PDA

View Full Version : LF : Oregon Blue Tort coral

Casey8
11-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Please let me know if you have one to frag for me.
Thanks.

paddyob
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I never knew oregon had a reef. Ha ha.

apexifd
11-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I never knew oregon had a reef. Ha ha.

try Idaho Grape Montipora

paddyob
11-23-2011, 03:36 PM
try Idaho Grape Montipora

Funny names huh? Should be Idaho Potato Monitpora. LOL.

Would prefer them called perhaps by where they come from. I guess this is how LFS's try convince us only they have it?

Delphinus
11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Oceanic was posting availability of this one a couple days ago. I'm very tempted myself as this has been on my wishlist for about 11 years. Not very commonly available up here that's for sure.

apexifd
11-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Funny names huh? Should be Idaho Potato Monitpora. LOL.

Would prefer them called perhaps by where they come from. I guess this is how LFS's try convince us only they have it?

ya.. they found this particular monti cap in someone's tank in Idaho.

fancy name helps to promote sales right? maybe I should name one of my acro as "BC Weed"

Aquattro
11-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Another good name might be "Hijacked" acro.

Guys, c'mon. Guy's looking for something, sell him one or don't reply plz.

apexifd
11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Sorry.. My bad

Mandosh
11-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Paul at Oceanic Corals definitely had Oregon Tort frags when I was there last weekend.

TimT
11-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I've got some Chilliwack tri colour tort ;^). Blue tip green body with blue polyps. Various sizes available. pm me for pricing.

Casey8
11-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your response, but you are a bit too far for me, TimT :biggrin:

reefermadness
11-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Be careful that you get a true oregon tort as there are many different types of blue torts out there and sometimes other blue torts get passed off as oregon when they are not. happened to me.

Casey8
11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Thank you reefermadness :biggrin: I actually had one, still don't know if it was a true one or not, but it had a stunning color and I like its shape.

TimT
11-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Mine are a Chilliwack Tort that is Blue tip with green body and blue polyps.

I do go into the Vancouver airport on a regular basis so distance is not an issue.

apexifd
11-23-2011, 07:56 PM

I do go into the Vancouver airport on a regular basis so distance is not an issue.

I might be interested as well..

Casey8
11-23-2011, 08:05 PM

You have a PM.

Casey8
11-23-2011, 08:11 PM
I am still looking for an Oregon blue tort frag. Please, anyone ?

George
11-23-2011, 08:32 PM
I doubt you will find any individual in the lower mainland that has true oregon tort frag for you. True Oregan tort grows painfully slow and it starts to show up in the lower mainland a year or 2 ago.
Like previous posters said, your best bet is to call oceanic coral. As of last week, they had some Oregan tort frags (blue overall including the tip, blue polyps).
But prepare to pay a premium for a frag. ;)

Casey8
11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
$100 plus tax and $20 gas ... veeeeerrrrry cheap !

Aquattro
11-23-2011, 08:42 PM
. True Oregan tort grows painfully slow

So true! My colony is still only about 4 inches. I won't be fragging it until the new year. I'll probably only take 2 frags off, and one is spoken for.

Mandosh
11-23-2011, 08:46 PM
$100 is the going rate. Rare and slow-growing...

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/ora101.html

Casey8
11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
So true! My colony is still only about 4 inches. I won't be fragging it until the new year. I'll probably only take 2 frags off, and one is spoken for.

What a teasing here ... I want it so badly !

Chowder
11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
$100 is the going rate. Rare and slow-growing...

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/ora101.html

I disagree with this. If your going off of American prices you can find it on RC for $60 right now. Slow growing for sure . I had my piece for a year and only got about a half inch of growth. I did loose my piece to flat worms or alk spikes. Not sure what on because I had both those issues happening at that time. I did pick up my piece for $40 off Jamie Cross when he took down his tank.

Chris

Aquattro
11-23-2011, 09:02 PM
What a teasing here ... I want it so badly !

I could post a pic if that tides you over :razz:

Aquattro
11-23-2011, 09:03 PM
I did pick up my piece for $40 off Jamie Cross when he took down his tank.

Chris

Ya, Jamie got this piece years and years ago, I believe from Mike Paletta..it's been around a while now.

lastlight
11-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Guys, c'mon. Guy's looking for something, sell him one or don't reply plz.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I don't have one either :biggrin:

Chowder
11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Here's a shot of the piece I had.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/oregon-1.jpg

Chris

Casey8
11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Chris , I'm DROOLING ....

