PDA

View Full Version : DIY Fish and coral food.

BMahura
11-23-2011, 03:14 AM
I was curious to see what all you fellow reefers use for DIY fish and coral food. Was wanting to give it a try but am unsure everything i should add

nozwal
11-23-2011, 03:21 AM
I bought some giant live scallops, pull the guts out then chopped it all up then pour some "fuel" to soak it then freeze.

I also buy frozen tuna (ones you would use for sashimi ) fish LOVES it. i havent seen fishes go as crazy for tuna than any other food.

BMahura
11-23-2011, 03:26 AM
I dont think i got your reference to FUEL lol explanation please

nozwal
11-23-2011, 03:31 AM
srry :P

its http://www.aquavitro.com/Products/fuel.html

BMahura
11-23-2011, 03:38 AM
thanks that makes a little more seance:biggrin:

phi delt reefer
11-23-2011, 04:20 AM
i buy a bag of sea food melody - about the size of a bag of beef jerky - for 3.99 - has squid, shrimp, octopus, some sort of fish, clam meat, scallops etc. I guess people use it in pasta and soups.

i mix that with a couple cloves of garlic.

add a couple spoons of NLS small fish food pellet (for a couple of my pickier guys)

add in a 1/4 tub of NEW ERA MARINE HERBAVORE flake (everyone needs their veggies)

also add a few sprays of NEW ERA Marine lysome (spelling?) spray for vitamins and amino acids.

blend it all.

I have enough food for 6 months. I even gave some large chunks to friends to try and all their fish love it.

BMahura
11-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Thanks. Im going to have to try this blend.
Where do you get the seafood bag? Like at safeway or superstore?

eli@fijireefrock.com
11-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks. Im going to have to try this blend.
Where do you get the seafood bag? Like at safeway or superstore?

I. Do almost the same recipe,almost all grocery stores carry it under frozen section.I give my mix a rinse 1st and add what you Like into it,then after mix is ready blend it to the consistency you like for the size of fish you have,roll it in tube like with creamy wrap freezer it and voila fish and corals go crazy for this blend.:question:

BMahura
11-23-2011, 05:30 AM
roll it in tube like with creamy wrap
What do you mean by this. Sorry for my misunderstanding

shootingstar
11-23-2011, 07:32 PM
I use the same seafood blend as mentioned above however I noticed that the label says clams or mussels that are cooked so I remove those first.
Don't know if it is harmful but figured the fish don't need a cooked meat source.

I also add half a package or tray of scallops. I add fresh garlic or the garlic extreme (whatever I have on hand) and some broken up nori.

blend it all up in the blender and pour it into a large ziplock bag.

Freeze for a day or two till it is a very solid slab.

Remove, let soften for just a few minutes and then I cut it into squares (about the same size as the ones we buy) throw them back into a ziplock and back into the freezer.

My critters love the stuff.

kien
11-24-2011, 02:41 AM
My method :)

Homemade reef food (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=483333&postcount=257)

Hustler
11-25-2011, 01:07 AM
With the garlic thats fresh.... I notice my guys spit out the crushed garlic i add... do you blend it real fine first?
Ide rather the fresh stuff then extract if everything else im adding is fresh aswell :)

BMahura
11-25-2011, 01:29 AM
When i was treating for ich i used fresh crushed garlic with mysis and all my fish ate the garlic as well as mysis. i just made sure it was super small peices

phi delt reefer
11-25-2011, 02:10 AM
i froze mine into flat bars by putting the blended slurry on piece of saran wrap on a baking tray that fit my freezer and them folded the saran wrap over and sealed the edges to keep air out. i think flatted it out so it was about 1/4" thick and let it freeze. I cut it into bars the next day (rock solid) and just shave a bit into a cup of tank water when i feed. It melts in two minutes if shave it and it stops chunks that got missed by the blender from polluting ur tank (i have nano fish so big chunks never get finished)

Hustler
11-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Just to double check.... Clam meat is ok if its raw?

r.a.s.henson
12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
how does your skimmer reacts with all this protien in your water... i'd like to try this home made food.
i bought a bag of that seafood mix last night but i used it to make my awesome seafod chowder
and it was good for my belly not the fish...hahahah and my skimmer went crazy. hahahah

reefwars
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Just to double check.... Clam meat is ok if its raw?

and rinsed..be sure to take a good smell of the clam to make sure its not rotting first;)

Nano
12-07-2011, 09:05 PM
neat I was looking for a Diy SW recipe, I feed me cichlids home made food for almost 2 years, its basically just prawns, spinach, peas, and loads of garlic. They love it and I haven't lost a fish to date! I was always curious of the applications of this in saltwater though. cool thread!