PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this algae(?) growth

newreefer_59
11-21-2011, 06:25 PM
My tank has recently had some purple(ish) algae growing over the gravel in 2 spots - both area are about 3-4 inches in length. it looks like algae, but wondering what it really is and why is it growing there and how do I get rid of it...thx.

Seamazter
11-21-2011, 06:29 PM
cyano bacteria.

Seamazter
11-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Physical remove is best, use a small hose and siphon it out.
Its mostly caused from overfeeding, too much light or not enough water flow.

newreefer_59
11-21-2011, 09:18 PM
appreciate it.

Nano
11-21-2011, 10:47 PM
appreciate it.

+1 to above, I had some in my tank, just a small amount, and I just used a turkey baster to suck it out, took maybe 5 minutes, and now its gone.

Myka
11-21-2011, 11:44 PM
It will probably come back tomorrow. It feeds off nutrients, and can be a pain in the butt to get rid of completely. Check the link in my signature about nuisance algae. Cyano is not an algae, but the same treatment works.

Nano
11-21-2011, 11:50 PM
It will probably come back tomorrow. It feeds off nutrients, and can be a pain in the butt to get rid of completely. Check the link in my signature about nuisance algae. Cyano is not an algae, but the same treatment works.

I checked it out, but dont see the write up on cyano--- maybe I missed it. whats the best way to get rid of it, I mean I had it like a week and a half ago, and hasn't come back yet, but I'm sure it could

Myka
11-22-2011, 12:44 AM
I checked it out, but dont see the write up on cyano--- maybe I missed it. whats the best way to get rid of it, I mean I had it like a week and a half ago, and hasn't come back yet, but I'm sure it could

There is no specific write-up on cyanobacteria, the treatment is the same as hair algae except you siphon out the cyano where you trim the hair algae with scissors. Adding a filter sock on the overflow that gets changed out daily also helps with cyano. The article basically describes how to lower nutrients.

Madreefer
11-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Hey Myka you do know that none of yer links work eh?

reeferious
11-22-2011, 02:58 AM
you need to look for long term solution to rid yourself of those cyano outbreaks. if you can't cut down on your feedings then you should increase your water change frequencies, run phosphate absorbance medias be they rowaphorse or simple vodka/ vinegar dosings which i'm into right now (so much cheaper) and work just as fine once you're dialed in. just my 2 pennies thought.