PDA

View Full Version : Silicone

Lonster
11-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone. I'm going to be installing some baffle in an old tank to make a sump and I'm wondering what silicone to use. I've looked around online and the consensus seems to be GE silicone 1 without the mildew resistant stuff. I went to Rona and found it, it says 100% silicone but not to be used below the waterline or in aquariums on the back. What do you guys use? Is this just the company being extra careful or have they added something in the last while to it that makes it unsafe for aquariums?

Nano
11-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I have heard that as long as its not mildew resistant, its fine! but I have heard lots of things lol. you can also buy aquarium specific silicone at LFS but its more expensive, however sometimes you have to go with the cautious approach

ScubaSteve
11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm trying to recall but I think it's GE II that we use. I got tons of it when I built my tank in September. It will be for windows and doors. I think GEII is stronger than GE I on glass. As long as it's not mildew resistance you should be OK.

Reefer Rob
11-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey everyone. I'm going to be installing some baffle in an old tank to make a sump and I'm wondering what silicone to use. I've looked around online and the consensus seems to be GE silicone 1 without the mildew resistant stuff. I went to Rona and found it, it says 100% silicone but not to be used below the waterline or in aquariums on the back. What do you guys use? Is this just the company being extra careful or have they added something in the last while to it that makes it unsafe for aquariums?

I did the same as you, all the silicones at Rona say not for aquarium use. Decided to go with the All Glass from J&L. Worth the extra $ for piece of mind. BTW it cures way slower than silicone I.

toxic111
11-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Home Hardware is where I found mine. It does say in the fine print for aquarium use.

Nano
11-23-2011, 08:54 PM
I did the same as you, all the silicones at Rona say not for aquarium use. Decided to go with the All Glass from J&L. Worth the extra $ for piece of mind. BTW it cures way slower than silicone I.

+1 when I turned my aquaclear 110 into a refugium/mini sump, I let it cure for 10 days, and the ran it for a day on a tub of water to rinse out anything that may be in it

Ross
11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
GE silicone 1 for the win

Aquattro
11-23-2011, 09:06 PM
I use GE I or II, depending on what's at the store. Make sure there's no mildew resistance, you're good.

lastlight
11-23-2011, 09:11 PM
I used GE I (no mildew resistance) to reseal my sump. I'm seeing NEON (literally) yellow and pink growth only where there is silicone. While I see a tiny bit of the pink in my display (not GE) it's abundance in the sump has me wondering if it's silicone related.

Anyone ever see/hear of this?

Lonster
11-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll go with the silicone 1

BlueWorldAquatic
11-24-2011, 10:12 PM
GE1200

We use that to build our tanks.

Call Edmonton Fasteners for it.

Ken - BWA

mr_alberta
11-24-2011, 11:18 PM
I agree with Ken, GE SCS 1200 silicon is the strongest stuff out there and is what our tank builder uses as well.