitable fish since you figure you were overcharged in the past? Karma might get you when the fish starves as see frequent comment on the Flag Fin is "It is one of the more difficult angelfish to adapt to prepared foods".

doch
11-26-2011, 05:26 PM
As said in the OP... I thought it was a Gold Flake which are suitable, and adapt well. This is why I say "Stupid Karma". I thought I was getting under charged for a really nice fish, and it turns out that I paid the right amount for a fish that will likely not do well in my tank, and as you have stated, may wither and die. I am well aware of the big mistake that I've made, now I need to find the best way to handle the mistake.

Nano
11-26-2011, 06:33 PM
damn karma is a B^*&@ lol. that sucks man sorry to hear about that! we all have bad luck sometimes look at me! I never run out of it!

mark
11-26-2011, 07:17 PM
can you return it?

doch
11-28-2011, 03:22 AM
Hmmm... never even thought of that. I'd guess no.

I tried putting it in my water change tank with a few hiding places, but he wasn't eating so I bit the bullet and put him in the display. He's started to eat a little. Not a very aggressive eater, but he kept a little bit down. So far so good... he hasn't nipped at any corals or clams, and him and the majestic hang out together, with no aggression at all.

Fingers crossed!!

doch
11-29-2011, 02:10 AM
The good luck continues!! He's eating a lot today!! Wahooo!! Still no sign of him nipping... hopefully the luck continues.

thanhjenn
11-29-2011, 02:22 AM
keep an eye on your polyp extensions.

Wayne
11-29-2011, 02:59 AM
No experience with them just wishing you the best of luck :biggrin:

doch
11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
My new plan of attack is to leave an algae sheet in there through the day. I put one in there last night and he was within 3"of it picking at it for hours... Should be a nice distraction technique.

doch
12-20-2011, 06:40 PM
A little update for anybody interested... This fish is awesome!! He eats like a pig! It doesn't matter what I put in there (any kind of pellets, algea sheets, spirulina wafers, or anything frozen), he's all over it. Of all of the hours that I've watched the tank I've seen him nip at a mille once, and a clam once. None of the corals or clams have had any bad reactions, so I'll assume that if he does it more than the couple of times that I've seen, that it's not enough to bother anything. Here's hoping that he stays the same way! So far, I'm glad that I bought him... and didn't sell him.