PDA

View Full Version : Melanurus Wrasse.

ILIKECOUGARS
11-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Are they reef safe, Invert safe.

Last week I treated the tank with flatworm exit, and not sure if I wiped them all out. I would have to order more for another treatment.

I would like to add a Melanurus Wrasse. to control flatworm if some survived the treatment.
I was at a lfs yesterday to pick up some peppermint shrimps, and was going to get the Melanurus Wrasse. But, was told may not be reef safe.

I would hate to lose any of my shrimps and snails to this fish. As for coral only have Lps and soft.

Ed

badfish!
11-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I've had one in my tank for a few months, and he hasnt picked on any of my shrimps or hermits or corals. I think it comes down to individual fish on whether they will pick on things or not.

no_bs
11-20-2011, 06:28 PM
We have one, and he is an avid hunter of the unwanted and lives in our reef. 3 years now.

ILIKECOUGARS
11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
We have one, and he is an avid hunter of the unwanted and lives in our reef. 3 years now.

Good to know.
I guess it hasn't touch any shrimps or snails?

no_bs
11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Nope, we have a cleaner and a few pepermints. Forgot about the 2 sixlines to

Ian
11-20-2011, 07:43 PM
had mine for about 2 yrs and a super fish no issues and connot find a worm in my 180.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
They tend to be reef-safe. Only seem to get riled up with other similar wrasses.

Myka
11-20-2011, 10:04 PM
They tend to be reef-safe. Only seem to get riled up with other similar wrasses.

Agreed. I have one in my reef. He spends all day hunting around the tank. He picks at corals (I think getting "bugs") although he doesn't damage the corals, and there is a Peppermint shrimp in there too. He keeps bristleworms in check. He may have killed a couple snails, but I can't be sure...didn't see him do it.