PDA

View Full Version : jumping tube anenome

STANKYfish
11-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Why is my one anemone "jumping" out of its tube??? It is in a biocube with another tube (which does not jump out) and a rock anemone and a fuzzy mushroom. It has been put back in the tube but likes to be out??

daniella3d
11-19-2011, 08:20 PM
It probably does not want to be out, but simply change location. They become very large and maybe when it expend at night it just touch or being touched by another coral and don't like it. Mine was extending to a disk of about 10" diameter at night.

So it simply want to relocate and build another tube. Try to move the tube where it can have either less current or more room.

Why is my one anemone "jumping" out of its tube??? It is in a biocube with another tube (which does not jump out) and a rock anemone and a fuzzy mushroom. It has been put back in the tube but likes to be out??

bvlester
11-19-2011, 11:01 PM
+1 they will jump when they don't like where they are. when it like its home it will stay put.

Bill

STANKYfish
11-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will relocate, although it had no reason, flow was good , nothing touching. Is it possible that it make a new tube for itself when it finds its new home or should i dig up the used home and move it as well?

daniella3d
11-21-2011, 12:10 AM
They don't like too strong flow. They are delicate and to fully expand they need a gentle flow.

I have build a tube for mine that I made out of pink epoxy putty. it was about 5" high and about 2" in diameter. Mine absolutely loved that tube and felt really secure and comfortable in it so it build its own tube inside that epoxy one and never left it.

They need at least 5" of sand and if you don't have enough sand it is best to build a tube like I did. I have put the edges of the tube going outward and rounded so that it would feel really comfortable for the anemone (alghouth it's a worm) so it would not dammage its tentacles on sharp edges.

I did the same outward edge at the base to that it would be more stable and would not fell on its side when resting on the sand.

I know it's not a great video but on the extreme left in the sand in front of the tank, you can see the tube I built for the anemone and the round outward going edges, same thing is at the bottom. It had build its tube inside of it and it never moved. You can also see how gentle the flow is as you can see a bit of the purple tentacles waving with the current. Watch at 720p to see the detail better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3fH97_4v0&feature=player_detailpage

Thanks for the responses. I will relocate, although it had no reason, flow was good , nothing touching. Is it possible that it make a new tube for itself when it finds its new home or should i dig up the used home and move it as well?