PDA

View Full Version : Polarizers

Myka
11-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone use a polarizer on their camera? Does it help prevent reflection on water surface? Even with a photo box I have trouble with reflection within the box from the lights. I don't see this when I wear polarized sunglasses.

KevinK
11-20-2011, 03:06 PM
polarizer's are great in general, for outdoor, it makes pictures warmer and gives them more depth.

nice thing is that you can turn it to your liking

I kind of use it all the time, as kind of a UV filter on my camera, I never used it when taking pictures of my tank, but I asume it wil take 90% of your reflection away.

only thing you have to watch out for is movement of your camera, as there might be slightly less light in a tank picture, but try to lower your shutter in that case, worst thing is getting the tripot out

Delphinus
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
As a matter of habit I've always used a polarizer filter on my cameras (at least those for which it's an option, my old 35mm SLR and now my current DSLR - although to be fair I'm using the same lenses, hahaha). But if I were ever to buy a new lens I'd still put a polarizer on it. It should help with the glare if you can get the right angle on it, but like Kevin mentioned it gives a certain something to the pictures - the colours or the contrast just have a little more "pop" to them while still staying natural.

StirCrazy
11-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I use both a UV and a circular polarizer on my camera, a regular polarizer won't make the top of the water dissapear, you need a circular one.

I have never used it on my tank, because your top of you tank would have to be dead still for it to work, and I don't chut down pumps for pictures. where it realy did shine is when I was in hawaii taking pictures in the aquarium of there out door tidal pool.

I mostly use it for landscape pictures where I don't want the lake reflection.

I have one I done use anymore what size and style you looking for?

Steve

Myka
11-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Well it sounds interesting for sure, thanks for the comments.

Steve, I have a G9 with a 58 mm lens adapter. http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/g9.php

StirCrazy
11-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Well it sounds interesting for sure, thanks for the comments.

Steve, I have a G9 with a 58 mm lens adapter. http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/g9.php

OK, I am watching the game now, tonight or tomorrow I'll dig out my lens' for my old camera and see what size they are, but 58mm is sounding familiar.

Steve