Mandosh
11-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I disagree with this. If your going off of American prices you can find it on RC for $60 right now. Slow growing for sure . I had my piece for a year and only got about a half inch of growth. I did loose my piece to flat worms or alk spikes. Not sure what on because I had both those issues happening at that time. I did pick up my piece for $40 off Jamie Cross when he took down his tank.

Chris

If you base your prices off private sales on RC purple monster frags are $80 and Candy Apples and PPE's are less than $10/polyp. Plus, Canadian prices are consistently higher than those in the American market.

Chowder
11-23-2011, 09:23 PM
If you base your prices off private sales on RC purple monster frags are $80 and Candy Apples and PPE's are less than $10/polyp. Plus, Canadian prices are consistently higher than those in the American market.

I don't think or prices are higher then the states. I think our prices are consistenly lower. The market here is not as strong as it is in the states. Take Chalice , you can't sell a eye of any chalice for a hundred plus dollars here. They do it in the states everyday. OC is one of the only places here in te lower mainland that sells it . So they can command a higher price. Look at red planet. It's price was quit high, I believe $75 when it was first available. Now you can find it for around $40.

tang daddy
11-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Just to add to the debate, the true Oregon tort as they call it should have brown polyps and the coral is generally a baby teal blue. There are alot of people claiming they have it, I have bought a few pieces myself only to find out that it was a Cali tort. I bought a piece from OC a year ago and had to wait a year to get it. It was $120 for a piece the size of your thumb nail. But it was well worth the wait!

Casey8
11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I could post a pic if that tides you over :razz:

I don't mind, please share your picture here :mrgreen:

Aquattro
11-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I bought a piece from OC a year ago and had to wait a year to get it.

So you don't need the piece anymore? :razz:

Mandosh
11-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't think or prices are higher then the states. I think our prices are consistenly lower. The market here is not as strong as it is in the states. Take Chalice , you can't sell a eye of any chalice for a hundred plus dollars here. They do it in the states everyday. OC is one of the only places here in te lower mainland that sells it . So they can command a higher price. Look at red planet. It's price was quit high, I believe $75 when it was first available. Now you can find it for around $40.

Very true with the chalices. As far as the Red Planet, you can find it privately for $40 but I'd be surprised to see it in a Canadian store for that. When you consider what's involved in bringing these types of corals into the country you have to expect to pay a premium price for premium pieces. Thats why they remain rare corals.

I'm not saying $100 is a fair price for an Oregon Tort privately, likely closer to half that.

Good luck with the search.

reefermadness
11-24-2011, 12:39 AM

This is only because you are comparing to corals that can be wild caught......if you want a "true" oregon tort...you are not going to find it in any mariculutred or wild shipment. It has to come from the states and is purely captive grown.....and slow growing, hard to find, and more hard to find in Canada.....ie expensive.

Just to add to the debate, the true Oregon tort as they call it should have brown polyps and the coral is generally a baby teal blue. There are alot of people claiming they have it, I have bought a few pieces myself only to find out that it was a Cali tort. I bought a piece from OC a year ago and had to wait a year to get it. It was $120 for a piece the size of your thumb nail. But it was well worth the wait! I don't know if I would call the colour baby teal.....IMO its more royal blue.

HERE IS THE BIGGEST TELL OF A TRUE OREGON TORT. It is solid blue from base to tip...ie. no light coloured growth tips like most torts and other corals. Probably due to the slow growth.

When you consider what's involved in bringing these types of corals into the country you have to expect to pay a premium price for premium pieces.

Ya what is involved to import these captive raised american corals that have no CITES information into Canada. Only know one store who has figured that out.

wayner
11-24-2011, 12:52 AM
A TRUE OREGON TORT. It is solid blue from base to tip...ie. no light coloured growth tips like most torts and other corals. Probably due to the slow growth.

This is exactly the way mine is - just encrusting at the base right now - but i agree, it's more of a Royal Blue and the nicest Blue I've ever seen., blue from base to the very tip - and a very slow grower

PMC
11-24-2011, 01:05 AM
I think they already have something called "BC Weed", and from what I understand it sells really well.

ya.. they found this particular monti cap in someone's tank in Idaho.

fancy name helps to promote sales right? maybe I should name one of my acro as "BC Weed"

Casey8
11-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Psstt ... I am telling you guys a big secret here ... Tangdaddy is going to get a REAL Oregon blue tort from Paul. Let him grow it a year or so then we can come and bug him after :wink: I live very close to him just half block away from my appartment, so I will be the first one in the line :mrgreen:

Chowder
11-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Psstt ... I am telling you guys a big secret here ... Tangdaddy is going to get a REAL Oregon blue tort from Paul. Let him grow it a year or so then we can come and bug him after :wink: I live very close to him just half block away from my appartment, so I will be the first one in the line :mrgreen:

I think the line already started.:biggrin:

Chris

Casey8
11-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Let's see who will be running faster to get the first frag :wink:

apexifd
11-24-2011, 02:06 AM
So you don't need the piece anymore? :razz:

if he doesn't then I want it. :big grin:

I think they already have something called "BC Weed", and from what I understand it sells really well.

mine is going to be a fatty.

