PDA

View Full Version : Too Much humidity

Steve'o
11-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi guys/girls
Have a question.. I have way to much humidity in my house i have noticed since it has gotten colder. I'm sure it has something to do with my 90 Gal tank in the house and my 40 gal sump.. windows have ice on them .. and lots of condensation.. not good for the wood on thew inside.
Any help on what to do?
I loose about 2 gal of water every few days in my setup from evaporation? Is this normal?
Steve'o

AquaticFinatic
11-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Search for HRV on here and there are lots of threads. It will also include what other people do to solve this problem. Personally I run a HRV best thing I think. Hope that helps. Good luck.

mike31154
11-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Here's a thread with plenty of discussion on the subject.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80119

Raf
11-19-2011, 04:32 PM
You can try adding lids to your sump/tank for starts.

mattdean
11-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Can you install a vent to the outside in the ceiling above the tank? that's what i did and it keeps the humidity down nicely. Also, you may need to run a dehumidifier. Just make sure you get a GOOD vent, or it won't be able to keep up.

Otherwise, the HRV is the way to go

staceyd72
11-19-2011, 10:25 PM
An HRV would be the ideal way to go, but if you're on a budget try one of these inline fans...super quiet and move a ton of air.

Elicent-in-line (http://www.canadianwholesalehydroponics.com/products.cfm?p_id=100&show_details=1&catpage=2)

Steve'o
11-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Well find out I do have an HVR system in my house so I am totally confused as to why the build up of humidity..
jimbo222 was nice enough to give me some advice.. looks like it is working Jim.. have had the furnace fan on all the time and the windows have almiost cleared up.. will keep that now full time..
Steve

outacontrol
11-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Put a lid on your tank, and sump

Steve'o
11-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Still a problem this morning.. lots of condensation on most of the windows overnight and fair buildup of ice also...
Will have to get someone in to look at this.. don't want to ruin all the window woodwork..
Steve

mike31154
11-20-2011, 04:03 PM
That's strange, and you have an HRV. One of the colder evenings around here these days (-8C) and there's no sign of moisture on any of my windows this morning. 77 gal sumpless with open top sitting within a few feet of two windows. I do not have an HRV. I guess sometimes having a leaky old house has it's pros. My furnace is not the latest, but not all that old either. There is no humidifier on it and the house feels comfortable humidity wise. I guess my tank is sized almost perfect for winter humidification, it evaporates around a gallon a day, give or take. Hygrometer reads 53 right at the moment, which according to the scale on it, is on the low side of normal.

Raf
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Still a problem this morning.. lots of condensation on most of the windows overnight and fair buildup of ice also...
Will have to get someone in to look at this.. don't want to ruin all the window woodwork..
Steve

single pane or double? metal frames or vinyl??

molotov
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
What is the actual humidity in your house. I don't have my tank setup yet and I have a steam humidifier in my house to increase the humidity level. I have set my thermostat for 35% humidity in my house. My double panned windows have some condensation on them and some ice on the bottom. My triple pane windows have no condensation on them at all.

You could upgrade your windows to triple pane.

Otherwise what is the humidity at in your house?