PDA

View Full Version : my cat broke my sump...

Nano
11-25-2011, 02:56 AM
So my sump is cracked cause of my EFFING CAT! Luckily I have a cheap powerfilter on hang for over night, now I cant affor a new sump, and my 20 gallon I think sump was a bit too much, so here are my Ideas
Fluval C series HOB
Aquaclear Hob(I have one they are good but can get loud)
Marineland Emperor(same I have one can get loud.)
The only one I haven't tried is the Fluval, any other suggestions? I'd like to keep my costs in mind as always

Ryan_Lap
11-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Make a new sump. Can be done for under $30 I imagine.

How did your cat break a sump? Was it made out of tissue paper?

Nano
11-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Make a new sump. Can be done for under $30 I imagine.

How did your cat break a sump? Was it made out of tissue paper?

no lol that would make sense.. She tried to jump through the underside of my tank and hit my overflow hard, it hit the glass and the glass cracked. I wont be doing another sump. And for the record I now dislike my cat.

sphelps
11-25-2011, 03:10 AM
If that's the worst my cats ever did I'd be a happy man.

Nano
11-25-2011, 03:17 AM
If that's the worst my cats ever did I'd be a happy man.

lol you have bad cats too I take it.

Nano
11-25-2011, 03:24 AM
lol I was Glad I was home when this happened other wise who knows the mess I couldve came home too

Beverly
11-25-2011, 03:28 AM
I've always liked AquaClear HOBs. In my experience, they don't get loud at all. Maybe that's because I break it down completely and clean it weekly (especially the impeller) when I do a water change.

Madreefer
11-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Yer steppin down a notch dude

Ryan_Lap
11-25-2011, 03:38 AM
bet you could sell a cat for $30 and get a new sump

Nano
11-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Yer steppin down a notch dude

Well thats true I know, but I'd rather be safe. I dont want to come home to a bunch of dead fish and coral you know? Maybe in the future when I move to a bigger tank I will redo a new sump with a better over flow system. Again guys I know sump sump sump.. I dont want to risk it, I have a aquaclear 110 on now but the flow is mad fast. so I need something smaller lol

Nano
11-25-2011, 03:40 AM
bet you could sell a cat for $30 and get a new sump

anyways onto the filters. the cat cant be sold I took it when my sister passed.

Funky_Fish14
11-25-2011, 04:22 AM
I've always liked AquaClear HOBs. In my experience, they don't get loud at all. Maybe that's because I break it down completely and clean it weekly (especially the impeller) when I do a water change.

I agree with Bev here... but also, you can neglect the heck out of an aquaclear... and in my 'years' of fishkeeping (I've had aquaclears at all times for 16 years... infact since just yesterday is the first time I havent owned one in 16 years), i've never had one get loud unless it had chunks of sand in the impeller, or was running dry.

They are pretty bulletproof, and incredibly easy to clean, and you can stuff just about any media you want in them. Thats why I like them.

Nano
11-25-2011, 04:27 AM
thanks for sticking too the topic haha, much appreciated. I have a 110 on my cichlid tank, and am currently running an old 70 on my reef, until I get a new one tomorrow, the problem with this 70 is the media area has a small crack and drips so I need to replace it haha, I thought of maybe doing another aquaclear, but am very curious about the fluval c series I've heard some good things about the 5 stage filtration. just not sure ahaha

Funky_Fish14
11-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Sorry... I didnt even realize the post was off-topic and about cats... Sorry to hear about the way you came to have the cat.

Ahh bummer that the aquaclear leaks!

And... well, here is my opinion on fluval...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Funky_Fish14/CeilingCat.png

LOL. Anyways, fluval G-series cannister filters were a flunk IMO (and in my other's opinions)... the proprietary filter cartrige replacement needs are a pain in the butt, also fluvals tend to clog with gunk fairly easily (I have done maintenance on a lot of tanks with fluvals). Aquclear is so easy to clean and you can put any media you want in it... and they rip waterflow really well. Just my opinion... but I think you will have an easier time (and easier effect on your wallet) dealing with aquclear than fluval. (Fluval has made 1 great product... the FX5... lots of other big-time products have been a fail).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Chris

PS. Your sump may be repairable... i've built some tanks... maybe I can help you fix it? PM Me a pic... I live not to far away from wetaskiwin.

blacknife
11-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Rubbermaid container time?

I tried to buy a rena xp4 at golds years ago and he would not let me waste my money on it and kept me on the one true filter. I agree on the bulletproofness and reusable foam

Funky_Fish14
11-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Haha Dennis is the man (and his guys there with him). Those guys know their stuff and aquaclears one every tank. Some of the ones in that store are 15-20 years old. I saw one a few weeks ago that was so old... it was yellow/brown in body/resin colour... maybe faded, or just that old. It was clearly labelled aquaclear... the thing was running like a champ on a goldfish tank.

