PDA

View Full Version : How to remove mushrooms growing on my rocks ?

Casey8
11-24-2011, 04:53 AM
I have a huge problem battling with blue and red mushrooms spreading on rocks. They have been multiplying too fast and sting my sps corals. I tried to remove some but I couldn't get their feet off from the rock. They attached themselves like glue, the only way I could do it is by tearing their feet/stomach with my fingers and that made my tank water stinky lasting for a few days. I don't want my water contaminated by killing them like that. Is there any method to remove them safely and to save them too ? At least I can give them away to someone who would love to have them.

dpg
11-24-2011, 05:02 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2045226

Mandosh
11-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Cut the head off the stalk as close as you can to the foot and it will heal. Unfortunately the stalk just grows a new head. If you cover the stalk in kalk paste after you remove the head it should do the trick.

PoonTang
11-24-2011, 05:20 AM
You can inject them with kalk or vinegar. Both work. Do a few every day until their gone. I used to kill as many a day as I could using a 5 cc syringe filled once.

Casey8
11-24-2011, 05:29 AM
I think there is no choice but I have to kill them :sad: They are so beautifull, what a waste.

daniella3d
11-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Why not cut them off and then sell them and then kill the remaining of the foot? Why kill something that nice if you can sell them to someone else? Especially the blue ones are very nice.

I think there is no choice but I have to kill them :sad: They are so beautifull, what a waste.

gobytron
11-24-2011, 01:59 PM
These are prolific.
You really have to watch placement and light levels like GSP.
Beautiful for sure and an easy sell.
If you sell the rock, you should be able to buy some nice new fresh rock for what you get...

I have never had much luck ingetting rid of these once established and nothing seems to be able to win when it comes to chemical warfare.

I tried kalk, didnt work.
tried scrubbing, didnt work.

I wound up killing them through light deprivation.
In retrospect, I should have just sold the rock.

mseepman
11-24-2011, 03:11 PM
I am dealing with this in a similar fashion...but with red mushrooms. They are a plague.I have so many...I don't even know where to start now.

Casey8
11-24-2011, 04:11 PM
These are prolific.
You really have to watch placement and light levels like GSP.
Beautiful for sure and an easy sell.
If you sell the rock, you should be able to buy some nice new fresh rock for what you get...

I have never had much luck ingetting rid of these once established and nothing seems to be able to win when it comes to chemical warfare.

I tried kalk, didnt work.
tried scrubbing, didnt work.

I wound up killing them through light deprivation.
In retrospect, I should have just sold the rock.

How come I never thought of just selling or trading the rock. That's a brilliant idea, gobytron. I have to reconstruct my rockwork to remove that rock, a little pain to do that but I can save at least 30 of the blue mushrooms. For the red ones, I think nobody wants them. I may have a hard time to trade another rock with someone.
Thanks for your input everyone.

Casey8
11-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I've got a few emails regarding the trade, but they are spoken for.
I still have some blue mushrooms on the rocks, I might be able to remove some more later on, but I am OK with the rest for now.
Thanks everyone who were interested, I will let you know when I remove them again.

Reverend
11-24-2011, 07:17 PM
give em to me! i'll take em off your hand free of charge :twised:

vanreefer
11-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Lime juice (Lowest Ph of citrus fruits) injected directly into them... worked for me... only do a few at a time tho...I killed a bunch and my SPS were slimmng something crazy!!