PDA

View Full Version : LF opinions on best skimmer for a heavy stocked 210 gallon mixed reef w/ 75 gal sump

jjntm
11-22-2011, 12:32 AM
plan to stock with sps and some lps for coral... many tangs and a few angels... heavy stock... either in sump or external... so far I am leaning towards the SWC's.... one of these...

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=38

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=114

anyone with larger tanks please give me some input...

Acipenser
11-22-2011, 03:02 AM
I think you posted in the wrong section.

BlueTang<3
11-22-2011, 03:04 AM
I hear swc's are good but in that price range have you looked at the vertex alpha cone line much ?

no_bs
11-22-2011, 03:41 AM
H&S, Deltec.

Bblinks
11-22-2011, 04:12 AM
I am running a bbk 250 on my 210 with a 90 gallon sump. I have mostly sps and few lps. Depends on how many tangs you want even with the bbk I am having issue keeping up with my there bioload. I have a sail fin, a hippo that are 5 inches in length, a Achilles that's 6 inches, yellow, powder blue 3 1/2 inches and a kole around 3 inches. I also keep 8 chromis, bicolor blenny, leopard wrasse, mystery wrasse, 4 clowns, Swiss guard, yellow tail damsel, hawk fish, dwarf angle, giant anthias that think it's a grouper. Even with pellets, carbon and rowaphos, it's hard to keep all the sps happy. My skimmer needs to be cleaned out every few days. If I had a choice I would have gone with a bbk 300. I know I know those dame bbk are so ridiculously expensive but if your funds allow you go for the biggest skimmer you can, for me reliability is top priority, secondely noise level is also a important aspect. If bbk is not an option then I would honestly consider maybe the vertex 300, still the same make just a little different almost like buying a Mercedes with out getting the rear view camera option, not a big deal. Just make sure you have enough clearance in the sump for the big b£€¥#. I tried to get the vertex 300 and until I got it home I realize that it wasn't gonna fit even with a 36 inch tall stand. Sorry went off topic a bit. Third choice will be deltec, again still pretty steep in price but the chances of you upgrading to a better skimmer will be slim to none if you decided to go with one of the three choices.

P.s. Sometimes I think this hobby is worst then smoking crack. let us know what you end up going with.

no_bs
11-22-2011, 04:19 AM
P.s. Sometimes I think this hobby is worst then smoking crack.

Sometimes! It frikken is!

fishytime
11-22-2011, 04:24 AM
I follow the premiss that you get what you pay for when it comes to some things in this hobby.....skimming being one of them.........does a deltec or Bubble King skim THAT much better than some of the less expensive skimmers.....probably not....but I can say that they will last longer.......quite a few people have had to replace the pumps on the SWC skimmers in a relatively short time

jjntm
11-22-2011, 04:28 AM
haven't looked at vertex much cuz I kept hearing that it was more of a good entry level skimmer... I prefer to over skim (currently running a tunze 9016 on a 135 gal) to prevent water quality issues and keep everything stable...

I was told by paul at oceanic that the SWC's use the same pumps as bbk... and for a $180 upgrade I can get the bbk impeller and I pretty much have the bbk at less then 1/2 price... which is why I was leaning that way...

I will look into the other options given, thanks for all of your input... I have 2 months to figure it all out before I swap from the 135 to the 210... so we will see what happens... I will take any input advice that comes my way and appreciate it...thanks in advance.

no_bs
11-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Pumps on my H&S are 4.5 years old. The have very minor wear. Never any issues.

mat20040
11-22-2011, 04:52 AM
I have a same set up, and looking for a skimmer
I have looked at vertex cone 200 and 250, those skimmer need max 9 inch of water level and they are around 23-25 inches in hight but back order from J&L.
if you find a good skimmer let me know

mat20040
11-22-2011, 05:00 AM
does swc uses the red dragon pump ?
thats the pump on BBK

Bblinks
11-22-2011, 05:12 AM
does swc uses the red dragon pump ?
thats the pump on BBK

I don't think so but not 100% positive. Paul's usually on the ball but doesn't swc comes with askoll pumps? isn't askoll made in itali? Bbk uses red dragon and I think the newer model comes with titanium pin wheel which in my mind will be by far the best pin wheel for longevity.

jagermaier
11-22-2011, 05:35 AM
You could get the Precision Marine Bullet 3, it is rated for 400 gal so should easily handle your 210 heavily stocked. I have one but haven't used it yet, I'm in the processs of upgrading my sump and will see how it performs then.

FishyFishy!
11-22-2011, 04:15 PM
I think that this is a crazy good deal and worth the drive for this guy's Reeflo Orca 250. I've seen these skimmers in action and they're nuts.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80028

tony_3a
11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I think that this is a crazy good deal and worth the drive for this guy's Reeflo Orca 250. I've seen these skimmers in action and they're nuts.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80028

Funny you say that I sent him a message a bit ago, I agree it is a amazing skimmer I am just downsizing!