(Dennis being the owner of Gold's in calgary)

jtbadco
11-25-2011, 05:13 AM
I have two Aquaclear 70's and a Fluval 404 running on my 33 gal reef. They are both crammed with biomax and LR rubble.

Never had a problem. A little harder to hide the heater, skimmer and filter intakes but with some creativity it can be done. Keep the impeller and impeller shaft in good shape and they are whisper quiet. 9 tanks, 9 Fluvals, 13 Aquaclears, 1 bedroom apartment. You do the math.:wink:

A sump offers you more options ie deep sand bed, refugiums, hiding gear, etc but IME they are not an absolute necessity. A sump is basically just a larger capacity, open-topped canister filter anyways.

And to qualify, my experience is only the 1 tank I started 6 mnths ago, but, knock on wood, everything has been going really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82rPEl0_mzo

I also have no experience with larger tanks. The dynamics might be very different.

Nano
11-25-2011, 05:46 AM
thanks guys, I thinkI'll stick with aquaclears mine are all great too, my 110 just needed a new impeller, and my 70 is about 8 years old and go cracked on our move, i figured i'd keep it for spare parts or emergencies like this one. thanks again you think an aquaclear 70 is too much for my nano? i thought of a 110 but even on the lowest setting thats a ton of flow

lastlight
11-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Some of the ones in that store are 15-20 years old.

Yeah I'm sure there's none of these new fandangled 110s running there. 500s all the way! I can't even call them 110s it just ain't right.

jtbadco
11-25-2011, 05:58 AM
i think the AC 70 would be fine,......my tank is 48x12x12 and the flow is perfect

Nano
11-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Yeah I'm sure there's none of these new fandangled 110s running there. 500s all the way! I can't even call them 110s it just ain't right.

lol I have the 500(110) a new one for extra bio filtration on my 100 gallon cichlid tank I love them, but its a pain to clean all my filters all the time!! haha but I guess thats part of the joy!

Funky_Fish14
11-25-2011, 07:36 AM

Lol I agree Brett... I hate the new names. They've been out for a few years like that and I always confuse new people when Im chatting about them lol.

lol I have the 500(110) a new one for extra bio filtration on my 100 gallon cichlid tank I love them, but its a pain to clean all my filters all the time!! haha but I guess thats part of the joy!

Haha pretty much. Cichlids poop... you probably have lots of them. Its the way it is lol.

Myka
11-25-2011, 03:28 PM
lol you have bad cats too I take it.

Steve has a Devon Rex...trouble makers!

If you cut off half the fins on the impeller for the AC110 it will slow the flow down so it would work better on a small tank.

Nano
11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Steve has a Devon Rex...trouble makers!

If you cut off half the fins on the impeller for the AC110 it will slow the flow down so it would work better on a small tank.

Haha yeah I tried that its really tough to balance.

Brandon5555
11-25-2011, 04:09 PM
How big is the display tank?

Nano
11-25-2011, 04:19 PM
How big is the display tank?

20 gallons

Beverly
11-25-2011, 04:51 PM

AC 110s really move water. In your experience, what sized tank would this impeller modification work on? Is a 10 too small?

TIA :)

Brandon5555
11-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Hmmm, fluval 105/205? Im running a 205 on my 29 and couldnt be happier. Its honestly the best filter Ive ever run. When I chum the water I cut flow on the fluval and let the circulation pump be the cobra commander for an hour or so. Then I throw the flow back on full. I just love the features on them. People say they feel cheap but I like them. Maybe look into the new marine land canisters. They supposedly have the highest flow of canisters in their class

Nano
11-25-2011, 04:56 PM
AC 110s really move water. In your experience, what sized tank would this impeller modification work on? Is a 10 too small?

I am afraid to wreck another impeller this way. Lol and yes, they move a ton of water, what is it, 500gph?

Brandon5555
11-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Something in that range yeah. The price tag isnt too horrifying on them either. I think they're worth a second look. Honestly with my fluval 205, I took out one of the activated carbon bags and replaced it with with a bag of chemi-pure. The next morning my jaw dropped at the results. Of course at that time I was running a cascade 600 (internal canister). So any filter is probably a jaw dropper. All I can say is from personal experience is the -05 series are real champs.

Nano
11-25-2011, 06:13 PM
So i found an aquaticlife mini 115 skimmer, that would fit in an aquaclear 70 witb room to spare. What do you think?

Blom
11-25-2011, 06:18 PM
So i found an aquaticlife mini 115 skimmer, that would fit in an aquaclear 70 witb room to spare. What do you think?

