PDA

View Full Version : can i make fish food from grocery items?

tkhawaja
02-15-2004, 04:42 PM
So as a valentine's day present I got a few of the fish my wife has been wanting me to get since I started the tank. And, I kept on telling her it wasn't ready yet. Till I turned on the lights and voila. . ...

J&L did an excellent job shipping the fish, as usual. I was only going to get one of their reef custodian specials on sale but I said what the heck take advantage of the shipping and get a few fish.

BUT, they forgot to include the fish food I requested in email and on the phone. So, now they won't be able to ship it until Monday and who knows when it gets here. Meanshile all I have pre-bought is some Nori. So, I'm looking for suggestions. I've got clowns, grammas, and chromis.

What can I make at home for my fish until the real fish food arrives :question: Ingredients to be gotten from the local IGA or Superstore / Extra Foods.

Bob I
02-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Things that come out of the ocean will do fine. Chop it up in the blender then freeze it, and shave some off to feed the fish. :mrgreen:

And if you have Fenner's book,"The Conscientous Marine Aquarist", there is even a recipe in there. :biggrin:

Chad
02-15-2004, 05:01 PM
just get some uncooked shrimp... blend it or chop it into small pieces. My fish love it...

TNTCanada
02-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm not an expert but you could buy some shrimp, clams, squid, Nori,salmon, herring, egg any of these will work put in a blender with some garlic it sould be plenty. Put it on a small tray and put it in the freezer after it's frozen scrape it off and put it in a zip lock. Or just put it in the zip lock lay it down in the freezer and flatten it out. Break off what you need let it thaw and put it in. If you use herring don't use to much it is very oily and stinky and I was told only to use the egg white.
This is just my thoughts see what other people have to say.
Cheers

Gujustud
02-15-2004, 05:56 PM
And if you have Fenner's book,"The Conscientous Marine Aquarist", there is even a recipe in there. :biggrin:

things he mentions, are peeled shrimp, mollusk (clams, mussels, oysters), fresh/frozen sea weed (canned spinach), and gelatin

tkhawaja
02-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I also found a few recipies online. Hopefully the new inhabitants can survive until the real fish food comes along.

EmilyB
02-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Hopefully the new inhabitants can survive until the real fish food comes along.

Actually, homemade food is "real" fish food.... :mrgreen:

tkhawaja
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
You got me there. i concocted up some shrimp, nori, and garlic in the blender. Added some water to thin it out a bit. Put about half a tea spoon of this stuff in the tank and the fish went crazy. Either they were really hungry, liked the taste, or both. This should keep them happy for the next few days until the flake food and various food additives arrive. Thanks for the help, to all.

Bob I
02-15-2004, 11:02 PM
I alternate a frozen homemade concoction with Mysis every other day. In the evenings I feed OSI Marine flake food. That is to make sure they get some variety. The fish seem to think it is OK. They have never come out and asked for something different. :rolleyes: :eek: :mrgreen: