PDA

View Full Version : Sea Slugs/ Nudibranchs?

Mak
06-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Hello,
Found these 2, 3 millimeter long by 1 millimeter wide slugger guys. They are a reddish pink without shells, and appear to have some kind of spikes or something like that on there backs. There are 2 of them and they appear to be just a tad bit different, probably a male and female. Went to the Sea Slug Forum and could not id them( probably cause they are babies? ). So what should I do? Should I get rid of them all together or should I put them in my Ref? :confused: .

Mak
06-29-2002, 09:40 PM
Forgot to mention that I saw a little bit of algae on the glass and when he cruised over it, it appeared that it ate some of the algae.

bcdope
06-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Hey Mak: sounds like its a bristle worm and not a slug.... if it is a bristle worm, just leave them in your tank since they are beneficial for the LR.... also do not touch the bristles, as they can sting like hell and have a tendency to become embedded into the skin....

Cheers

bcdope
06-29-2002, 10:12 PM
BTW, where is your AVATAR!

bcdope
06-29-2002, 10:12 PM
:confused:

Mak
06-29-2002, 11:17 PM
No, definatly isn't a Bristleworm. It is some kind of Sea slug or Nudibranch. I must have seen a couple hundred or so different pics alone on the Sea slug forum. They are pretty cool looking but without the elaborate colouring.

Your G.W. avatar was working fine before you changed it ;) , my avatar is working fine as well :D .

bcdope
06-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Its too bad you didn't have a digital camera, cause I'd like to take a look at that slug myself...do you know if its a he or she :confused:

Mak, you're avatar doesn't seem to load up properly, or maybe its just on my end .... the GW avie didn't seem to work, so Im using this more conservative one for now....

hows dat slug doing these daze MAK?

Mak
06-30-2002, 01:48 AM
Grrrrrrr :mad: ... just came back from a rescue mission. My Bi-color Blenny knocked over my little Hammer frag, down into a hole in the rock at the back of my tank. Now he sits pretty elsewhere :D .

There are 2 of them, 1 has larger spines or whatever they are, so I think possibly 1 could be male and the other one of course a female.

Hmmm... all Avatar's working fine over here. You don't have to worry about being consecutive with Avatars here ( check out Smokingreefer's Avatar LOL ), everybody here is pretty laid back... I think ;) .

Both slugger's are MIA, hope they did or didn't breed and bounce :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Dale D
06-30-2002, 04:56 AM
Mak

Keep an eye on them in your tank. Some are harmless algea eaters, but, alot of them are coral eaters. If you see them on any of your corals, you my want to remove them from the tank.

If they are a male and female you could end up with a bunch of them. A good thing if they are Herbivores smile.gif ,but, a bad thing if they are not :( .

Dale

Mak
06-30-2002, 10:25 PM
Thanks Dale,

The bigger one is back on the glass. I'll keep a good eye on them, there might poosibly be a very small clump of eggs there too :confused: .