Hagen AquaClear 70 Power Filter
8.5" Long X 8" Tall X 6" Deep

AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115
10.5Hx3Wx3L in

Nano
11-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Hagen AquaClear 70 Power Filter
8.5" Long X 8" Tall X 6" Deep

AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115
10.5Hx3Wx3L in

Does it Ned to be fully submerged? Lol I know I'm a noob.

Blom
11-25-2011, 06:28 PM
The owners manual... which can be found online for most things... http://c1.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/AK01114_1.pdf
states that the water lvl should be just below the top of the housing. Based on the dimensions on the Marine Depot site the height is 10.5 inches which I will assume to be the height with the collection cup on. The collection cup is 2x2x3, it doesn't specify what dimension is what, so again ill assume its a 2x2 square with 3 inch height. That all said:

10.5 - 3 = 7.5 inch

So if that is all correct then you wouldn't be able to submerge the skimmer to factory spec. Will the 1.5 inch matter... I dont know.

Nano
11-25-2011, 06:43 PM
The owners manual... which can be found online for most things... http://c1.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/AK01114_1.pdf
states that the water lvl should be just below the top of the housing. Based on the dimensions on the Marine Depot site the height is 10.5 inches which I will assume to be the height with the collection cup on. The collection cup is 2x2x3, it doesn't specify what dimension is what, so again ill assume its a 2x2 square with 3 inch height. That all said:

10.5 - 3 = 7.5 inch

So if that is all correct then you wouldn't be able to submerge the skimmer to factory spec. Will the 1.5 inch matter... I dont know.

Ahhh right as always king Friday. Lol. Well ill just do the filter for the time being. Maybe one day I'll either do a hob skimmer or a bigger tank lol

globaldesigns
11-25-2011, 08:23 PM
TIME TO KILL THE CAT!

Brightwhite
11-25-2011, 08:31 PM
TIME TO KILL THE CAT!

You might wanna read back a couple pages...

Nano
11-25-2011, 08:45 PM
You might wanna read back a couple pages...

Thanks man Haha. Some people.

globaldesigns
11-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks man Haha. Some people.

Hey, no offense intended, and I am very sorry for the loss. But if an animal causes damage, and there is possibilities for great damage because of water, then I would not have that animal. And I did not read every thread entry, so my fault for that.

Again, nothing mean intended here. I am not new here, and people can testify to my intentions.

Again very sorry.

globaldesigns
11-25-2011, 08:55 PM
And before anyone comments on my entries or bashes me, please know that I have lost close family members, including my mother, who I held while she died in my arms... So I can relate to the thread author.

Again I can understand why you keep the animal, but I do have a different view on things.

I hope you get things worked out with the tank.

MarkoD
11-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Didn't read whole thread. Sorry

Nano
11-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks

Nano
11-25-2011, 09:07 PM
In some places in eastern Europe cats are pests and people hate them. So to get rid of them, they put them in a patato sack with some rocks and throw them in the river. True story.

Apparently you didn't read the thread either. Can people **** off about the cat please? Yeah they are stupid animals but its all I have left of my sister aside from memory. Thanks to those of you who are taking the time to read and actually help. And to you who are just being ignorant discontinue reading this thread please. Thanks.

MarkoD
11-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Random fact of the day

globaldesigns
11-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Apparently you didn't read the thread either. Can people **** off about the cat please? Yeah they are stupid animals but its all I have left of my sister aside from memory. Thanks to those of you who are taking the time to read and actually help. And to you who are just being ignorant discontinue reading this thread please. Thanks.

All I will say is WOW!

Please remember, we all scan, and sometimes we may miss a critical piece of something, as in the case with me... Take a chill pill!

MarkoD
11-25-2011, 09:12 PM
First post said "effing cat" I thought we were hatin on cats :(

Nano
11-25-2011, 09:18 PM
First post said "effing cat" I thought we were hatin on cats :(

And you failed to read the entire message. Yeah I'm ticked she broke the sump. That doesn't mean I'm going to throw her in the river people. Anyways as said there no real point in continuing this thread at this point.

Aquattro
11-25-2011, 10:20 PM
You have a poor attitude when it comes to anyone not doing what you say in your thread. Get over it. Get rid of the cat. Yes, I read the previous posts.

You post a thread here about an effing cat breaking your sump, you're going to get comments that are of topic. Take it in stride.

Nano
11-25-2011, 10:43 PM
You have a poor attitude when it comes to anyone not doing what you say in your thread. Get over it. Get rid of the cat. Yes, I read the previous posts.

You post a thread here about an effing cat breaking your sump, you're going to get comments that are of topic. Take it in stride.

