View Full Version : help identify?

doobiej
11-20-2011, 06:00 PM
recently appeared, all over sand and rock and glass

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=598&pictureid=4974
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=598&pictureid=4975

xtreme
11-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Flatworms of some sort. Are they on any coral?

ILIKECOUGARS
11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
+1 on flatworms.

no_bs
11-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Wo, outbreak of flat worms. Time to get a 6 line, you might get away with 2.

doobiej
11-20-2011, 06:17 PM
just all over the sand/glass and rock, none seem to be anywhere on/near corals.
how do I get rid of them?

no_bs
11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Time to get a 6 line, you might get away with 2.

Wrasse

ILIKECOUGARS
11-20-2011, 06:27 PM
That what my tank looked like. I have a 6 line wrasse, did not touch them. I had to nude the tank with flatworm exit, and now thinking of adding a Melanurus Wrasse to control them

doobiej
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
did the flatworm exit harm anything else in your tank?

i wouldnt mind having a 6line anyway, read that mandarin dragonet would eat as well?

might try both methods, ive vaccummed out as much as I can but still comes back.

parameters are all good, po4 is a bit high right now because my R/O filters were depleted but have replaced and back down to 1-3TDS.

would the high po4 cause this?

no_bs
11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Really. We had an outbreak once, didn't get a six line for months. Didn't know about this site, did some reading got a six line. They were gone within the month. We have had him for over 5 years, he also has a mate. I don't dip s*$t, with my wrasses nothing lives long. Who needs chemicals when you have natural defences.

ILIKECOUGARS
11-20-2011, 06:45 PM
did the flatworm exit harm anything else in your tank?

Flatworm Exit is reef safe, Just follow the instruction.

would the high po4 cause this?
No

ILIKECOUGARS
11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Really. We had an outbreak once, didn't get a six line for months. Didn't know about this site, did some reading got a six line. They were gone within the month. We have had him for over 5 years, he also has a mate. I don't dip s*$t, with my wrasses nothing lives long. Who needs chemicals when you have natural defences.

I had mine for 4+ years, before I had an outbreak. It's hit and miss if they will control flatworms. Count yourself lucky that your will control them.:smile:

That why I am thinking of a Melanurus Wrasse now.

Myka
11-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Melanurus is probably a better choice since they aren't as aggressive as 6-Lines can be. I would suggest Flatworm Exit and then a wrasse to help after. Be sure to follow the directions very well. Give yourself an entire afternoon for the treatment. Siphon out as many as you can (even if that means siphoning out a bunch of sand/gravel), then treat, then siphon out all the dead ones, and add a bunch of fresh carbon. They release a toxin when they die so you need to try to siphon out as many as possible. Provided you do that, the treatment is taken well.