PDA

View Full Version : Going to add Fish #2 To the nano

Nano
11-19-2011, 12:37 AM
BELOW IS WHAT I WROTE BEFORE WHEN I WAS USING TEST STRIPS INSTEAD OF LIQUID TESTS WHICH I AM NOW USING

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
I will be adding my second fish to my tank tomorrow (FINALLY!!!) :mrgreen: I'm still not 100% sure I'm thinking either a dottyback or a firefish goby, but who knows! maybe I'll see something else I like. I'm prepared to spend $35 on a fish (oops honey I lost the receipt!) any suggestions?

Myka
11-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Only put a Dottyback in there if that's the only other fish you want. Dottybacks should be added as the last fish, they will get territorial. Are you wanting an Orchid? They are the lesser of the jerks, but they will probably be more than $35. Firefish are awesome...one of my favs...need a covered tank for sure.

Nano
11-19-2011, 12:46 AM
orchid? as in purple? I was thinking of the half purple half yellow dotty. but I think I will add him last if thats the case. I might do the firefish, but I'm still thinking about that one... its a tough call I might want to do a different one lol

Myka
11-19-2011, 12:51 AM
You're thinking about the Royal Dotty...or maybe a Royal Gramma? Both can be quite the jerks. Depends what else you want to keep in the tank. The Orchid Dotty is the purple one with the black eye stripe. The one without the eye stripe is a Strawberry Dotty and a real big jerk...BIG jerk.

Nano
11-19-2011, 12:56 AM
You're thinking about the Royal Dotty...or maybe a Royal Gramma? Both can be quite the jerks. Depends what else you want to keep in the tank. The Orchid Dotty is the purple one with the black eye stripe. The one without the eye stripe is a Strawberry Dotty and a real big jerk...BIG jerk.

lol gotcha. Dottyback=last fish. firefish is a maybe, I think I might like a yellow watchman goby or bicolor blenny or tailspot blenny(if I could find one!!:twised:) or a 2 spot goby. I love blennies and gobies

dc4
11-19-2011, 12:59 AM
lol gotcha. Dottyback=last fish. firefish is a maybe, I think I might like a yellow watchman goby or bicolor blenny or tailspot blenny(if I could find one!!:twised:) or a 2 spot goby. I love blennies and gobies

Love my bicolor blenny...

Nano
11-19-2011, 01:01 AM
well thats my wifes favorite, lol so I could get away with one I think. I just havent found one yet haha, maybe tomorrow I'll get lucky!

Beverly
11-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Personally, I would not get a dottyback. I might go with a goby that likes to burrow in the sand. They have a lot of personality.

Information on Gobies (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/Gobies/).

luvthereefer
11-19-2011, 01:05 AM
i thought the royal gramma was the less-aggressive yellow/purple alternative
to the dottyback.

Nano
11-19-2011, 01:06 AM
yeah I'm thinking thats the direction I'm leaning in, my clown needs a "fish" friend cause he and our cleaner shrimp are attached at the 'fin' lol its pretty sad.

Beverly
11-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Here's a better link for gobies (http://www.aquacon.com/blennies_saltwaterfish.html) :)

Nano
11-19-2011, 01:24 AM
star blenny, yasha's, yellow nose prawn goby, twinspot, are all on my wish list as well, again its coming down to availability in edmonton though, and I havent found one yet except a twinspot at big als but his tank was full of dead fish.

Myka
11-19-2011, 01:26 AM
You don't want all those fish in your tank do you?

Nano
11-19-2011, 01:35 AM
You don't want all those fish in your tank do you?

LOL no of course not, those are just the ones I would like to choose from but I can never find any of them. If I could I would do the bi color blenny, Yasha and watchman or the twin spot. but then again thats almost pushing it i think

Nano
11-19-2011, 01:50 AM
4 fish for 20 gallons with a sump.. I dont think thats too much as long as they are smaller but I could be wrong

BMahura
11-19-2011, 02:18 AM
I agree with myka about the dottybacks. Had one in my 55 and as much as I loved him he would beat the crap out of any fish I added. Their are so many awesome gobies as well as blennies that would be alot better for a nano tank.

Myka
11-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Btw, you can only have one Blenny in a tank unless it is really big. They will usually fight.

Nano
11-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Oh one blenny? well I'll get the bi color for now unless my lfs has a tailspot blenny (fingers crossed)!! thats the one fish I'd really like the most. althought bi color blennies do have a ton of personality.. tough choice to make here I suppose lol!

Nano
11-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Oh one blenny? well I'll get the bi color for now unless my lfs has a tailspot blenny (fingers crossed)!! thats the one fish I'd really like the most. althought bi color blennies do have a ton of personality.. tough choice to make here I suppose lol!

looks like I have some thinking to do tonight haha.. can even make my mind up on paper. lol

fishytime
11-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Btw, you can only have one Blenny in a tank unless it is really big. They will usually fight.

and even then sometimes, not so much.....Laurie couldnt do two blennies in a 230g tank:surprise:

Nano
11-19-2011, 06:12 AM
I dont think I'll be adding anything after all check out this thread on my params with my new test kit ( I was using test strips before) god I'm just making mistake after mistake. fudge...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=80214