No I realize that but the fact that I explained the cats story, and people still say that, including yourself, I find a bit hurtful. Yeah cats are idiots, but I'm not going to get rid of her, and I don't mean to seem like I have a poor attitude, I again as said just felt a little bit razzled about the whole drowning my sisters cat thing. I don't think that inexcusable sorry if you do.

Aquattro
11-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Did someone suggest drowning? That's mean. :)

I'm not gonna suggest alternate ways to dispose of cats, I could go on all day.
but here's the thing. This isn't the first time you've gone off because your thread got a little sidetracked. Sorry guy, it happens. If you think you have a valid complaint, PM myself or another staff member, and we'll look into and adjust as required.
Using the words **** off isn't going to get you big results here. So unless the thread goes way wrong, just brush it off. You've got 8000 members here with 8000 different opinions and senses of humor (or lack thereof..)
This stuff happens on forums, especially when Stircrazy posts, so ignore it and carry on, or complain to the staff because we love posting warning messages. Thanks :biggrin:

Nano
11-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Did someone suggest drowning? That's mean. :)

I'm not gonna suggest alternate ways to dispose of cats, I could go on all day.
but here's the thing. This isn't the first time you've gone off because your thread got a little sidetracked. Sorry guy, it happens. If you think you have a valid complaint, PM myself or another staff member, and we'll look into and adjust as required.
Using the words **** off isn't going to get you big results here. So unless the thread goes way wrong, just brush it off. You've got 8000 members here with 8000 different opinions and senses of humor (or lack thereof..)
This stuff happens on forums, especially when Stircrazy posts, so ignore it and carry on, or complain to the staff because we love posting warning messages. Thanks :biggrin:

Again brad I'm sorry, I'm new to this and have had a lot of beginner problems, and I just took some of those comments to heart. Again its my dead SIS's cat. I hate it but I love it you know? Anyways I am not trying to cause any problems on here in fact its quite the opposite. I'll watch what I say.

globaldesigns
11-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Again brad I'm sorry, I'm new to this and have had a lot of beginner problems, and I just took some of those comments to heart. Again its my dead SIS's cat. I hate it but I love it you know? Anyways I am not trying to cause any problems on here in fact its quite the opposite. I'll watch what I say.

You know what Nanomano... Don't sweat it! I am not upset, and just realize my comment was not meant to harm. Again sorry... It is just too easy on these forums to be taken the wrong way, or to be too aggressive when hiding behind a computer. Not saying your are, but I do know others.

Otherwise, I hope no hard feelings here?

Nano
11-25-2011, 11:25 PM
You know what Nanomano... Don't sweat it! I am not upset, and just realize my comment was not meant to harm. Again sorry... It is just too easy on these forums to be taken the wrong way, or to be too aggressive when hiding behind a computer. Not saying your are, but I do know others.

Otherwise, I hope no hard feelings here?

Thanks and im sorry too lol. No hard feelongs it happens

Madreefer
11-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Just about 300 posts in 2 weeks. That must be a record.

Nano
11-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Just about 300 posts in 2 weeks. That must be a record.

Lol. Yeah? I have lots of questions I guess Haha. Just want to soak up as much as i can you know?

Hustler
11-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Lol. Yeah? I have lots of questions I guess Haha. Just want to soak up as much as i can you know?
This is my first salt tank too... and all i can say is YOUTUBE channels....
my wife watched me watching saltwater videos for a good 3 weeks before i took the plunge... see them built, tore down, maintained, livestock ect ect almost first hand and it saves a ton TON of ?s not that any are dumb.... better to ask then kill something or worse LOL
but there are a few guys that post almost daily and run maintnence stores in the US that have tons of great free advice.... all it takes is your time :)
Good luck mate

Beverly
11-26-2011, 01:36 AM
YouTube is a great place to learn about almost anything. I've watched tons of reef videos over the past several weeks and I've learned so much. Their search feature can't be beat for finding what you're looking for :)

Myka
11-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Haha yeah I tried that its really tough to balance.

Although that is a definite concern, I didn't have those troubles because I used a small Dremel wheel to sand each removed fan blade down real smooth and accurately.

Hmm...I have used the AC110 as a pod refuge with the impeller mod, never put it on a small tank. I think 10 gallons might be a bit small...probably be just right for a 20.

Nano
11-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Haha yeah I do YouTube, I have a channel with my freshwater tank and some nutrition tips and stuff. I have recently started my reef log as well

gregzz4
11-26-2011, 02:00 AM
300 !!! :wink:

Nano
11-26-2011, 02:11 AM
300 !!! :wink:

Lol 301! Jk yayaya. I know