Haloreef
11-24-2011, 02:11 AM
Just picked up my frag off of Paul at Oceanic tonight! I did have a piece years ago from either Mark or Jamie can't remember. There is no doubt in my mind that this frag is the real thing. I have been nagging Paul to frag it pretty much every second day for well over a year. He finaly caved and he fragged it tonight. He must have finaly had enough! If you want a frag you better act quick!
Keith.

Casey8
11-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Oh oh ... Where is Tangdaddy ? You'd better run fast in the early morning before the store opens. I am relying on you for that coral, please don't let me down.

Ripwoop
11-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Just picked up my frag off of Paul at Oceanic tonight! I did have a piece years ago from either Mark or Jamie can't remember. There is no doubt in my mind that this frag is the real thing. I have been nagging Paul to frag it pretty much every second day for well over a year. He finaly caved and he fragged it tonight. He must have finaly had enough! If you want a frag you better act quick!
Keith.

just think if you did it every day you would have had your frag in 6 months.. lol :)

Haloreef
11-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Yup that's me doing every thing half @$$ed!

tang daddy
11-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Wow so much talk for one night, anyhow it could be a royal blue colour depends on lighting and the system. Another fact about the Oregon tort is there is no green hue on the body or mouth. Paul said he was going to frag the Oregon tort yesterday when I talked to him so Keith and I will definitely have a piece... No need to run, as I may slip, fall and injure myself then none of the people depending on a frag from me will get one.

And to Brad(Aquattro), I am still patiently waiting for a piece of your beautiful tort!

Casey8
11-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Yup... don't want that to happen to you. You need to eat healthy, move slowly and survive 'til I get the frag from you next year.

KPG007
11-24-2011, 10:36 PM
And to Brad(Aquattro), I am still patiently waiting for a piece of your beautiful tort!

What?! Brad are you holding out on me? What does this tort look like? If Chris is waiting for one, I think I need a piece too!

As for the Oregon Tort - put my name in the mix for one. It's been on my wish list for a few years now. I've bought a handful already claiming to be Oregons, and they all turn out to be more in the range of a Cali Tort.

Aquattro
11-24-2011, 11:05 PM
What?! Brad are you holding out on me? What does this tort look like? If Chris is waiting for one, I think I need a piece too!

As for the Oregon Tort - put my name in the mix for one. It's been on my wish list for a few years now. I've bought a handful already claiming to be Oregons, and they all turn out to be more in the range of a Cali Tort.

Lol! I'm not 100% it's Oregon, or Cali, or what it is, I've never been big on names. I'll send you a pic, you can decide what it is. I'll bring you a piece next time I'm in Cloverdale.

Haloreef
11-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey, anything Chris wants, I want first!
Just sayin.
Next time you are in Cloverdale bring two! lol.
Keith.

vanreefer
11-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I have the rest of that colony... the body is a little on the green side but tips are super blue/purple...I think coral colouration is dependant on lighting and water params... I have some frags available of this coral... very slow grower but sure purdy!!

I did pick up my piece for $40 off Jamie Cross when he took down his tank.

Chris

Gooly001
11-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Some people have requested me to post up a pic of our OT.

Here it is.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=638&pictureid=4980

Thanks. All frags are sold. More available in 2 years.

Paul

Casey8
11-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Now you made me regret that I didn't buy it ... It is really well worth the money. I shouldn't had been that stingy :twised:

Gooly001
11-25-2011, 12:55 AM
There's only one other coral that is even more painfully slow to grow...Purple Monster.

Google search that one. It's just as amazing if not more so then OT. Even with my resources I only manage to ever get one frag a year of PM.

Highly recommend this one for all you crazy sps collectors.

Casey8
11-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Oh gosh, I think I have to work overtime to get extra money for that purple monster too. Please don't add any more "monster" sps list ... you made me crazy ...